Comand NTG 5/5.5

Argus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 Brilliant Blue/Grey, M274
Hi guys.
I am trying to get used to my Comand satnav after having used TomTom for years. The TomTom displays the current speed limit which I find useful and have become accustomed to. Is there a way to add this feature to the Comand navi? And how about speed cameras, can they be added?
Many thanks for any advice

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
check the manual, some later mercs can have the speed limit display. if there it'll be in an obscure menu.

not an expert but there' quite a difference in the 5 and 5.5 unit I believe, so worth knowing which you have, also alongside the later mapping (free inside 3 years warranty period - but you have to book it as an extra request at a service etc.) getting the unit to have the latest firmware will be a good idea (on some earlier comand unit 4.5? it enables BT music streaming) but in general irons out loads of bugs, may add new features and improves stuff

speed cams can be added on some mercs with a bit of magic (if there an SD card slot), not sure if any merc have this as std yet but it is on a ford or a Vauxhall these days... but the warnings tend to be of an insignificant camera icon and the faintest of single beeps

OP
A

Argus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
check the manual, some later mercs can have the speed limit display. if there it'll be in an obscure menu.

not an expert but there' quite a difference in the 5 and 5.5 unit I believe, so worth knowing which you have, also alongside the later mapping (free inside 3 years warranty period - but you have to book it as an extra request at a service etc.) getting the unit to have the latest firmware will be a good idea (on some earlier comand unit 4.5? it enables BT music streaming) but in general irons out loads of bugs, may add new features and improves stuff

speed cams can be added on some mercs with a bit of magic (if there an SD card slot), not sure if any merc have this as std yet but it is on a ford or a Vauxhall these days... but the warnings tend to be of an insignificant camera icon and the faintest of single beeps

Thanks very much for your advice, much appreciated.
The data card I have says Comand 5/5.5 so I don't know which I have. It does support BT streaming audio and its does have an SD slot.
I'll continue to dig around the menus! Thanks again.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
this looks promising :)

https://www.scdb.info/en/plugin-mercedes-comand-online/

There is no support for NTG 5.5 units where the menu for custom POIs is missing, its running later incompatible software *e.g. the new Mercedes E-Class (W213 and W238)

year 2011-2014. you probably have NTG 4.5 or NTG 4.7 and can use the speed camera database.
Enter the hidden menu by pressing and holding down the keys RED PHONE BUTTON and # and 1. Open the menu "Engineering Mode > 3. HU information > 3.1 Navi core information > FL Ver." to indicate the NTG version.

year 2015 or 2016. You have a NTG 5.x model. But we can't find out which model it is. Please ask your Mercedes dealer. He is able to detect by VIN the device identification (NTG 5.0, NTG 5.1, NTG 5.2 or NTG 5.5).

Last edited:
OP
A

Argus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks ever so much for this extra information Botus. I'll ask the dealer.
I'm very impressed with the car it's just small picky things like this that would make it fantastic.
I much appreciate your advice, cheers!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom