COMAND phone problem nokia 6310i

simonrip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E300 Hybrid
Hello,

I apologise if this is an obvious or common problem, but I had a look in the FAQs and couldn't see any relevant solutions.

I have a 2003 C32 with COMAND. There is an existing MB phone cradle, which fits a Nokia 6310i. I bought this phone last week (to use with a duplicate Orange SIM) and it fitted, charged and was recognised by the COMAND system when I tested it with my current SIM. I then swapped SIM cards (to a temporary PAYG SIM) and I got the message "phone not plugged in" on the COMAND display. The phone charges, but no longer displays the little car symbol which I presume means that it really is not connected correctly. I have checked the electrical contacts on the phone, and they seem OK. I swapped back to my other SIM, but the problem persists.

In case it is relevant, there is also a Nokia Bluetooth kit installed, which I have played with. It is possible that I have changed some setting inadvertently, but could this impact on the installed COMAND system?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received, as I doubt MB will be able to solve this one for me quickly & easily.

Thanks,
Simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,I just hope the the phone module has not gone wrong,,they can do that and give the message "No phone plugged in" I do know that the software on the phone has to be version 5.5 or later

OP
S

simonrip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E300 Hybrid
Thanks for the quick response.

The fact that it worked OK for a short time leads me to hope that it is some sort of physical connection problem, rather than a big electrical headache. Perhaps a local installer would be able to troubleshoot it for me, if it is not a common problem.

I was hoping for a reply along the lines of 'you have forgotten to change setting x on your phone' and an instant fix! I should be so lucky.

Simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wait for some more answers Simon,,,I think that the 6310i does have a menu where you can turn off the cradle facility I will take a read of the hanbook

eGuru

Reaction score
Website
www.artguru.co.uk
Your Mercedes
C180 S204, S320 CDi
I would try another 6310i. I have had problems in the past with dirty connectors. Have always kept a couple of phones spare!

OP
S

simonrip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E300 Hybrid
Thanks, I will give another phone a try. My software version number is 4.8 something, so it looks like that is no good anyway. Let's hope Ebay has a few newer 6310s knocking about.

I will post again if this fixes the problem.

Simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Back street phone shops charge £10 to update the phone,,if it was on orange,,this may need to be unlocked

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016, LWB W222 AMG Line S-Class S350d - W415 Citan Van too :)
I have the 6310 kit in my S Class but use the Viseeo unit. I did notice once that the display said "No phone plugged in" and it turned out to be the fact that the cradle was slightly unclipped.(not the phone within the cradle, but the cradle top part to the bottom part (two part cradle))

If you push the cradle downwards it depresses and then rises up to allow easier removal of the handset (I think) and when I pushed it back down, it hadn't clipped properly and wasn't making a good contact.

Baz

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have the 6310 kit in my S Class but use the Viseeo unit. I did notice once that the display said "No phone plugged in" and it turned out to be the fact that the cradle was slightly unclipped.(not the phone within the cradle, but the cradle top part to the bottom part (two part cradle))

If you push the cradle downwards it depresses and then rises up to allow easier removal of the handset (I think) and when I pushed it back down, it hadn't clipped properly and wasn't making a good contact.

Baz

Mine too will have the odd moment and not recognize the phone,,,they can also cause all of the sound to mute,,just taking the phone out and putting it back clears it

OP
S

simonrip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E300 Hybrid
Update

Thanks very much for all the helpful suggestions.

I have now plugged in a replacement Nokia 6310i and it works perfectly! I can't be sure whether it is the newer firmware which has fixed the problem, or if the contacts on the old phone were dodgy.

Just in case anyone is not aware, Orange offer a duplicate SIM for business customers (called Single Number) which means that you can turn off your mobile in the car and calls will route directly through to the car kit, which shares the same number. Very handy.

Simon

erding

New Registration
Reaction score
viseeo

have you solved your problem? I have the same with a viseeo1000 in a E Class (E-270-CDI) W211

regards,
erding
Thanks very much for all the helpful suggestions.

I have now plugged in a replacement Nokia 6310i and it works perfectly! I can't be sure whether it is the newer firmware which has fixed the problem, or if the contacts on the old phone were dodgy.

Just in case anyone is not aware, Orange offer a duplicate SIM for business customers (called Single Number) which means that you can turn off your mobile in the car and calls will route directly through to the car kit, which shares the same number. Very handy.

Simon

OP
S

simonrip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E300 Hybrid
Yes, the problem is now solved. I suggest updating the software of the phone first, as you can apparently get that done very cheaply. If that doesn't work, then it could be the phone contacts, so it may be worth buying another cheap phone from Ebay (make sure the software version is OK - see earlier answers to my original question).

Dazzler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Estate 05
Mine is doing the same.
First it said not plugged in.
Now it says phone initialising but nothing more happens:confused:

Im starting to think this COMAND thing is more troublr than its worth, as the only thing that does work properly is the FM radio itself:mad:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine is doing the same.

Im starting to think this COMAND thing is more troublr than its worth, as the only thing that does work properly is the FM radio itself:mad:

It must be soft ware 5.5 or it will not work

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its version 5.51;)

But still does not work:(

Any more ideas?

All I know more is that the early cradles work fine on the 6150 and 6210,,but not on the 6310i and another cradle was brought out,,this was all around 2003

eGuru

Reaction score
Website
www.artguru.co.uk
Your Mercedes
C180 S204, S320 CDi
Mine is doing the same.

What year and model is your car? Also was the phone working before?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh bugger:(

The cradles are on Ebay for £30 My car is a 2002 and probably had the cradle replaced.

Hold on a few Days,,I have a 6210 that need turning back on,,if it will work you can borrow it to try

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom