CLS Heated Rear Window

Eggsy01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls
Hello, my first post!
New Forum member with his first Mercedes, who's been looking through various threads from way back on various subjects, the people here seem to know a thing or two. Most refreshing!
My heated rear window doesn't appear to work, the button indicator comes on for about 10 mins. I have searched threads, checked and swapped relays, checked fuses etc. I've checked its actually connected, checked for voltage at connector and found a slow rise to 12 ish volts at plug until connector plugged in then it drops to zero. The slow rise leads me to believe its not the window, but I don't know. What and where is this heated rear window control unit I keep reading about?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Eggsy.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
The rear sam controls the heated rear window, thats the relay box in the boot, thats the most common fault for screen faults, dont show fault codes as a rule so simple muti meter skills needed to test which it sounds like you have done..................my next move would be another sam......

OP
E

Eggsy01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls
Thanks for that swift reply.
I had a good look around that unit, I take it the SAM is the fuse/relay box?
I found the relay above the one that should power the rear screen would click with the HRW button, I did wonder if both should click? Swapped them over as they're identical to no avail. Perhaps I've got a dry joint in there being a high load consumer, a common source of problems you say?
Gotta be worth seeing if it'll come apart.

OP
E

Eggsy01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls
Again thanks.
I've been out in the cold having a look, and whilst there cleaning & remaking all the earth points down there, JUST in case!
Anything I should be aware of before removing SAM unit?
I imagine disconnecting the main battery is a good start, but otherwise just a simple removal?
Thanks.

OP
E

Eggsy01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls
It would appear I've solved my rear window problem.
Whilst looking into what was involved in removing the SAM unit late the other night, I decided to remake the 3 earth points I could see, one has 5 or 6 earth wires on it. Loosening the nut and giving the terminals a spin and a little contact cleaner to aid cleaning. On trying the window the following day, I was surprised and relieved to see it working! A nice simple fix for a change.
I've done the same with any body earth connection I've seen now, can only be a good thing.
Hopefully this will be of some use to anyone with a similar problem.
Eggsy.

OP
E

Eggsy01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls
I got ahead of myself!
Window worked, but intermittent. Replacing the fuse box cover caused it to work, close the boot, and nothing!
Removing Sam unit revealed a loose, burning out connection at plug 20, single red cable. Continuity between pin and fuse 10 confirms it, now to try and remake it good.
Fingers crossed please.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Good luck in trying to fix that, these things are possible even if it means bringing a new wire out from the SAM and doing another join.

OP
E

Eggsy01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls
So far so good.
Tested window yesterday and used today a few times, all good.
I'd like to solder a new wire to pin then join to that, but access to pin isn't that great so we'll see.
Cheers.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom