Cold weather & effect on cars

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
On the subject of short distance driving and journeys , I’m really finding the sense of the Leaf- no strain , no drama, little cost....

How does it handle in the winter weather? You wouldn't want to turnover a new Leaf......:rolleyes:

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
A little tip from this mornings experience.
Some snow, a fair bit of ice. Cleared screens (and wipers of ice). Can't get the tailgate open, that'll just have to wait till things warm a bit.
But the auto fold mirror on the passenger door won't unfold.
If it doesn't screw the motor by trying I'll disable the auto fold feature till spring if / when it unfolds.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Some snow, a fair bit of ice. Cleared screens (and wipers of ice). Can't get the tailgate open, that'll just have to wait till things warm a bit.
If it doesn't screw the motor by trying I'll disable the auto fold feature till spring if / when it unfolds.
Get some gummi pflege or silicone spray on the rubber seals, helps them not to freeze.
I'd also silicone spray the hinge area of the mirrors

Reactions: M80

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I had exactly the same this morning Martin! I'd quite forgotten to disable the auto fold, but I'm going to do that later...
I poured some warm water over mine whilst doing the windows which seemed to free it....
Also putting some Gummi on later

Reactions: M80

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I had exactly the same this morning Martin! I'd quite forgotten to disable the auto fold, but I'm going to do that later...
I poured some warm water over mine whilst doing the windows which seemed to free it....
Also putting some Gummi on later
I can recommend keeping your car(s) in a garage as well if that's helpful...:p

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I can recommend keeping your car(s) in a garage as well if that's helpful...:p
Hmmm...there speaks the one of landed gentry :rolleyes:. My garage only has space for bicycles and new kitchen white goods I bought in the sales last year prior to the refurb in the spring.....then I suspect another part of what remains of the garage is going to be converted to a 'dog decontamination and boot room'...cars in garage is only something I can dream of :oops:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmmm...there speaks the one of landed gentry :rolleyes:. My garage only has space for bicycles and new kitchen white goods I bought in the sales last year prior to the refurb in the spring.....then I suspect another part of what remains of the garage is going to be converted to a 'dog decontamination and boot room'...cars in garage is only something I can dream of :oops:
I made a conscious decision last year to get the cars into the garage. It took some serious time and effort but with the money I've put into them it's worth it.
I just need to work out what to do with all the boxes in the conservatory...:shock:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I made a conscious decision last year ot get the cars into the garage. It took some serious time and effort but with the money I've put into them it's worth it.
I just need to work out what to do with all the boxes in the conservatory...:shock:
When I lived in Falkirk I had a 2.5 car garage (don't ask), even then my (at the time) wife wouldn't put hers away at night...imagine my smugness next morning when scraping was necessary? o_O

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When I lived in Falkirk I had a 2.5 car garage (don't ask), even then my (at the time) wife wouldn't put hers away at night...imagine my smugness next morning when scraping was necessary? o_O
I used to have one that would never reverse in... so when they had to leave in a rush because they were late they'd hit another of my cars on the drive and the gate post... So unfortunately for me I think I win in the muppetness stakes of ex's.. :(
(They also drove into a Discovery whilst picking up their new boyfriend (in my car) and left the scene... they were witnessed so the police contacted me...)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I used to have one that would never reverse in... so when they had to leave in a rush because they were late they'd hit another of my cars on the drive and the gate post... So unfortunately for me I think I win in the muppetness stakes of ex's.. :(
(They also drove into a Discovery whilst picking up their new boyfriend (in my car) and left the scene... they were witnessed so the police contacted me...)
Yup, you win that one fair and square!:shock:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Not my ex anything but it competes.
A female friend borrowed her boyfriends car, she and her friend jumped in.
On reversing to get out of a parking space she hit the car behind. "Let's go before any one sees", and off.

Only when they returned later did she realise it was her own car she had reversed into.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
the auto fold mirror on the passenger door won't unfold.
The folding mirrors together with the dropping windows on frameless doors and reversing camera flap is something that bothers me about freezing conditions....I wonder if damage will occur to the mechanisms?
Last week my reversing camera flap was frozen shut and my windows hardly moved (if at all) when opening and closing the door.
I tell myself that these things have been tested to destruction by the manufacturer in all possible temperatures, so they should be absolutely fine. :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The folding mirrors together with the dropping windows on frameless doors and reversing camera flap is something that bothers me about freezing conditions....I wonder if damage will occur to the mechanisms?
Last week my reversing camera flap was frozen shut and my windows hardly moved (if at all) when opening and closing the door.
I tell myself that these things have been tested to destruction by the manufacturer in all possible temperatures, so they should be absolutely fine. :)
"Frozen shut flaps" is a theme of the posts above too....:geek::confused:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I rarely use my folding mirrors. More movement = more breaks in the wires, especially as the casing also has a camera, indicator and heater in it!
I always turn off Stop/Start too although I'm fairly sure there's some sort of trickery going on with it. When restarting there seems to be no starter turning and it starts INSTANTLY so I presume there is some sort of clever stuff going on.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
<iframe width="1097" height="617" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom