Comand retro fit w211 - any definitive guide on compatibility?

pcman_jh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 Cabriolet
I'd like to get a Comand module for my 2004 E220 CDI estate, but am bewildered by the truly conflicting articles that are out there on this subject.

Some articles say it can't be done without extensive rewiring (unless money was no object) whereas others (typically from sellers, of course) say its plug and play with their "special wiring" adaptors. Of course, there's also Acronymns galore - NTG, 2.5, APS, BUS, head units, post 2003, pre 2003...

Is there a website, or person, out there who can give a definitive for my model/year? The closest I've come to finding something, are the 2.5 HDD models, but any photo of the back of one does not have the same connectors as my Audio 20, unless that's what the "special wiring adaptors" are for.

I have a 2004 registered E220 CDI estate (W211) with the Audio 20 systems already fitted. The Audio 20 unit (and steering wheel) has all the phone buttons on it, but I don't beleive there's the "other phone bits" which mean it's NOT really "phone ready" -something to do with wiring on the top of the arm rest, which isn't there.

I took out my Audio 20 to see what's at the back end of it (comes out easily) - It's a Model No MF2311, Part No: A211 820 98 89 and has one large (multi) connector, and what looks like a fibre optic cable (aerial lead?, the cable is quite thin which makes me think not).

Also, what do folks think of the Lithuanian units that are abundant on eBay - anyone had any dealings? (Putting aside how they come upon so many to be able to list them...)

stickandrudder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lots
I bought one from the Lithuanian guy.
When I eventually got the unit it was fine BUT it took two months and A LOT of aggro to get it.
His after sales service is poor and so I wouldn't use him again for that reason alone.

OP
P

pcman_jh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 Cabriolet
What experience can you share about fitting/compatibility - ie what car did you have and how easy was the comand to get working?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have the retro fit instructions that I can send

ffej1405

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 S211 E280CDI / 2009 W209 CLK Cabriolet
Hi Malcolm,

I'm picking up a 2006 S211 with Audio-20 this afternoon.

I'm looking at retro fitting a new COMAND (NTG 2.5) unit - could you send me the retro fit instruction you have?

Many thanks,

Jeff

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The people to talk to are http://www.comandonline.co.uk.
My understanding is as follows.
Original Command units do not have an inbuilt amplifier but route the audio through an audio gateway which is located in the boot.
Early Audio 20s had cassette players and also no inbuilt amp and also used the audio gateway. Swapping these for commands were failry simple.

Later Audio 20s (04 -> ish) had CD players. These also has an inbuilt amplifier and no audio gateway. This is where the compatability became an issue as you needed to add the AGW which was a bit of a mare and expensive.

Now,
As I understand it ... the new HD command units DO have an amp in them and so are much easier to swap an audio 20 for (though presumably replacing the old command would be more complicated). I doubt the wiring is the same but there will no doubt be a conversion kit available. Also I seem to remember Malcolm saying something about the motorised door below (housing the cd changer) no longer opening with the new command units - so take your cds out first.

Anyway - speak to the folk at command online - they're the experts.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm,

I'm picking up a 2006 S211 with Audio-20 this afternoon.

I'm looking at retro fitting a new COMAND (NTG 2.5) unit - could you send me the retro fit instruction you have?

Many thanks,

Jeff

I have sent both the retro fit and the change from the Audio 20 to Comand

djm123

Reaction score
sorry to bump up a reaaallyyy old thread, but television, could you send me the retro fit guide? - i cant email you!

Thanks!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I need an Email address please you have 4 hours in which to edit it out

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
The people to talk to are http://www.comandonline.co.uk.
My understanding is as follows.
Original Command units do not have an inbuilt amplifier but route the audio through an audio gateway which is located in the boot.
Early Audio 20s had cassette players and also no inbuilt amp and also used the audio gateway. Swapping these for commands were failry simple.

Later Audio 20s (04 -> ish) had CD players. These also has an inbuilt amplifier and no audio gateway. This is where the compatability became an issue as you needed to add the AGW which was a bit of a mare and expensive.

Now,
As I understand it ... the new HD command units DO have an amp in them and so are much easier to swap an audio 20 for (though presumably replacing the old command would be more complicated). I doubt the wiring is the same but there will no doubt be a conversion kit available. Also I seem to remember Malcolm saying something about the motorised door below (housing the cd changer) no longer opening with the new command units - so take your cds out first.

Anyway - speak to the folk at command online - they're the experts.

Your summary is absolutely correct.

The motorised door which may or may not have a CD changer behind will no longer open once NTG 2.5 is installed.

Under no circumstances be tempted to simply plug an NTG 2.5 into an existing audio20 connection in the W211/S211. You will blow fuses and possibly damage components. Get a proper (decent make) converter loom kit. It will save you a load of time and trouble.

We did another of these yesterday. The whole job is physically quite easy. the coding though is another issue altogether;)

nguyennhatquang

Reaction score
@television : would you please send me the guild how to retrofit the comand in both kind of car.. with cassett and the other..
thank you in advance.

nguyennhatquang

Reaction score
i can't send the PM because of mine lowest post
so, anyone can send me the COMand guild..

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom