Considering this SL350

welease woger

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E Class Cabriolet
I’m considering buying this SL350, one owner and a very low mileage.
My main concern is the near absence of a service history. The dealer says the Mercedes digital record shows the first service in April 2016 at 19,000 miles (ie 8 years after it was purchased new!) and the only other service just two months ago by MBS Southampton who from their website appear to be members on here. The MOT history appears to be satisfactory. (Reg No. PJ08GVN)
Thoughts.
https://www.peternashcars.co.uk/used/cars/mercedes-benz-sl-sl350-2-door-10187/

RobinM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 SL320, Locost 7
My main concern is the near absence of a service history. The dealer says the Mercedes digital record shows the first service in April 2016 at 19,000 miles (ie 8 years after it was purchased new!) and the only other service just two months ago by MBS Southampton who from their website appear to be members on here. The MOT history appears to be satisfactory. (Reg No. PJ08GVN)
Thoughts.

Personally I would be very wary about buying this car without service history and invoices or receipts for any expenditure. I would also question why it has 3 Pirelli Zero tyres and 1 Goodyear as I believe any caring owner would fit matching tyres although I am very picky!

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Looks nice enough but as Robin said I wouldn't but a car without service history.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If it’s been serviced by MBS @Cole@MBS might be able to give you an idea on how good (or bad) it is.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
I wouldn't necessarily reject out of hand. MB are solid cars and driven well will not need significant outlay under 30,000 miles.
The mileage at around 2k per year (ISH) is consistently low. If backed up by MOT then probably not driven in winter or bad weather. Likely to have been kept for 'sunny day' driving.
Looks very clean indeed.

Dealer has treated the tyres so they are keen to sell it!
So I would ask dealer to pair up the tyres and get an MB main dealer to run a comprehensive health check on the car.
Drive it from cold and see how smooth it is.

If it's one owner then get details and call them?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Trouble is you need to be absolutely on it when inspecting such cars.

Despite modern extended service intervals, I would expect more than 1 digital dealer record over that span of years! This is due to the fact that such maintenance schedule state mileage or date, whichever comes first.

It’s not uncommon to find owners who buy cars, drive them and keep having the digital mileages turned back before the next service/dealer visit, mot. Despite this car potentially seeing minimal weekend use, the former should not be discounted

I’d certainly want to contact the previous owner just to try and get as much information to put the pieces of the jigsaw together, prior to making a decision.

With the tyre issue, it’s common to see genuine tyre punctures and places are unlikely to have that size, in a specific premium brand/variant readily available on the spot. If desperate you end up fitting what is available from stock. Being in the trade, I know the Goodyear’s, (despite them being my go to brand) are considerably cheaper than Pirelli. Not the end of the world but, a matched set of tyres does play a part in safety especially when driving through heavy rain. I’d guess the Goodyear was ordered in, due to lower price only and potentially the car may have an alignment issue causing one corner to wear quicker than the others.

Another, I'd want to get underneath that and check how clean all of the underside looks, including any hangers, nuts/bolts etc to help validate the consistency of the low mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
The vendor does seem to have lots of nice metal looking at the website. Personally I wouldn't be parting with my hard earned until I knew (and was comfortable with) why it has not had any services until 2016! As part of the manufacturers warranty I was under the impression the vehicle had to be serviced by the main dealers (or certified garages using OEM parts) for the 1st three years of its life.

There is plenty of SL 350s out there, I would pass this one by. :)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Beautiful car (Pallladium Silver is one of my favourites) condition checks with mileage as there is little wear in the vehicle. Regarding service history the owner may have changed the oil themselves as there would be little other maintenance required at that mileage other than a brake flush.

Quite a dilemma I can see the attraction though as it is a rare find does look like a weekend car as always it would be interesting to see a photo of the underneath the car

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Thoughts.
I think it looks to be a great car and one I would go for. The absence of service history might be queried, but I'm sure MBS will have sorted out any outstanding issues. Nothing beats examining the car yourself though. If the car had 100k without much history I would also avoid. Another thing as well - digital service history can't necessarily be relied on ( I doubt the car went 8 years without a service). Service book had to be relied on prior to it's introduction so not all history will be recorded in the absence of the book. Digital on mine shows 2 services missing, despite the fact that I have all the documentation to prove to the contrary.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
It might be lacking some history but it was a really nice honest car from what I remember old chap who owned it and did very little with it, Peter nash cars only deal in top end cars so tells you what kind of car it is!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Palladium and face lift, what's not to like?
Agree with above comments , think if it were me I'd go for it.

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Trouble is you need to be absolutely on it when inspecting such cars.

Despite modern extended service intervals, I would expect more than 1 digital dealer record over that span of years! This is due to the fact that such maintenance schedule state mileage or date, whichever comes first.

It’s not uncommon to find owners who buy cars, drive them and keep having the digital mileages turned back before the next service/dealer visit, mot. Despite this car potentially seeing minimal weekend use, the former should not be discounted

I’d certainly want to contact the previous owner just to try and get as much information to put the pieces of the jigsaw together, prior to making a decision.

With the tyre issue, it’s common to see genuine tyre punctures and places are unlikely to have that size, in a specific premium brand/variant readily available on the spot. If desperate you end up fitting what is available from stock. Being in the trade, I know the Goodyear’s, (despite them being my go to brand) are considerably cheaper than Pirelli. Not the end of the world but, a matched set of tyres does play a part in safety especially when driving through heavy rain. I’d guess the Goodyear was ordered in, due to lower price only and potentially the car may have an alignment issue causing one corner to wear quicker than the others.

Another, I'd want to get underneath that and check how clean all of the underside looks, including any hangers, nuts/bolts etc to help validate the consistency of the low mileage.

Can you expand on this a bit DSK regarding the digital milage being turned back, Are you implying that the vehicle has been clocked somehow.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Well clocking is easy enough with software overrides available but.... If the MOT mileage record is consistent year by year, which seems to be the case, and if only a single owner then I wouldn't have this anywhere near my worry list.
Again a health check at a main dealer is the best option as they will highlight anything amiss and will check way more than an AA or RAC check.
I'm not a huge fan of dealer maintenance on older cars.
I do my own, for several reasons.
1) I save money
2) I know what I'm doing
3) I document, photograph and receipt everything done and bought

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I’m not implying that, the vehicle in question has been tampered with itself. Just commenting generally as to what I would do to confirm what you are being told about the vehicle.

Rather, when presented with such a vehicle, well, in this day and age any vehicle, it’s down to the buyer to ensure it checks out with what’s been described.

E.g. if a vehicle is low mileage, shiny and bright on the outside, I’d get under it and look for signs that the underside condition is also consistent with that. I’d do this even if all documented history is consistent.

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
I’m not implying that, the vehicle in question has been tampered with itself. Just commenting generally as to what I would do to confirm what you are being told about the vehicle.

Rather, when presented with such a vehicle, well, in this day and age any vehicle, it’s down to the buyer to ensure it checks out with what’s been described.

E.g. if a vehicle is low mileage, shiny and bright on the outside, I’d get under it and look for signs that the underside condition is also consistent with that. I’d do this even if all documented history is consistent.

Ok I just thought that these days it would be nigh impossible to alter the mileage of a vehicle.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Ok I just thought that these days it would be nigh impossible to alter the mileage of a vehicle.
Extremely easy. Easier than traditional speedometers in fact as you don't even need to remove anything.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
It’s sold , did you buy it ?

Top Bottom