Complete instrument cluster failure 2007 E320 CDI

leebinnacle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI Sports Estate 2007
I am new to the forum. I have suffered a complete instrument cluster failure on my recently privately purchased 2007 E320 CDI Sports Estate. Car is in for repair with a franchised Mercedes Benz main dealer. Car not yet 5 years old with full service record with MB. Dealer not certain MB will be sympathetic. Views please ?

Last edited:

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Sounds unfortunate if it is the cluster unit which has failed. You might receive a contribution, worth asking in any case. Can't recall any threads on this.

Others will advise shortly

OP
L

leebinnacle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am new to forum. I seem to have deleted my message coincident with your reply. Thanks for you reply. I will try to repost as thread starter

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am new to forum. I seem to have deleted my message coincident with your reply. Thanks for you reply. I will try to repost as thread starter

I have just answered your question on the other post :D

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Try ac tronics, do a google search!!!!!!

We have used them with good results..".

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
MB list price for a cluster from memory is £900+ so unless they pick up the whole tab or give > 50% contribution this could be very expensive.
Nick at www.euromerc.co.uk usually has a few on his website. They may be used, I'm not sure, but a new one would need reprogramming in any case.
Failure is very rare so I wouldn't be particularly concerned with a used one.
That, or as above, get your own one fixed. Either way, vasty cheaper than a new one off the shelf.

OP
L

leebinnacle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Initial roadside diagnostics indicated communication failure with Instrument Cluster. Subsequent diagnostics at main dealership indicated fault isolated to the Instrument Cluster itself and they insisted on describing the failure as total instrument cluster failure. Essentially, when the ignition is turned on there is no instrument display or computer display whatsoever, seemingly completely dead. I have to assume unserviceable as main dealership claims. Regretably I don't have the skills to replace myself.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Initial roadside diagnostics indicated communication failure with Instrument Cluster. Subsequent diagnostics at main dealership indicated fault isolated to the Instrument Cluster itself and they insisted on describing the failure as total instrument cluster failure. Essentially, when the ignition is turned on there is no instrument display or computer display whatsoever, seemingly completely dead. I have to assume unserviceable as main dealership claims. Regretably I don't have the skills to replace myself.

If you take the actronics route then the cluster has to go via a dealer or indie, they can pull your cluster out in minutes and send it back for you, you will save almost £1k over the MB price

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You have Colin at MBS who has answered on this post not that far from you, they are really good guys and I use them from where I live

OP
L

leebinnacle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The price I was quoted by my Mercedes-Benz dealer of £1200 plus VAT was for the complete package rather than just the part as I had thought. In the event, Mercedes-Benz has offered a 50% discount for good will which I have accepted on this occasion to minimise the hassle. Many thanks for all the helpful advice demonstrating the alternative non-Mercedes-Benz routes for repair.

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
This happened on my S Class W220, The first time it happened MB replaced the dash unit free of charge and the car was not even under warranty, The second time it happened Colin at M.B.S.fixed the same problem, Replace a fuse, It cost me a packet of biscuits...Bit over the top dont you think...Thanks Cole, Only joking.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Depends on the biscuits I suppose ?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom