Convertible Roof.

B

brick10

I am thinking about waterproofing my roof, i wanted to leave it until March when the weather improves, will it be OK to clean the roof and waterproof it now, i will be using the Autoglym product
for this. Many thanks.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
You need to ensure the roof dries completely after washing before treating and be able to allow it to not get wet for 24 hours after treatment for it to be properly effective.

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
We use the stuff for waterproofing tents from Halfords. It's much cheaper and easier to apply as an aerosol spray then you spread it in gently and evenly with a microfibre cloth. We've never had a problem with it and it is very long lasting. We (I really mean I with Mrs 13156 sitting on the front garden bench) treated the roof in August with the rain still beading on it this morning, despite some horrible weather this week and over the winter. The only issue we've had with the roof is that the seals at the top of the A pillar tend to recede a bit and let water in over the top of the glass.

You do need to let it dry properly before you apply another coat.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
We use the stuff for waterproofing tents from Halfords. It's much cheaper and easier to apply as an aerosol spray then you spread it in gently and evenly with a microfibre cloth. We've never had a problem with it and it is very long lasting.
Ditto on my Smart. Works really well.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
If you want to create a DIY pack then you can use the following:

Cleaning:
Cleaning Agent - Johnson's Baby Shampoo (blue bottle not the yellow)
Removing any Mildew - Diluted Milton baby bottle steriliser
Cheap brush like those oversized nailbrushes work well.

Treating:
Fabsil if there is no restoration of colour required (Usually do one coat, leave to dry to 24 hours then do another and let dry, although one coat is enough if done spring and autumn).
Renovo if there is colour restoration required for black roofs (make sure you keep the glass clean, newspaper over the side windows and closed is good for those, just be careful of the rear)

Sprays are OK, but not as effective as the liquid. Get a cheap wallpaper brush and suitably sized tub to be able to apply liberally and quickly saving loads of time on applying.

Used these products for years on many different cars and has worked well.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Another vote for grangers Fabsil

OP
B

brick10

Many thanks for all of the replies.

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few ideas to try like the baby shampoo and the Milton. Our roof is a bit manky at the moment.

Thanks!

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ours has lots of little blotches on it like mould stains. Mrs 13156 also put it into the local east european valeters earlier in the year while she went shopping and the twats blasted it with a power washer. Took sheets of glaze off the front bumper and front wing as well as leaving power washer marks on the roof. They denied all knowledge and said it was like that when it came in. Bar Stewards!

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Renovo do a blue as well I think .

They do indeed make a blue coloured restorer. That's another wee job for the summer to add to refurbing the wheels and reglazing the front bumper and wing. Hopefully, it'll end up looking like the photo again.

Attachments

• IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 5

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
Best to do it in the summer, unless you have a garage or car port to let it dry in.

As others say it needs to dry thoroughly after the cleaning and again needs to stay dry until it dries after you apply the treatment. Popping it straight back out in the rain will wash most of it off.

Also if you use an aerosol or spray mask off the glass and body work, as the spray dries hard like lacquer and will make a mess of the glass and paint, makes the glass opaque.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Using a car cover or tarp is a handy get out of trouble option for that unforecast summer shower .

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
The homebrew process of 400xil is the best.
If you use Renovo, keep a wet edge...

I used on the Saab and it looked false

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom