Command questions before I commit..

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hi everyone,
I am probably too late to get replies tonight but here goes...
I am very seriously interested in having a Command system retro fitted to my car but I would like some questions answered please..

1. Does the Command unit have the ability to play MP3 CD's ?
2. I have had an e-mail from the Command fitter in Woking and he says something about enabling the "Cluster display".. What is a Cluster display?

3. I have the audio 10 unit fitted and I have to say the sound quality when playing CD's is surprisingly good.. Can anyone who has had the Command retro fitted truthfully say the sound quality is better than the Audio 10?
I ask because the e-mail I have had states that the sound quality is "Far superior".. Is this true ? Tell the truth now !

It goes without saying that its quite a chunk of money but I use SatNav a heck of a lot and so I either get a decent TomTom or I bite the bullet and go the Command route..
What would you do out there in Mercedes Land? TomTom or Command.
Please give reasons for your thoughts..

Sorry to be pushy but as I say its a large chunk of money in anyones books.

Thanks in advance

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The guys in Woking know their stuff and are very fair..

I had COMAND retro fit and have to say, brilliant!!

Sound is better than Audio 10, no doubt.

Not sure about mp3 playback, comand.co.uk will give the definative answer

Cluster display means all the phone, navigation info etc.. is mirrored in the centre display by your speedo, rev counter

COMAND is MB OEM and very fitting with the car. Don't demean your car by fitting an aftermarket unit like TT.. MY opinion of course :)

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks again for inspiring me to do "the right thing"..
I have contacted the guys in woking and I hope to have it fitted and coded next week cos I am off that week..
They certainly seem to know their stuff..
I plan on keeping this car for a long time so I want the luxury toys..

whitenemesis, Can I ask if your comand system was a new or "refurbished " unit?

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Further to Peters post above, you cannot use the SAT NAV and MP3 at the same time, as the APS Comand is DVD based I believe for your year, 2003 being a change of year, so you would need the CD changer as well no matter what you install.

Re the compatibility Some manage to play them and some do not, it depends on how they were written, some manage to display the full track list,others do not, this has been covered many times, and it is worth doing a search MP3.

The sound output is the same near enough to the Audio 10, but you can do more with it on the APS Comand as it is of more modern design.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just in case peter has gone to bed, his Comand was new, he only has the best of everything.

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just making a midnight butty so sorry for being away for a while..
Thanks for that info Malcom..
These cars of ours sort of demand you keep up the quality of all that is done to them..
I only live about 50 miles from the lake district.. I took my mother out for a drive around Windermere and Bowness.. She was in 7th heaven.. It was a most beautiful evening for a drive in the country.. God I love this car !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I have a long trip tomorrow in my SL500 as I am going to look at a few cars with another member, we shall probably clock up some 400 miles, and I can feel now that the massage seats will be in operation at some point.

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are a lucky chap.. 400 miles in a merc.. I am jealous..
I recon when you get where you are going you will be itching to do the return journey...

I know I have only been a merc owner for a couple of days but in that short time I know these cars are something special..
I used to have aBMW 330D.. It was a great car BUT...
I feel so much more passionate about the merc..

Its a truly great car.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Further to Peters post above, you cannot use the SAT NAV and MP3 at the same time, as the APS Comand is DVD based I believe for your year, 2003 being a change of year, so you would need the CD changer as well no matter what you install.

Re the compatibility Some manage to play them and some do not, it depends on how they were written, some manage to display the full track list,others do not, this has been covered many times, and it is worth doing a search MP3.

The sound output is the same near enough to the Audio 10, but you can do more with it on the APS Comand as it is of more modern design.

Slight correction Malcolm, One can use the SAT NAV and listen to CD at the same time. Once the route has been calculated, eject the NAV DVD and insert a CD.

Downside is you cannot use dynamic route guidance as the system needs the NAV disc to calculate the new route...

EDIT - Just checked another minus is no map displayed...

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Slight correction Malcolm, One can use the SAT NAV and listen to CD at the same time. Once the route has been calculated, eject the NAV DVD and insert a CD.

Downside is you cannot use dynamic route guidance as the system needs the NAV disc to calculate the new route...

Thank you very much and that will be the difference from the Bosch 2 and 2.5, and very nice to know so thank you again:D, If I take out mine then it all stops

Top Bottom