Command shutting down with other wierd stuff happening

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Hi folks, hope you're all doing well, I have a problem with command shutting down on my 2008 C class.
It starts up ok but after a random time of around 2 minutes to 10 minutes a pop up message says 'command is now shutting down' then the screen closes.
After this happens my rear indicators stop working on both sides, message shows rear indicator fault after I try to use them. They work fine at start up and are factory leds. My fuel gauge starts to randomly read normal, low or show empty, changing occasionally, and my headlights come on even with the selector set to off.

I know there's a fault on these cars where the brown wire on the harness that connects to the rear light cluster and it was showing signs of overheating so I did the wire bypass that our good friend Malcolm (RIP) recommended many years ago.

Unfortunately it still shuts down and does the other weird stuff.
I'll get it booked in to a good garage well known for doing good work on Mercedes but that will have to wait a couple of weeks.

Until then has anyone got any ides what the issue could be?
Thanks.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
How's the battery ?

OP
L John

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good question, it's a good battery as far as I know. It's about 2 years old and always starts with no issues.
Car lives in the garage and is only generally used at weekends. Battery seems strong, it turns over quick and starts straight away.

OP
L John

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm thinking a bad connection somewhere or a something shorting to earth, last thought was a module failing, hopefully not the latter.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I'm thinking the battery is partly discharged and needs putting on charge.
Have you checked the voltage before starting the car? Fully charged should read 12.6v.

download.png

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
I'm assuming shutdown is when you are driving? I'd suggest seeing how long it works without driving anywhere? If it does 30 minutes or so then most likely an earth or power issue. If on the other hand it fails when stationary then think module or similar overheating.?

Sent from my KB2000 using Tapatalk

OP
L John

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the replies, I drove it about 8 hours ago and just checked the battery voltage. It was sitting at 12.7v I started the engine and it went to 14.2v a little higher than I expected but not a problem I think?
I've connected my smart charger to it anyway, it should tell me if there's a problem.
In the morning I'll also check the battery terminals are tight and secure.
Yes it's always when I'm driving Robin, not tried it stationary but I'll try it and see what happens.
The other weird things that go with it, like the headlights coming on make me think a module is getting confused either by a poor harness contact or moisture getting in somewhere.
An electronic component overheating is a possibility Robin, maybe a poor heatsink or faulty electrolytic capacitor swelling?
I guess that would mean a new board from a dealer or repair shop, not much gets repaired these days, they just replace a board.

Like I said, it will be a couple of weeks and I'll probably be going to Prestige motors at Stockton on tees, they have good reports and I've been there before and they were excellent.
Hopefully it wont have to go to the main dealers as I can see then shaking my wallet hard over this.

I'll report back on the outcome and look forward to further discussion for any more ideas.
Thanks guys.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sounds a bit Like a faulty / water damaged SAM - when water gets into one random things happen

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I’ll second the SAM suggestion. Open up and check for damp or water ingress

OP
L John

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, sounds like a strong possibility. Where is SAM located please?

OP
L John

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Checked battery and battery posts, all tight and clean. Car sits in a garage and only gets used for drives on nice days so I doubt water has got in unless its condensation from temperature changes?
I didn't try it without driving but checked everything else that I could, so it's now booked in on Friday 11th at Prestige Motors.
I'll report back when it's sorted, thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Sounds a bit Like a faulty / water damaged SAM - when water gets into one random things happen
Id agree fully with this although rear lights are the rear SAM but Comand will be the front SAM.

SAM is either in the footwell or underneath the main fusebox!

OP
L John

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, just got my fingers crossed it doesn't need a new module or modules as I'm sure that will cause the price to get silly.
The car is in great condition but probably only worth around £6000 now

OP
L John

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Another one with the same problem, or maybe the same person with a different name?

1623106887671.png

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Is it possible to try another battery. I had a Ford Focus with a similar issue and it turned out to be a voltage drop on the battery, the symptoms were a number of spurious faults ie, radio turning off and other electrical items failing, yet the car would start ok. A new battery solved the problem

OP
L John

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Forgot to mention, I sat in the car with the ignition on but not driving as suggested by Robin.large, the comand shut down after about 5 minutes but then opened and restarted a few seconds later. This repeated several times.
With that in mind Malcolm210, yes I can connect a jump start battery to it and try it again.
Many thanks everyone for the suggestions.

OP
L John

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I went to my local indi.
The engine management light has also been on for about 6 months as well so I asked them to look at that too.

They said the thermostatic valve is faulty causing the engine management light to stay on. £320 to sort that.
They said after that they will have to look at the software and if they have to reprogram it, that costs another £140.
Then they're going to do a battery test and said the problems relating to the comand shutting down and rear indicators etc all relate to the front sam.

Still at the indi, I'll keep you posted....

OP
L John

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Latest update.
Info back from indi, sorting the engine management light needed a new thermostatic control valve to be fitted and software needed to be reprogrammed, £500 for that bit.

Mechanic says he tried to reprogram the rear sam but it fails during update.
He says all the faults now relate to the rear sam.
Exchange rear sam module and coding etc will cost another £550
Actual total quoted is £1046.
Bit more than I was hoping for on a 13 year old car.

OP
L John

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just got the car back.
Rear sam was replaced with an exchange unit from Mercedes.
Total cost, just over a thousand pound all in for sorting this issue and the pre existing problem of an engine warning light showing.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom