Comand and parking sensors faulty on W211

amt29

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E320 Estate
I have a 2003 W211 E320 estate that has started playing up.
It has been rather wet in the south west recently (hasn't everywhere!), so I am wondering if strange electrical behaviour is related to some unseen water ingress.

The day before yesterday I went to open the central locking and the RF wouldn't pick up the key fob. Tried two sets of keys. Holding fob over the sensor on drivers door and it unlocked and locked OK. Got in and the Comand system won't come on (see MB splash screen for 30 secs, then it goes off). Also, the parking sensors are dead, no lights at all. The Comand DVD player in the boot also won't open.

It stops raining for a couple of days, today the RF for the central locking starts working again and has been fine since, but Comand and parking sensors still faulty.

I have checked all fuses in three fuse boxes (engine, dash and boot) and all check out OK. There is a 12V signal present at the back of the DVD. I haven't found any signs water ingress as yet.
Thinking of getting a STAR diagnostic done when I've found somewhere to get it done in Bristol. Any thoughts welcome!

Last edited:

nokia

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI Avantgarde
I have had the same with the comand on mine. I disconnected the main battery and backup battery for a few hours, hooked it back up and its been fine since. Give that a try.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is a hard one and it does sound like water problems, do what nokia said and see, there is no real connection between these things.

A lot of cars are suffering from the constant rain.

OP
A

amt29

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E320 Estate
I have reconnected both batteries after they were disconnected for 4 hours this morning. Sadly the only difference is I now have a 'HDLMP CORNERING' malfunction showing on the dash display.

As Malcolm said, I suspect I am looking at two separate causes to the Comand failure and the parking sensor failure.

So -
Parking sensors dead - is there a control device I should check? Or a separate voltage regulator perhaps?

Comand - don't know where to start checking! Get a diagnostic report perhaps?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Get the car on STAR and see what error codes come up

OP
A

amt29

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E320 Estate
Booked into Parkway Automobile Engineering in Fishponds for next Monday. £45+VAT for a STAR diagnostic.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think that this is going to be the only way forward, I could run it through on STAR for you for free, but its not that close to you:(

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
On my 211, Parktronic and COMAND share the same fuse. Can't remember which one, but it's in the dash-side box.

A possible clue? Or red herring...

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is a comand fuse f28 but as Corned has said f3 rated 7.5 amps does drive both, this is in the rear box:D:D

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
I have reconnected both batteries after they were disconnected for 4 hours this morning. Sadly the only difference is I now have a 'HDLMP CORNERING' malfunction showing on the dash display.

As Malcolm said, I suspect I am looking at two separate causes to the Comand failure and the parking sensor failure.

So -
Parking sensors dead - is there a control device I should check? Or a separate voltage regulator perhaps?

Comand - don't know where to start checking! Get a diagnostic report perhaps?

With comand you can try by optically bypassing the navigation drive in the boot and see the head unit powers up with radio etc.

The navigation drives getting wet and/or failing is quite common on the W211/W219.

OP
A

amt29

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E320 Estate
Thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions.

I found that reseating F003 in the boot fuse box kicked the parktronic and Comand back into life, phew!

Put some contact cleaner in and fingers crossed seems ok now.
I have no idea why the locking RF went, so will reseat and clean all the fuses,as a precaution.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the feedback and yes some contact cleaner non drying type would not go amiss on your car.

Thanks Corned for the all on the same fuse bit :D

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom