Coil Springs, who’s a silly boy…

marlowboy

Reaction score
Sl350 r230 failed MOT on 2 Broken front Coil springs…. What a drama! N/S all came undone apart from couldn’t get the Shock out of the arm, left it soaking and went to the O/S. All apart no problem but couldn’t get the Spring compressed enough to fit it, took it to my local Garage, they couldn’t do it either, Spring to close to the Shock and fouled his tool. Finished up at my local indy, fitted the Spring and £50 lighter now back on the car. Drama, couldn’t get the taper to hold the Shock to allow me to tighten the nut, eventually I realised there is a Allen Key provision in the end of the Bolt to hold it……live and learn! Now back to the N/S, I’m to old for all this!

OP
marlowboy

marlowboy

Reaction score
Can you believe this saga is still continuing?
I got a pair of quality Springs, local Indy fitted O/S one for me, easy replace. Took N/S unit to him, fitted Spring, went to put on the car, the three Studs do not line up with the holes. Returned as I assumed he had fitted it wrong, took it off, refitted put back on car, Studs still do line up! Spoke to Merc, they are not handed, the bottom shelf for the Spring is Fixed, the Top rubber cushion it fits in can not go any other way than where it is as it’s a shaped piece. So……Indy says the Spring must be wrong, I doubt it but am I and the Indy missing something here?

Photo shows top Studs in holes and how far out it is.
I’m thinking, could I release some of the pressure on spring and move the spring ”round” the Top rubber by about 3/4” which would allow it all to go together.
Please help! Thankyou!

Attachments

• BF59C2FA-AC93-4BE4-B7D3-DF9D8F146F3A.jpeg
    BF59C2FA-AC93-4BE4-B7D3-DF9D8F146F3A.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 43

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Are you sure the bottom spring seat is fixed? Every R230 SL350 I’ve done front dampers on the lower spring seat rotates. In fact it sits on a circlip that can go in one of three positions on the damper body to fine tune the ride height

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
The three studs are offset and will only fit one way. Hold strut in vice and twist top mount to suit.

DO NOT UNDO SPRING WITHOUT PROPER EQUIPMENT.

OP
marlowboy

marlowboy

Reaction score
The three studs are offset and will only fit one way. Hold strut in vice and twist top mount to suit.

DO NOT UNDO SPRING WITHOUT PROPER EQUIPMENT.
Thank you for the answers folks. I did try my old Spring Compressor Tool originally but it didn’t feel safe, not going round the Spring enough and thought, nah that’s going to slip off.
i looked at the bottom seat and it looks “fixed” I’ll have another look but seems strange as if it had moved I’m sure it would show.
looking forward to Monday…..not!

OP
marlowboy

marlowboy

Reaction score
It’s on! Still unsure why it didn’t just bolt straight on. Fitted the nuts on the three studs, adjustable wrench on the joint and my trusty Scaffold Pole, turned enough to get it through the Arm, it’s now at the Garage for a new ABS Sender, I just couldn’t be bothered! Love old Cars!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom