coil spring replacement

carlos121

Reaction score
my 51 plate c220 has just failed mot on broken front n/s coil spring . i am out of work and was going to attempt the repair myself as i am a resonable amature mechanic , do i need any special tools such as spring compresers and how hard is it .

cheers carl

A

andy@pcd-ltd

You will definetly need a spring compressor do not attempt this with out it.

It is not that difficult to do should take you a couple of hours

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
As per above, make sure the spring compressor is suitable for Mercedes springs though as most are not suitable. There are some photos on here where it has all gone wrong when using "normal" spring compressors.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Yes u definately need a suitable spring clamp for the c class spring for it can be a bitch.. Normal spring clamps will never pull it down far enough to release the top mount..

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
A vice to hold the strut in and this special socket to remove the strut top nut.

Thats the secondary nut jet that holds the top rubber mount in place.. and yes it is essential....not much of a nut more of a small ring collar..

LYNALL

Reaction score
I did the wifes with normal cheapo spring compressors and a pair of pliers for the thin little nut took just under and hour.
Bit of a bitch to get the spring the last bit to fit the nut, then next day i found out we have a proper compressor typical.

Lynall

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom