Continental sport contact 2 defect ** SAFETY **

Gordon R

Reaction score
Today fitted replacement 265/35/18 sport contact 3 on my w211 with Amg alloys. The sc2s that came off showed evidence of cracking all the way around the inner wall between top of wall and tread. With the concern have also looked at the fronts 245/40/18 - same issue.

It transpires that continental know of the problem relating to "mo" fitments for tyres manufactured end part of 2008 to early 2009. They claim it is the way the tyre tread is wrapped round and bonded. My tyres were stamped wk 48/08.

Hence to say, my fronts are being replaced tomorrow with new sc3 rubber (that are apparently made differently) and the others are going back to continental for assessment and i guess part wear contribution / refund.

Continental technical claim they would pass mot as no reinforcement showing but to me these were without doubt dangerous and susceptible to pick up debris and potential blowout.

If you have these tyres - please check and reject if appropriate

PICTURE ATTACHED photo.JPG

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thank you,, I think that someone put up the same thing earlier in the year,,this must really upset the balancing.

Knowing that you have tyres like that would make anyone nervous about driving fast .

Thanks again for the warning

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Ironic isn't it that car manufacturers would have to issue a recall yet tyre manfacturers ignore the issue. Disgraceful really!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
My FIL had ContiEcoContacts on his car and they developed lots of cracks. The guy that owns the tyre place his company uses said Continental tyres always do that and they're rubbish.

I'm struggling to believe that's true. My daughter's car had Dunlop SPSport tyres and at 4yrs old / 34k mile (but ony half worn) the rears developed horrible looking open cracks at the base of the tread grooves. Got an advisory on MOT but they said not really an issue. I took a tyre off to look at it properly and was horrified - got them changed them immediately.

GlynC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi A8 Sport
Blimey thats bad news
Had those on many of my car with no worries today, they also recently came out top in the tests with AutoExpress.
Assume this defect is no longer present on the most recent ones as I am due a couple for the front of the C class ?

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
Ouch - and had just convinced myself that next time I would go for Continental PremiumContact2 next time around - maybe not. Any other suggestions for an A Class,majoring on ride comfort/low noise?

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom