Command Head Unit Issue

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Just recently I have noticed an issue with the display on my Command head unit.

If it is switched on and off frequently, as in when one is doing stop/start work, the information on the screen disappears. Sometimes it will resume function when switched back on again, however, more often, there is no info provided at all. All that is visible on the screen are the straight lines of the display the digits of the track number.

When I start the car in the morning and do my daily commute there seems to be no problem, it only occurs if/when I nip to the shops, restart, go to a different shop elsewhere, restart and then although it plays perfectly, no information about the artist, track, or album name is visible.

So far, I've been lucky, as it has restarted after a suitable break but I'm concerned that I could end up with a permanent problem.

Has anyone else suffered from similar concerns?

wivenhoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 E Class E350e plug in hybrid
Just recently I have noticed an issue with the display on my Command head unit.

If it is switched on and off frequently, as in when one is doing stop/start work, the information on the screen disappears. Sometimes it will resume function when switched back on again, however, more often, there is no info provided at all. All that is visible on the screen are the straight lines of the display the digits of the track number.

When I start the car in the morning and do my daily commute there seems to be no problem, it only occurs if/when I nip to the shops, restart, go to a different shop elsewhere, restart and then although it plays perfectly, no information about the artist, track, or album name is visible.

So far, I've been lucky, as it has restarted after a suitable break but I'm concerned that I could end up with a permanent problem.

Has anyone else suffered from similar concerns?
Does your car have the latest version of Comand - if so it could be downloading / installing updates to the map or software.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does your car have the latest version of Comand - if so it could be downloading / installing updates to the map or software.

I honestly don't know Wivenhoe, how would it download / install updates without being connected to a Star computer or the OBD port or both?

AFAIK my car has not been connected during my tenure as, I do all my own service work. The only change that has taken place is, I disconnected my iPod to take it indoors to add music to it.

Could it be something to do with that?
Maybe not made a good connection at refit and it jiggling around when I'm driving not helping?

wivenhoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 E Class E350e plug in hybrid
Jimbo - if you are doing your own services then you probably don't have the version which downloads updates - I think it came in about 2017. That system has an onboard SIM which updates the software & live traffic. Good luck solving your problem !

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
The only change that has taken place is, I disconnected my iPod to take it indoors to add music to it.

Could it be something to do with that?
Maybe not made a good connection at refit and it jiggling around when I'm driving not helping?
That may be it - just need to understand whether it is the iPod, the connector or the cable

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That may be it - just need to understand whether it is the iPod, the connector or the cable

After a bit of fiddling around it now seems to be behaving itself. My only moan is that I’m still not sure what the problem was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom