Continental Sport Contact 2

leeppp222

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 S350L
Following on from a previous post about tyre recommendations, I've been let down by the local garage in that they ordered the wrong tyres and can't get the ones I want until next week. (Apparently nobody can get hold of F! Asymmetic3 in the size I want, including on Black Circles, etc).

I cannot wait until next week as I have one tyre that has a crack / tear in it so need replacing before the weekend. To be able to do that, the only tyres that can get (that are also MO stamped) are the Continental Sport Contact 2

I've read very mixed reviews about these so before going ahead, just wanted to ask here: does anyone else have these and what do you think of them?

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Hello, not completely realted but I had them on my old car. Golf GTI mk5. Very good in the dry, extremely good in the wet. Was able to put all the power down in extremely wet condition no drama. Very pleased with them. Only downside being they lasted me only 10k on a front wheel drive car. Cannot imagine them lasting any longer on a mercedes.

OP
L

leeppp222

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 S350L
My other option is to drive for an hour to a garage who can fit Dunlopp SportMaxx MO (which they claim are as good as Goodyear F1 Asymmetic2)

OP
L

leeppp222

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 S350L

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The Dunlop is excellent, the GY is also but will last longer, the Dunlop is a softer compound.

You DO NOT have to fit MO rated tyres.

The Conti SC2 is old, they are on the SC6 now!!!!!!

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Excellent tyre. trying to replace my two rears at the moment. always had contis and found the wear to excellent, grip braking etc very good.

jib

OP
L

leeppp222

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 S350L
Excellent tyre. trying to replace my two rears at the moment. always had contis and found the wear to excellent, grip braking etc very good.

jib

Hmm...not sure what to go for - one person recommending Contis and the other, Dunlop. My initial thought was the Dunlops - primarily from online reviews. The Contis are MO stamped (but as advised above, that's not necessarily too important).

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Hmm...not sure what to go for - one person recommending Contis and the other, Dunlop. My initial thought was the Dunlops - primarily from online reviews. The Contis are MO stamped (but as advised above, that's not necessarily too important).

Dunlop is a far better tyre

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hello, not completely realated but I had them on my old car. Golf GTI mk5. Very good in the dry, extremely good in the wet. Was able to put all the power down in extremely wet condition no drama. Very pleased with them. Only downside being they lasted me only 10k on a front wheel drive car. Cannot imagine them lasting any longer on a mercedes.

I too had them on my VW Eos 2.0TFSi and they were brilliant in all of the areas you mention. They did last a lot longer than 10.000 miles though. A reflection on your driving style perhaps ?? ;)

OP
L

leeppp222

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 S350L
What were the Conti's like for road noise?

Anyone know why the garage would recommend the SportContact2 seeing as they're an old tyre?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
What were the Conti's like for road noise?

Anyone know why the garage would recommend the SportContact2 seeing as they're an old tyre?

I didn't have a problem with the road noise. However I did only have Conti's on the VW so there wasn't anything to compare the noise levels with :)

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
I have Conti's on my SLK, in fact I'm on my second set. No problems with grip, handling or life, although road noise is quite noticeable. This may be more a characteristic of the car rather than the tyre though as I've had no other tyre on this car to compare them with. They are MO, but as others have pointed out, this is of no significance.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I have Conti's on my SLK, in fact I'm on my second set. No problems with grip, handling or life, although road noise is quite noticeable. This may be more a characteristic of the car rather than the tyre though as I've had no other tyre on this car to compare them with. They are MO, but as others have pointed out, this is of no significance.

Just £30 dearer for the same tyre without MO on it.

jib

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I had Conticontact 2's on my S204 when I bought it - noisy, did not like them. Changed to GY Eagle F1 Assyms, love them - quiet, excellent grip wet and dry. No way would I go back to contis.

I also years ago fitted contis to the rear of my 968 coupe, on the recommendation of the local ATS manager. Ran them at recommended pressure and the centre wore away in 10k miles - and I do not rag the car! Changed to Bridgestones, they were fine.

OP
L

leeppp222

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 S350L
Just as an update - after much deliberation and reading of online reviews, I opted for the newer Conti Sport Contact 6 and so far am very impressed.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom