COMAND Upgrade

rholmesa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 Sport CDi Estate Brabus D6
Hi All,

Very happy with my 2008 EClass Estate 320CDi Sport Brabus.

BUT...

SatNav in COMAND works well, but just is useless with postcodes. Does anyone know whether there has been any upgrade for this - it drives me nuts when I have to ask people for a full postal address when just about any SatNav these days is happy to use only postcodes.

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I do not think that there is anything,,member npuk should be on line later, he knows better than me

N

npuk

The unit in your car only supports 5 digit postcode input. Only way to get 7 digit postcode input is to upgrade the Comand unit as below.

You can upgrade to the latest unit fitted to MY09 W211 the Comand NTG2.5 which supports full 7 digit postcode input. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...313&_nkw=ntg2.5+211&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Fore more info NTG2.5 section: http://mercupgrades.com/W211+E++W219+CLS+and+R171+SLK+Audio+Systems-article-77.html

You will need the NTG1 to NTG2.5 conversion set sold here: http://www.comandonline.co.uk/W211-W219-Comand-Retrofit/ along with the Comand NTG2.5 unit and GPS antenna.

If you have the HK audio system then both HK amps need replacing for the new model HK amps that NTG2.5 needs. The two amps and HK wiring conversion kit are are over £1.5k alone so add considerable expense to the upgrade. All three items are on: http://www.comandonline.co.uk/W211-W219-Comand-Retrofit/

If you do a search on the forum there has been a few past threads on upgrading from NTG1 to NTG2.5 in W211.

Last edited by a moderator:

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
Or simply buy a fifty quid Tom Tom and endure the humiliation of The Sucker of Shame.

Comand is very pretty but the satnav is, generally, crap from a usability point of view although I do love the display of roundabouts and stuff in the instrument cluster.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Post code entry is useful as it's fast however it doesn't work so well where the post code doesn't exist or where there isn't one. I have many many many sat navs with and without 7 digit post code entry, I invariably check where I'm going before I get in my car and usually print (killing the environment I know...) an A4 map of the location, I then put that into my Comand and have yet to miss where I'm going. I've used the Post Code in my VW & Smart and then had to search round and round until I get to the correct location of worse still had to search on my phone for the place as the post code isn't recognised.
With my system if technology fails then you still have a paper copy :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Post code entry is useful as it's fast however it doesn't work so well where the post code doesn't exist or where there isn't one. I have many many many sat navs with and without 7 digit post code entry, I invariably check where I'm going before I get in my car and usually print (killing the environment I know...) an A4 map of the location, I then put that into my Comand and have yet to miss where I'm going. I've used the Post Code in my VW & Smart and then had to search round and round until I get to the correct location of worse still had to search on my phone for the place as the post code isn't recognised.
With my system if technology fails then you still have a paper copy :)

I have driven in many countries all over the world without any sat nav, just how did we manage years ago

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
I have driven in many countries all over the world without any sat nav, just how did we manage years ago

We used maps and understood geography. There's anecdotal evidence[decent citation needed] that the "sat-nav generation" have far less awareness of the geographical layout of their region and country.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
We used maps and understood geography. There's anecdotal evidence[decent citation needed] that the "sat-nav generation" have far less awareness of the geographical layout of their region and country.
I agree with that! I was naviagting with an OS map on the IOM last week which was very nice (I was pax)

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Coupe AMG, E320 CDI (S211), Aprilia RSVR
I'm an ARMY Cadet instructor and can vouch that the youth of today know absolutely nothing about the geographical positioning of countries in the world we live in.

My favourite subject to teach is map and compass... the kids gain real skills from my lessons that undoubtedly assist them in day to day life.

Walenut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Freelander 2
No point in having Comand then? Its a navigation system and as such should it not offer all the facilities of a £100 Tom Tom, how did it end up only having a 5 digit post code facility anyway, is this a German thing? Also, what I can't understand, surly this is just a software issue why can't it be upgraded?

Some of the features of Comand are excellent and not available on the Tom Tom I use at work, the ability to decipher RDS traffic and to plot it on your map is very useful and on what is essentially an old system NTG2. To what I understand this feature has been upgraded through software updates so why not the post code issue?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think that the post code thing was because in the UK we have more post codes than other countries in Europe and the memory was not big enough to hold them all

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Or could it be Germany only uses 5 digit codes?

Walenut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Freelander 2
Does Comand upload all of the information from the DVD and then hold that in its memory?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Does Comand upload all of the information from the DVD and then hold that in its memory?

No, AFAIK it references the disc to build the route. It then loads a block of info to display the map. This is updated periodically as the journey progresses.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Or could it be Germany only uses 5 digit codes?

True,,something like that we did have the correct answer once on here,, Sweden and Norge only have 5 figures too

Walenut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Freelander 2
I'm not an electronics or software expert but it would seem that something as simple as post codes would be updated via the DVD or available from the DVD so I'm struggling to see how this couldn't be done via a software or firmware update?

Or a marketing move perhaps to make us buy new cars with 2.5 in, or is that me just being cynical?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm not an electronics or software expert but it would seem that something as simple as post codes would be updated via the DVD or available from the DVD so I'm struggling to see how this couldn't be done via a software or firmware update?

Or a marketing move perhaps to make us buy new cars with 2.5 in, or is that me just being cynical?

Well when the first started off they only had a 4 figure post code, the newer disc that came out after about 2009 on the early Comand 2 that I have offered a 5 figure code, I do not have a problem with that as I just go to the road and enter the number

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
I did find the short postcode thing a problem but now just get to the town and either go for address or POI. Since most of the places that I need satnav for are golf courses or hotels they normally show up on POI.

I also love the display in the speedo centre which is right where I want it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did find the short postcode thing a problem but now just get to the town and either go for address or POI. Since most of the places that I need satnav for are golf courses or hotels they normally show up on POI.

I also love the display in the speedo centre which is right where I want it.

Yes the in the speedo head as very nice, the other good thing is that it is real time as well as gps

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom