Connecting Accessories W209

PhilTilson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CDI
I have just replaced my beloved 300CE with a CLK320CDI (thanks to a clumsy neighbour writing it off!)

In the 300CE it was a relatively easy job to hook in additional accessories - Tomtom satnav, in-car video camera etc - but I am reluctant to start poking around in this pristine new(ish) car!

Is there a general guide anywhere as to the electrical system employed? Does the car use the CANBUS system? Is the ONLY way I can connect these items via the 12v power socket in the centre console? (Very messy - dangling wires etc). Or can I fairly easily get into the centre lighting cluster at the top of the windscreen?

Any pointers gratefully received!

Phil

c15htn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'00 A208 CLK320 Convertible.
As the man says, I'd go off the back of the fuse box - fused side / or using an inline fuse holder.

You probably have a fuse box of some sort in the passenger compartment, thread through the dash, up the pillar and Bobs your uncle :p

I'd avoid any lighting / locking fuses though - just in case you upset the computers in charge:shock:

OP
P

PhilTilson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CDI
npuk/c15htn - Wise advice - thanks!

Have now purchased on-line workshop manual. Hmm - a bit more complicated than the 300CE! I shall take it very gently. Good job I have a warranty with this car!

Phil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I always hard wire the odds and end so that no wires on the dash at all.

You can come of the rear of the cigar lighter and run wire under the dash over to the A pillars, go up the A pillars if wires wanted at the top and along the top rail all out of sight. Dropping devices with a cigar lighter plug i house into a small plastic box (Maplins) and leave that under the dash.

Anything is possible, I have all the 209 papers printed off if you need any while sorting out your WIS

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom