Comand Navigation does not work - insert DX disk/disc read error

newman2000000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 240
Hello,

I am a fairly new member, and very much enjoying the forum.
This is my first attempt at posting a new thread, and hope I am not duplicating an issue already addressed somewhere else (although I have done my best to check, and have not found anything).

My CLK W209 does not allow me to use the comand navigation. It always says "insert DX disc/read error". The disc was quite badly scratched and I tried to repair, but no luck. My friend had the exact same disc for his mercedes (which works fine), and I tried it in mine but again no luck. I suspect that it may be a problem with the lens inside the unit.

When driving along, I sometimes check using the Nav button and on a couple of occasions the navigation would work fine, and sometimes cut out on me when entering an address. However, I have not been able to do this since.

Please could someone help in finding a solution so that I am able to utilise the in-built navigation :D. Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You could try a lens cleaner that uses a fluid to clean the laser pick up lens,,if this fails there are folk on Ebay that fit a new head for around £125

OP
N

newman2000000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 240
Thanks for the reply Malcolm.

Just had a quick search, and there are discs for sale that claim to clean the lens - is this what you are suggesting? Or do I need to clean the lens manually?

N

npuk

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Was the disk a copy or original? Ive heard the copied disks cause the player to fail.

jib

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They cause the laser the burn out faster.

Sorry this is quite untrue, the laser beam is given at a certain preset level, and no disc copy or otherwise can change the output from the pick up head.

The noise from any broken digital source is quite unpleasant and this must not be confused with any damage taking place to the CD/DVD head unit.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
They cause the laser the burn out faster.

do they ? If so then why ?
I think this is an issue that has been debated but never agreed upon.
Copy discs sometimes work but not for long.
Possibly something to do with oem being highly reflective, copy is not ?

N

npuk

Yes copeis have less refelctivity than originals and more errors. The laser works harder retrying unsuccessful reads and therefore the laser is working harder which will shorten its life.

OP
N

newman2000000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 240
Fantastic! I will give the cd cleaner a go first, and see what happens.

By the way, the navigation disk is the original one, and I just think the lens has become dirty over time, as navigation seems to work only on some occasions for a few minutes at a time.

Thanks for the information. Just what I needed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes copeis have less refelctivity than originals and more errors. The laser works harder retrying unsuccessful reads and therefore the laser is working harder which will shorten its life.

You put the disc in and the head rises 3 times.

On the first rise it checks to see if there is a disc in by the reflection, if this is zero or too low then the message comes up "No Disc"
On the second rise if it passed the first check it focuses to allow for differences in disc.
On the third rise it reads the TOC, if it cannot read the TOC then nothing will happen and the disc cannot play, this is lie anything digital or computerized, it has to be told what to do. You may get the message " No Disc" after the third lift. It depends on the way the things has been designed to work and display.

The units have many settings inside, all accessed from a service menu, these include, laser gain,focus and off set among many of the settings. Having the gain set too high will shorten the life of the laser head, too low and it will miss track, The lasers in our units are always set on the lower side, for the tracking is not audible like on some cheaper units where you can hear the laser working.

So we have a fixed beam emitted from the laser, this been cannot be influenced and it is not changed in any way from the type of disc being played, as I said the gain level is preset and fixed, so no disc can alter or shorten the life on the head,it is just impossible and an old wives tale that came from those who do not know what they are talking about.

OP
N

newman2000000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 240
You could try a lens cleaner that uses a fluid to clean the laser pick up lens,,if this fails there are folk on Ebay that fit a new head for around £125

I got the disk, and it has two small brushes, to which I need to apply fluid to only one of them.

I need to press "play", but no such facility on comand. So I inserted and ejected the disk and let it run for a few minutes in between, and it should try to read the disk on it's own? No luck in fixing problem, i'm afraid, and also the cd gets stuck sometimes. Will probably have to get it repaired.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Shame really they can be fixed, at least they can be repaired now, if I had started doing this 10 years ago it would be a good business by now

Top Bottom