CLS Steering vibration

hamario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 Mercedes SL320 V6 R129
Any more news hamario?

Latest news is the garage think it is the nearside front caliper. They say that when it gets warm, it is causing problems (I forget exactly what he said). As a result, I am feeling the vibrating.

I've got to speak to him again tomorrow to confirm this will solve my issues.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Latest news is the garage think it is the nearside front caliper. They say that when it gets warm, it is causing problems (I forget exactly what he said). As a result, I am feeling the vibrating.

I've got to speak to him again tomorrow to confirm this will solve my issues.

That does not sound right to me at all,,a caliper causing vibration = never

hamario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 Mercedes SL320 V6 R129
That does not sound right to me at all,,a caliper causing vibration = never

Me neither to be honest, but he assures me this is the case. He's pricing it up for me and will let me know before I agree to it. I'll say to him that if this does not solve the problem then I expect not to have to pay for it.....

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
in my view, if its getting warm and causing vibrations, the caliper is seized and has warped the brake disc

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
in my view, if its getting warm and causing vibrations, the caliper is seized and has warped the brake disc

I still do not think so

CL500Wizard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500, 2 x Honda Prelude 2.2VTEC, Honda VFR400 (Bike) ... that's about enough, need to skim
seized caliper are 'fun' to brake with! have had experienced a few seized calipers but never with vibrations. and they are very easy to check as well.

if its not suspension components, and dics/pads have been changed too, it would have to be the wheels/tyres. you really should test another set of wheels to eliminate this before having more things replaced. even a light damaged wheel would send vibrations through the car at most speeds.

Cez

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2005/320
Hi guys,
Do you get to the bottom of this?
I am facing the same issue, though I have changed recently all the front end mechanics, arms..bushes...all except suspension changed front tires, had the alignment done and still have a vibration at high speed.
Cez.

MykhailoM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz CLS W219 Grand Edition
I think Suspension must be checked thoroughly for play. Jack up the car and push wheels 9 and 15:00 O'clock. Check Inner & Outer tie rod ends, they develop play over many miles. Could be a worn-out Flex Disk holding prop-shaft (propeller shaft), usually the rear one, but check BOTH front and back, two of them. Wheel balancing would be the 1st thought - but if it's SURELY OK, then the rest of drive train follows. I think we need to ask mechanics to check wheel balancing like at least 2 or 3 times before accepting as all OK from them.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I have the same car with original staggered wheels - no vibration.The wheels are pretty good, not perfect but pretty good. (One wheel on one of the sets of originals wheels on the S70R has a very noticeable buckle, bit tricky to balance spot on but the car drives smooth).

As a above, don’t just look at wheels tyres, these cars destroy suspension parts and the cls has lots of joints and arms compared to what I’m used to, so it could easily be wear setting in amongst this area. Another item usually left until outright failure is suspension too mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom