coolant leak 208

Gt Russell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor convertable
Hi , I just xhanged the oil and filter on my CLK200 kompressor and noticed anti freez leaking from the rear corner of the head above the exhaust manifold , or at least thats where it looks like its coming from.
Its not dripping and looks just a little damp
Just wondering how difficult it is to change the head gasket in case it is that or would it be something a little more simple.any ideas or is this common to the 208:(

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
as head gaskets go it is not too hard, although care needs to be taken and there are a few tips you need, esp with the compressor engine. presuambly you have done similar jobs before? this is not the one to learn on...

also, if it is a coolant leak expect coolant staining where it evaporates.

OP
G

Gt Russell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes iv done heads before and reasonably experienced i just need toque settings and advice as to weather i need new head bolts and cam timing etc Ie a manual to go by

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I can give you any info that you need,, would it be worth trying a bottle of K seal first

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
the c-class haynes manual covers your engine very well. torques, timing etc is all there. the thing with the compressor engine is to lock the timing rail with a suitable nylon wedge before removing the exhaust sprocket and inlet camshaft. always mark the position of the chain on the sprockets and do not turn the engine if using this cheat!! normally you would remove the tensioner but it is tricky on the compressor engine. head bolts should be fine but the haynes will give you a max length - they are usually well within this. some people will say you must ALWAYS replace these stretch bolts on any engine! but if they are well within the tolerance and in good condition they will be fine.

OP
G

Gt Russell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thamks very much guys thats great
And yes malcom could you give me the instruction info on this please I will pm you my email

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent you a pipes of info,,if you are missing something please ask. ignore the Vito bit, its all the same engine

OP
G

Gt Russell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi, and thank you very much Malcolm that is just what i need
do you think k seal will last long term ? or would i best change the head gasket /

OP
G

Gt Russell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would also like to thank Alexander Patient for you help also:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
K seal has a very good name in the trade and for£10 it must be worth a go

OP
G

Gt Russell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ok cheers for that i will give it a go first , But I am a bit disappointed that after only 50k miles this is gone :( I got car with 30k miles on and changed the oil and filter every 6k and it is still clean when I change it so it has been well looked after and never driven hard IE no more than 65 - 70 ish on motorway and also I drive it gently

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom