Consideing a diesel W204 Estate 2008-2010. What to look for.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I spent years driving manuals all over the country and hated it, since moving to a auto I would never go back to a manual with out primary car. Sorry, not helpful to this post.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Unsurprisingly an A6 estate was on the list for consideration. I prefer the looks/interiors of both Mercedes and BMW to the Audi though.

Also I didn't want to go back to a car with a timing belt. Unless the design is flawed... or it's put at the rear of the engines like the N47 BMW...with correct oil changes a timing chain should go to very high mileages giving notice gradually if worn well before failure and be a OK DIY job. At the moment all 5 cars I look after for the immediate family have chains and its a relief from the time when we all had cars with belts... I seemed forever to be changing a belt on one or another.

Peter re the older shape. Well it might have been a possibility and I'm no age/badge snob but if making a change I did want to get to that more modern post 2007 design and step a bit further away from the potential for rust on the body.

BMW 5-series updated their models in 2004 to a shape that still seems quite current... compared to my old E39 anyway... and they don't seem to rust so quickly so that gives me a broader spread of years for them.

If for any reason I didn't want either Mercedes or BMW I'd probably get a high spec Mondeo around 2010!

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to add, the 5 series and A6's are bigger cars than the W204 estate.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Just to add, the 5 series and A6's are bigger cars than the W204 estate.
Yes, 3 series BM and A4 Audi are the equivalent to a 204 C Class - go for a W212 much nicer :D

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None of the car sizes quite work out across makes. The S204 is more roomy inside for me than the A4 and 3-series which feel quite cramped. But the E-class estate is far bigger and more premium than I need.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I just find Audi's depressingly dark inside and really uncomfortable (S-Line)
Totally agreed - dull as dishwater, it was the S Line Black edition I had just to make things worse!

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Totally agreed - dull as dishwater, it was the S Line Black edition I had just to make things worse!
A friend of mine drove S lines for years, he still has the A4 S - line quattro on the drive and now has a 335d XDrive. When he first drove the 335 he found it too agressive, but loves the car now, plus the interior is a lot better. I found the A4 to be really dated and boring inside.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to round off...

Well thanks for all the thoughts, really useful. However my car purchase will probably surprise many. Whether C-class or 5-series once you refined the search on Autotrader to my wishes there are so few to look at and often not in this area... don't want to travel 2hrs plus to look at stuff where the "full history" turns out to be a current MOT, handbook and service book with no stamps newer than 60k ago.

Hence in 2mths of looking failed to find a suitable car. Important to mention Mrs D joins me in retirement in three years when our car needs and availability of retirement cash may change what sort of car we both want. So not the time now to up the budget to get what I want.

Hence when by chance passing our village garage I noticed a dark met green large estate... diesel manual with the leather/woody trim style I like... lower mileage than any MB/BMW I'd seen supported by dealer history and an MOT two weeks short of a year a test drive was essential.

Drove really well and deal agreed at 60% of the price for a similar spec C-class saw me bring it home.

So I now have a 2008 Mondeo Ghia. I was a bit unsure about being Mondeo man but I'm sure Burtons can outfit me to match... and I will of course get a MB fix most weeks with Mrs D's CLK.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to round off...

Well thanks for all the thoughts, really useful. However my car purchase will probably surprise many. Whether C-class or 5-series once you refined the search on Autotrader to my wishes there are so few to look at and often not in this area... don't want to travel 2hrs plus to look at stuff where the "full history" turns out to be a current MOT, handbook and service book with no stamps newer than 60k ago.

Hence in 2mths of looking failed to find a suitable car. Important to mention Mrs D joins me in retirement in three years when our car needs and availability of retirement cash may change what sort of car we both want. So not the time now to up the budget to get what I want.

Hence when by chance passing our village garage I noticed a dark met green large estate... diesel manual with the leather/woody trim style I like... lower mileage than any MB/BMW I'd seen supported by dealer history and an MOT two weeks short of a year a test drive was essential.

Drove really well and deal agreed at 60% of the price for a similar spec C-class saw me bring it home.

So I now have a 2008 Mondeo Ghia. I was a bit unsure about being Mondeo man but I'm sure Burtons can outfit me to match... and I will of course get a MB fix most weeks with Mrs D's CLK.
The 2008 Mondeo is a good workhorse with a comfortable drive, Mine was a 58 plate, but was a much nicer drive than my 2012 Insignia.
I spent zero effort in finding my MB, I joined here said I was looking for a C class at around £12-14k. Fellow member John Laidlaw found ones 200 miles from me. 3 days, two phone calls and three trains I bought it home, didn't even test drive as I had no insurance :D.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
It all comes down to luck. We wanted a good low mileage blue c class, Put a new MOT on our old car and gave ourselves a year to find one. First day of looking found it 15 mins drive away. Brilliant. I still do the same search occasionally and have not been able to find anything like it in our price bracket at the time.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
>>>Luck/location etc...

Yep true. If you can call it luck getting a Mondeo there was a bit of that finding this decent car.

I'd actually taken Mrs D's CLK for a short test run after fitting a new anti-roll bar. Passed our village garage where the CLK came from and on the off chance called in to see if they knew of any C-class estates locally for sale. They said no but what about this Mondeo.

Right money, right history, favourite colour and one of only two Ghia 2l diesel estates in the country on Autotrader with full leather.

When I got it home and fiddled with the 6-CD player it ejected a full set of Ministry of Sound I love Disco mix CDs. Win win eh?

cougarking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 cdi estate
Droverunner

Had a mondeo good cars and a lot of space did 120k,only issue is the injectors can play up.

Where are you located you mention burtons so wonder if your a Ramsey man!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom