COMAND - Small Problem

exjag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 avantgarde 2010 3.0
Collected my new car yesterday - E350 2011MY with 2012 upgrade to COMAND (or Navi ?).

Having some trouble getting my head around it - I'm 66 years old, but computer savvy and expect familiarisation to take some time, even with the handbooks, all of which I have read cover to cover, but so much to take in.

My first question is, is it possible to have the navigation on, with the radio switched off? I cannot discover how to work the radio independently in this respect. If I turn off using the COMAND knob, it turns everything else off of course. Is there a separate control, or is there a workaround? :confused:

I am sure someone will have the answer :)

Thanks for any help.:Oops:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The only way I know of is to mute the audio. This will not silence the navigation instructions, as long as you don't press Mute just as she is talking!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes its quite easy to use and age does not help in all these things.

When the radio is on just turn the volume right down to the lowest, now when the lady is actually speaking and giving directions, turn the volume up while she is speaking, and you will hear her just fine.

So with the volume right down you cannot hear the radio, but when she speaks to give the directions you can hear her.

You could select any thing else like TV, AUX or phone even if you have not got one, the select navigation.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Why not leave it off and just use the sat nav on the speedo display? If your model supports that ... No nagging women to tell you to turn around when possible ...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only way I know of is to mute the audio. This will not silence the navigation instructions, as long as you don't press Mute just as she is talking!

The trouble with that is they can un mute and come back on as most of us know

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The trouble with that is they can un mute and come back on as most of us know

Must admit to never experiencing that, even after IGN off, the audio remains muted until pressing Mute again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Must admit to never experiencing that, even after IGN off, the audio remains muted until pressing Mute again.

Remember the Top Gear driving the SL55 through Sweden on the E6, Clarkson was fighting with it as it would not stay muted

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Remember the Top Gear driving the SL55 through Sweden on the E6, Clarkson was fighting with it as it would not stay muted

But he was doing it wrong.... He was trying to silence the woman when she wasnt actually speaking by using the mute button ...he thought the mute button did that but it doesn't... You have to,press mute AS she is speaking then she stays mute until you restart it ...

The OP wants the Satnav voice but no radio .... I confess its never been a setting I wanted...

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But he was doing it wrong.... He was trying to silence the woman when she wasnt actually speaking by using the mute button ...he thought the mute button did that but it doesn't... You have to,press mute AS she is speaking then she stays mute until you restart it ...

The OP wants the Satnav voice but no radio .... I confess its never been a setting I wanted...

How can you silence the woman when she was not speaking ????

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How can you silence the woman when she was not speaking ????

When the woman speaks ..push mute .... That ensures no more sat nav announcements are made .... Pushing mute any other time simply mutes the radio ..the woman continue to speak.... It is like real life ....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When the woman speaks ..push mute .... That ensures no more sat nav announcements are made .... Pushing mute any other time simply mutes the radio ..the woman continue to speak.... It is like real life ....

I had the car for 6 years, and for me I found it handy to have the radio there if you needed it, by turning the sound down to zero for the radio the traffic announcements still come through and you can increase the volume when she speaks to make it louder.

And please note it is not wrong to do it the way that you wish, one does have the 2 choices :D:D

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom