Clutch replacement 59 plate E250

nick.lynn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 2009
Hi folks, i bought an E250 from my local Mercedes dealer less than 5 months ago. It's already been back to them for a wheel bearing and housing and now my clutch is slipping. I've dropped it off for them to look at tomorrow but i'm not particularly hopeful.
I got a 12 month approved used warranty with the car but as I'm sure you're aware the clutch isn't covered.
I've had a talk with the service manager to express my dissatisfaction and explain that i have no intention of paying for the replacement, he said we'll talk once they've diagnosed the problem.
Anyhow, i'm here because I'm just wondering how much a clutch replacement would usually cost either from a dealer or regular garage. I can't find anything online apart from an RAC article saying a full clutch replacement would cost £295 which i just can't believe. i can't even find an online retailer who sells the parts?!

Thanks

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
If they replace the dual-mass flywheel as well as the other components of the clutch, at MB labour rates it could be north of £1000 and even approaching £2000.

However, MB clutches don't seem to be prone to problems unless at high mileages and given that you've had a wheel bearing let go, I wonder if the car has a high mileage or if there is something in its history that you don't know about. For example, has it got a tow bar fitted or is there any evidence that it has had a tow bar? I say that because some pointers towards previous abuse by towing might help your case that the problems pre-existed before your purchase. If the problem can be put down to mechanical failure, you might also have a chance of getting a warranty claim.

Please let us know how it goes when they check it out for you.

Ernie

OP
N

nick.lynn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 2009
The car has just ticked over 70k which is nothing, i can't see anything to indicate a tow bar has been fitted but thats something i might mention to the dealer.
Thanks for your useful reply Mark. I'm a taxi driver who would like to work through our 3-4 months of winter if you really wanted to know! They wouldn't make them if people didn't buy them.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The car has just ticked over 70k which is nothing, i can't see anything to indicate a tow bar has been fitted but thats something i might mention to the dealer.
Thanks for your useful reply Mark. I'm a taxi driver who would like to work through our 3-4 months of winter if you really wanted to know! They wouldn't make them if people didn't buy them.

Nick, Just a quick thought...if you can't see any external signs of your car having had a towbar, have a look at the wiring behind the rear lamps to see if there has been any connectors added to the wiring loom and subsequently disconnected.

Unfortunately, many warranties specifically exclude hire and reward, so hopefully your supplying dealer was aware that the car would be used for that, because if they were, the question of 'suitability for purpose' comes up.

All the best in getting your problems sorted.

Ernie

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Who buys a Manual Mercedes these days??

Mark

THought that, in general, these forums were used to help folks when that was requested. This remark doesn't sit well with your company logo / advertisement.

Ernie

Mark@RMK

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk
Your Mercedes
115CDi Vito
It wasn't mean't to come across negative or in a bad way, maybe I should have phrased it.

" I Didn't even know Mercedes sold the w212 in Manual"

Either way, I don't see what impact that can make on my services offered as I don't do clutch replacements, and it was hardly a comment that would contend for the "rudest or most offending reply" ever posted.

Sorry if it caused offence!

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
+1 Never knew you could buy a 212 manual.

OP
N

nick.lynn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 2009
i'm getting more and more annoyed with them as the hours pass.
They called this morning to say that they've done an initial health check before looking at the clutch and they can't road test it as 3 of the 4 tyres are below the legal limit. they wouldn't do anything further until I've put new tyres on.
Fortunately I've already got my new winter tyres so I've had them put on, asked the garage who fitted them to check the existing ones and believe it or not they are all still legal! I took them back to MB and spoke to the service manager who checked them and agrees they're fine. All he could come up with is i'll speak to the workshop manager about it, so thats another 2 hours wasted that they could have spent assessing the car.
They don't think the plate has work out as there's no smell at all coming from it. It's most noticeable at 40mph in 4th gear, when you put your foot down it seems to slip, the revs jump then settle down once you stop accelerating. Getting infuriated with the lack of urgency. yes they knew it was going to be a taxi before i bought it.
Thanks for the help so far.

OP
N

nick.lynn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 2009
They've put a warranty claim in for flywheel and release bearing. hope it sorts it out.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good! That sounds like a good result, assuming the warranty claim goes through.

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
clutch

I think the workshop has a severe attitude problem and the issue regarding the tyres wants escalating to management level, as this obviously isnt a one off

Im a big believer that if driven correctly a clutch should last the lifetime of a vehicle,give or take and there arent that many faults that can occur, mainly

Friction plate worn out
Oil contamination of friction plate
Clutch not releasing properly due to either sticking splines/hydraulic issues ie cylinders not releasing after pressing pedal

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
They do know its a taxi so, as many garages do, they just don't want the hassle of having to fit a new clutch under warranty, as most probably the warranty company wont foot the bill once they become aware it's a taxi..

poseidon

Reaction score
Hi,

My clutch was slipping at 62k two years ago on my 2007 e220cdi. I am gentle driver.

They replaced clutch, friction plate, bearing and dual mass flywheel for £1670.
Friction plate was half worn but it is best to replace altogether cosidering the amount of work involved to get to the mercedes clutch.

The dual mass flywheel was problem and they immediately knew and ordered one.

Dual mass flywheel as a concept is big big issue. Internet is full horror stories on all car makes. Some garages offer single mass clutch conversion. Seat UK got fed up and now they only put single mass flywheels when replacement is required.
My new dual mass flywheel is also making problems after 10k and I have been to complain. Absolute nightmare dealing with mercedes service and new technologies.

My clutch on Peugeout 405 was £210 in 2002, and it lasted 130k. Good old technology. An injector on peugeot 405 was £39. On mercedes it is £404 each.

regards,

Pose

Colin_P

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 W203 C220Cdi Estate Manual, 475 000km; 2004 W203 C220Cdi Estate Manual, 165 000km
My clutch is still going strong and I'm not far off 500 000km.

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
I know this is tempting fate ...........

My c220cdi manual has done 313k miles, has towed a caravan since it was new, and is still on the original clutch.

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
These RWD mercs seem to be ok with the DMF's and clutches. Seems to be a major problem on FWD diesels. Ironic that it is technically easier to access and remove a RWD clutch compared to one in a fwd car

I had a new dmf in my last fwd car but also changed the clutch and slave cylinder for preventative measure. Clutch clinic coventry are very good, and are always busy and can fit you in. This place i had a decent LUK dmf& clutch fitted but was a lot cheaper than a garage/dealer etc. Local Authority workshop said it would be a 6 hour job and suggested clutch clinic too. Took them approx 2 hours

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom