Computing experts - help !

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Just typed a creative 3 page document in Works 7 on my Compaq laptop.

Just making adjustment to a couple of words and bang the whole of Works shut down on me, and I was left with the standard compter screen with all the icons on it.

Went back into Works to try and retrieve the document but not there, as I had not saved it.

Is there anyway to retreive the 3 page document???????????????????????????

As it was make up on the 'hoof' (so to speak) I have no copy and would very much like to be able to access it.

The laptop has not been switched off since.

XP is installed with all latest service packs etc. McAfee also installed.

Any ideas anyone - would be very grateful for the help.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Just typed a creative 3 page document in Works 7 on my Compaq laptop.

Just making adjustment to a couple of words and bang the whole of Works shut down on me, and I was left with the standard computer screen with all the icons on it.

Went back into Works to try and retrieve the document but not there, as I had not saved it.

Is there anyway to retrieve the 3 page document???????????????????????????

As it was make up on the 'hoof' (so to speak) I have no copy and would very much like to be able to access it.

The laptop has not been switched off since.

XP is installed with all latest service packs etc. McAfee also installed.

Any ideas anyone - would be very grateful for the help.

Hi David,

What a b*mm*r.

If your machine "saves" periodically, it might be in there somewhere.

I would try 2 possibilities - first go to the medium you were working in and pull down the list of recent documents, it may be there.

Failing that, try to save a document which you have just created in the same format (just a spoof) and find out where the machine suggests as the default folder - your lost document may be there.

As the machine did not shut down, might there be anything on the clipboard? Open a fresh document and try pasting.

You might also receive more erudite expert responses, but you will do no harm trying these.

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency
Do a search for temporary files (*.tmp) by date and you may be lucky enough to find something which may contain all or part of the document. If/when you find the file, right click/select open with/then select notepad. There's a good chance there will be a lot of garbage in there (formatting and header info) but the text may be there too. You can then select the text and copy/paste into a new document.

Best of luck!!!

Chris.

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Click on Start → Search → Documents (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.) → use advanced search options.

Enter a phrase from your lost text in a word or phrase in the document:, and click Search.

There is just a chance that this will unearth your lost document.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
And the lesson you have learnt from this epsode is????????????

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
You could try closing it down and it will ask you if you want to save the document. and if it closes down without saving when u start it up again it will ask if you want to revert to the previous doc... also check if you can undo the last tasks ,

Last edited:

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
And the lesson you have learnt from this epsode is????????????

Save your work regularly - Good advice from "Captain Static" - A nickname from my previous employer as I was a regular "BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)" producer.

And don't get me going on the undocumented characteristics of anything Microsoft - including the drop-down changes between office versions.

Diggers

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom