CLS window squeak

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The good tools for removing door cards are sold in halfords and motor shops, they are a flat blade with a V that pulls the plastic door fasteners out of the door and do not tear the card, these plastic studs are only along the bottom

AlastairD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 S211 E270 CDi Elegance 100k+
With regards to tools, make sure you have a long extension bar, one of the bolts for holding the reg in pace is deep inside the door.

Another tip is to tape the socket (10mm I think) onto the end of the bar to stop it dropping off inside the door.

Attachments

• CLS Door.jpg
    CLS Door.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 13

parthiban

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice - if I get some time over the weekend I might take the door card off and have a nose around to make sure this is something I can do!

The Smudger

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 CLS320, 2009 E320 T, 2003 CLK320 CONV, 1987 260E
I have followed this thread with interest as I also have a 2006 CLS which developed a 'Shriek' when the passengers side front window was operated. It only seemed to happen on the way down for the first few inches, and seemed much worse when it was hot. I read somewhere that this was usually the beginning of the end for the regulator and that the only cure was to renew it. This seemed a bit drastic to me as the window operation was perfect apart from the noise, no cable graunching, no tight spots, just this ear piercing screeching noise.

With the panel removed and on inspection i could almost 'feel' the noise by putting my hand on the down rails, it felt like a really harsh vibration which manifested itself in a noise. WD40 did seem to reduce the noise, but it came back within a day. A bit of thinking and i found that the noise was actually generated by the small blue and green plastic guide runners (pictured below). I remembered that the noise started after a really hot spell, and on closer inspection the plastic runners had gone very hard, probably due to the excessive heat, and also seemed to have swollen, which made them too tight on the metal guide plates, thereby causing them to 'judder' when operated rather than run smoothly as was intended.

I also read that some people seemed to have got away with greasing the runners, but this always seemed to be a temporary fix. So, what was needed was a grease that could withstand high temperature, but would not soften too much and literally drip away. I decided that Copaslip grease was worth a try as it has those qualities. I smeared a little bit on the runners and blue and green guides, and worked the window up and down. The result was instant. The noise went immediately, and the window runners when the window was operated felt very smooth. I felt very confident that this would/will fix the issue. A few days on, and it has been very hot, the window is still very silent and smooth, a good fix i think!

A new regulator would definitely cure the issue as the regulator would of course come with new blue plastic guides, but my 'fix' is a lot lot cheaper and easier, and more satisfying!

Here is a photo of the 'offending' runner, there are 2 of these and both can be lubricated with the door panel off and the water shredder/membrane carefully peeled back. NOT MUCH Copaslip is needed, I just applied a 5p coins size blob on the runner/blue and green plastic parts and when the window is worked up and down it carries the lubricant with it.

I am happy to answer any questions on this subject!

IDixnTt.jpg

Best regards,

Steve.

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom