Considering a Jag

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Regulars here will know I've had my 202 C280 v6 for 11 years and a mighty good car it has been and still is, apart from some superficial rust. I've hummed and ha'd for ages now about changing it but nothing has really taken my fancy, until this last weekend when l had a quick look at a Jaguar XF. I have to say l was very much taken with it. A little on the large size but wow what a lovely interior and the body seems very well made and finished plus zero rust. I've read some buying guides which seem to be very positive.
So, I'm getting tempted. I realise it might cost a little more than the 202 to maintain, but l can live with that.
Just wondered what others think about the XF and any experiences, good or bad.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I've driven a few but would never pick one over an E Class Mercedes, just bland - nice enough but not engaging at all and left me cold.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
After being left completely cold from road testing the new E-class I popped along to have a look at an XF.
Walked in through the showroom door where there was nice looking XF to the right.
Unfortunately for the XF there was an F-Type to the left.
A quick test drive later and an order was placed!

Edit: Composed before Blobcat's reply!

Rob76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E280 CDI Sport
I sat in new one recently (68 plate) and got straight back out; the interior quality is not a patch on my S211

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
After being left completely cold from road testing the new E-class I popped along to have a look at an XF.
Walked in through the showroom door where there was nice looking XF to the right.
Unfortunately for the XF there was an F-Type to the left.
A quick test drive later and an order was placed!

Edit: Composed before Blobcat's reply!
So you’ve gone for the F Type? Like those

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
They're nice but would you chose one over a 911? I know what my answer would be/was
No, nor an i8 either which like you would be/was my answer!
I would probably have the Lotus Evora over it as well....

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
They're nice but would you chose one over a 911? I know what my answer would be/was
I must admit that I thought the F-Type was suprisingly heavy for an aluminium car, plus when I looked inside there was very little luggage space for what is quite a large car. Which brings us back to the 911...

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Regulars here will know I've had my 202 C280 v6 for 11 years and a mighty good car it has been and still is, apart from some superficial rust. I've hummed and ha'd for ages now about changing it but nothing has really taken my fancy, until this last weekend when l had a quick look at a Jaguar XF. I have to say l was very much taken with it. A little on the large size but wow what a lovely interior and the body seems very well made and finished plus zero rust. I've read some buying guides which seem to be very positive.
So, I'm getting tempted. I realise it might cost a little more than the 202 to maintain, but l can live with that.
Just wondered what others think about the XF and any experiences, good or bad.

Just a note to say that my son-in-law has just got rid of his XF and bought an MB. He got sick to death of continuing issues with the electrics (Engine management) . Fox's in Norwich tried to solve the problems but were unable. They eventually bought it back from him :(

Last edited:

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
So you’ve gone for the F Type? Like those

Enormous fun and real head turner. The 911 (or Porsche in general) just doesn't do it for me.
A friend has a 911 and getting in and out is nothing like as easy as the F-Type which was a practical consideration for an everyday car.
Mine's a coupe which has perfectly adequate boot space for most needs. Anything else and take the trusty Vito (which is one of the reasons I'm still here).

OP
G

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Thanks to all who contributed.
I've decided the XF is too big and although I'm sure it will fit on my drive l think it would take up far too much room. And it definately wouldn't fit under the car port which it must do when I'm using my SLK.
So back to the drawing board. Might just keep the C280 for yet another year or two as there's no pressing reason to move it on, apart from some rust which is beginning to show. I could get it done if l could find a really good local bodyshop. Worst bit is the n s f wing which could do with being replaced completely to do a proper job. Surprisingly the o s f wing hasn't got any rust whatsoever.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I've decided the XF is too big and although I'm sure it will fit on my drive l think it would take up far too much room. And it definately wouldn't fit under the car port which it must do when I'm using my SLK.
So back to the drawing board. Might just keep the C280 for yet another year or two as there's no pressing reason to move it on, apart from some rust which is beginning to show. I could get it done if l could find a really good local bodyshop. Worst bit is the n s f wing which could do with being replaced completely to do a proper job. Surprisingly the o s f wing hasn't got any rust whatsoever.

You have made your decision but another strange thing about an XF. Both my son-in-law and a very good friend of mine both had XF's and they both commented on how hard they are to get out of. They both said they had to 'roll' out of it because of the shape of the seats. I must say that I didn't find them the easiest things to get out of either. Both now no longer have them, Son-in-law an MB and friend a Range Rover :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

XF would be it's E Class size, XE would be similar to the W202

MEMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250AMG

The XF is a bulky inelegant thing. Even though it might fit on your drive whether it 'easily' fits on our predominantly narrow roads is another matter unless you roam motorways & dual-carriageways most times.

wivenhoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 E Class E350e plug in hybrid
Just to say you made the right decision. I had a 11 plate XF 3.0 from new. Had to get rid within a year (at great cost !) due to major faults. Really regretted buying it and the service at Jaguar Ipswich was abysmal.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to say you made the right decision. I had a 11 plate XF 3.0 from new. Had to get rid within a year (at great cost !) due to major faults. Really regretted buying it and the service at Jaguar Ipswich was abysmal.

Precisely the same situation with my son-in-law although the problems were to do with engine management.The service from H.A. Fox in Norwich was also poor in as much as they were completely unable to resolve the problems. His was a 2016 3.0 XF and you would have thought that by that time JL would have had these problems sorted :(

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom