Command Online no internet connection on O2 Network in Mercedes C Class

DJGezza

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Sport Premium Plus/2014/C220
Hi,

My car is the new model Mercedes C-Class with Command Online which connects to my phone, an HTC One M8, via Bluetooth and the phone allows internet connection for the car via Bluetooth tethering. With my O2 SIM card installed the car cannot connect to the internet. If I swap the SIM for an EE SIM card, same phone, same car, the connection to the internet works.

To check the Bluetooth tethering of my phone with the O2 SIM card inserted, I connected a second phone via Bluetooth to mine to see if my phone would share its' internet connection with another device other than my car and it does work.

So to summarise:
Car-> Bluetooth Tether -> Phone -> O2 SIM -x No internet connection
Car-> Bluetooth Tether -> Phone -> EE SIM -> Good internet connection
Other device -> Bluetooth Tether -> Phone -> O2 SIM -> Good internet connection.

But, if my phone is connected to my home WiFi router then the car will also connect to the internet via my phones Bluetooth tether:

Car -> Bluetooth Tether -> Phone -> WiFi -> Home router -> BT Broadband -> Good Internet Connection. (Obviously this only works when the car is parked outside my house).

So the Car to phone connection via the Bluetooth Tethering connection works, for some reason the O2 network will not connect Command Online to the Mercedes 'Cloud' server.

I am not the first person to experience this problem, there is a thread on the O2 users forum that discusses this and the guy who posted on there said he took his car back to the dealership. They tried numerous phones and all the ones on the O2 network did not connect Command Online to the internet, all the phones on other networks did connect.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of routing problem via the O2 Network. But does O2 or Mercedes set this up?

Sorry I don't have a solution yet, my main objective was to share this knowledge on here for anyone else who may be experiencing the same problem but not know why. Would be interested to hear any ideas.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/images/smilies/confused.gif

Last edited:
C

ched999uk

This may be a bit techy but her goes. I would say first thing you need to do is find out what web address the car is trying to connect with. You should be able to do this by changing your routers DNS servers to OpenDNS and creating an OpenDNS account (FREE). This would then enable you to see the web address you car is connecting through your phone via wifi by looking at your OpenDNS account. Then you can try and type in the same address on your phone's browser when not on wifi and see what errors you get. Once you have the errors you might be able to talk to O2 and get them to explain why they are stopping you access an address.

Please be aware that if you are not familiar with changing router settings etc then you could change the wrong thing and be left without broadband!!!
If you do try please ensure you know what you are doing as the above is just an idea it may or may not help but could mess up your broadband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom