CLS new rear springs & we're 'Riding High'

AlastairD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 S211 E270 CDi Elegance 100k+
A couple of thousand miles ago the yee hah cowboys at ESP cars in Long Eaton fitted a pair of springs to the rear of our 219, well I say pair, one first then the other at the next visit.

I thought it would have settled by now but I can still comfortably fit my fist between the tyre and the arch.

I'd really appreciate some one with some experience of new rear springs telling me a) if they could have cocked it up or b) how long they should take to settle.

I'm just about to settle for some compo from this lot because of the totally shoddy and potentially fatal service we received from this lot and would like to know if I've got some more sh!t to through at them.

Last edited:

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
A couple of thousand miles ago the yee hah cowboys at ESP cars in Long Eaton fitted a pair of springs to the rear of our 219, well I say pair, one first then the other at the next visit.

I thought it would have settled by now but I can still comfortably fit my fist between the tyre and the arch.

I'd really appreciate some one with some experience of new rear springs telling me a) if they could have cocked it up or b) how long they should take to settle.

I'm just about to settle for some compo from this lot because of the totally shoddy and potentially fatal service we received from this lot and would like to know if I've got some more sh!t to through at them.

:shock:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Suspension should settle within a few miles. Did they fit OEM springs? Very common for 3rd party springs to be the wrong spec. MB have a complex points system for specifying springs, based on the options fitted to the car.

OP
AlastairD

AlastairD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I doubt they fitted oem, they didn't even fix the things they found on their pdi.

Looks like I've got more of their mess to sort out. I wonder how I could be sure the wrong ones are fitted?!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The ride height will be wrong.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
genuine springs also have a colour code on them, which wont be present on 3rd party springs

OP
AlastairD

AlastairD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm not imagining things am I!

Attachments

• Arch2.jpg
    Arch2.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 56
  • arch rear.jpg
    arch rear.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 61

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
That's so wrong.......

211 and 219 springs have a colour code and the part number on the spring itself..........

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Looks like a 70s "jacked" street/strip car!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
would be nice to have something more definitive for the cowboys!

True, sorry. As others have said OEM will have coloured bands on the springs, plus a number.

Mind you that won't help if they have fitted the wrong OEM parts . you could ask your dealer's parts dept for the correct part number and colour code?

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
would be nice to have something more definitive for the cowboys!

I'd have thought that there would be a dimension from the road or wheel centre to the wheel arch. One for those with MB tech info to find out :wink::wink:

OP
AlastairD

AlastairD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd have thought that there would be a dimension from the road or wheel centre to the wheel arch. One for those with MB tech info to find out :wink::wink:

Just surfing the WIS to see what I can find.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
When the dealer checked the ride height on my CLS they used points on the chassis under the car whilst high on the lift.

OP
AlastairD

AlastairD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When the dealer checked the ride height on my CLS they used points on the chassis under the car whilst high on the lift.

Did a quick height check this morning, 705mm from the floor to the top of the arch.
I'll pop up to the dealer at lunchtime and measure some others, I can't see that it's going to be that much higher, maybe 25-50mm.

It doesn't seem to affect the ride and it's not dangerous, is it?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Not dangerous in normal driving but may be more unstable in emergency situations. It's not something I would panic about but I wouldn't want to leave it like that.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom