CLS Washer Jets blocked

CLS-joy

Reaction score
Website
themanagersbigband.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLS 2007 320 CDI
Hi Guys, I own a CLS - ok it's a 57 plate but not new BUT only done 30,000 miles and absolutely mint so can't believe my washer jet nozzles are blocked and Mercedes want £350 + VAT to exchange them for new ones..

I have a mechanic who took them out and soaked them in bleach for a while and they worked a little bit but not really up to scratch..

Anybody else had this problem and managed to fix it?

I believe the jets are £70 EACH to buy but I'm reluctant to pay that much + fitting unless I have to just because these jets are blocked with some gunge or other.. Something should shift it shouldn't it?

(Can't believe after 40 years motoring I buy this fabulous car and get such a stupid problem I have never come across before and one I wouldn't have had with a 20 year old Ford!) - GRRRR!

Any help appreciated chaps!
Russ

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
On my previous cars, the washer pump sucked from the tank via filter/strainer, and this blocked due to lack of decent screen wash in the tank, obvioulsy resulting in lack of water to the screen - I'd guess Merc use a similar set up, though I've not had the need to look. I've used an airline to blow back any gunge that might be in the lines backinto the tank, a garden hose shoved into the tank should clear the tank without going to the hassle of removing it.

PS I'm just the other end of the M66 ;)

Last edited:
OP
C

CLS-joy

Reaction score
Website
themanagersbigband.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the info.. I was with the mechanic when he re-fitted the jets after soaking them. Prior to the re-fitting we tested the flow up the pipes and that was fine (but obviously wouldn't reach the screen without the nozzles.. so the problem is with the nozzles (which cost £70 each because they have heating elements in them.. :( )

nice to meet someone else from Gods Country! :cool:

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Thanks for the info.. I was with the mechanic when he re-fitted the jets after soaking them. Prior to the re-fitting we tested the flow up the pipes and that was fine (but obviously wouldn't reach the screen without the nozzles.. so the problem is with the nozzles (which cost £70 each because they have heating elements in them.. :( )
It was definitely the jets? Could it not be due to lack of flow ie blocked suction? :confused:

... nice to meet someone else from Gods Country! :cool:
It's good here isn't it ;)

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
took them out and soaked them in bleach

I've used Viakal in the past to improve the flow of washer jets (and shower heads, obv) which were partially blocked with limescale from the hard tap water being used in the washer bottle.

Bleach would just kill bacteria and make the limescale whiter.

I'm lucky enough to have a supply of free DI water :cool:

OP
C

CLS-joy

Reaction score
Website
themanagersbigband.co.uk
Your Mercedes
It was definitely the jets? Could it not be due to lack of flow ie blocked suction? :confused:

It's good here isn't it ;)

Yes the flow from the pipes was strong - then attached to the jets one is virtually blocked and one 1/2 clear - it's defo the jets/nozzles..

Cheers!

OP
C

CLS-joy

Reaction score
Website
themanagersbigband.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I've used Viakal in the past to improve the flow of washer jets (and shower heads, obv) which were partially blocked with limescale from the hard tap water being used in the washer bottle.

Bleach would just kill bacteria and make the limescale whiter.

I'm lucky enough to have a supply of free DI water :cool:

I'll certainly try that, thanks for the tip :) (I suppose ANY limescale remover would probably do the job?)

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
I'll certainly try that, thanks for the tip :) (I suppose ANY limescale remover would probably do the job?)

If it is limescale that's causing the blockage then yes. Won't hurt to try.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
I'd try soaking them in a hot pan of water with Calgon.
Then use bottled water in the reservoir.

OP
C

CLS-joy

Reaction score
Website
themanagersbigband.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I'd try soaking them in a hot pan of water with Calgon.
Then use bottled water in the reservoir.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked on http://www.calgon.co.uk/ and apparently "it is not a descaler, it is purely a preventative"

so probably best to maybe try the hot pan idea but with a descaler I think...

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Just another thought to add to the mix.
Would a sonic cleaner be likely to work?

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
I think both vinegar and lemon juice can be used as a de-scaler, worth a try as every household normally has Vinegar in the cupboard, I think even Coke-a-Cola can be used as a descaler.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Just poke a long pin into the holes, works everytime for me.

ScottDann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220 CDI AMG Sport coupe 2015
Just make sure to remove the pin before you blast the air hose... These things can escalate very quickly!

Down south we have ridiculously hard water. We get through a lot of Brita filters!

Once you've been able to get the spray nozzles descaled, I would suggest using the DI water or the premixed screenwash from places like halfords. All of the crap would have been removed that can block the nozzles :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
An ultrasonic clean would work if the compressed air or pin method failed.

If you dont have access to a U/S cleaner then i can clean them for you FOC but you would need to post them to me.

Kenny

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom