Cooling air in a W126?

Soulstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300 SE 1989
Hello all,
I have a 1989 w126 without air conditioning, but a mate tells me I have "climate control" (which he feels is better than a/c) as I have twin dials with temperature settings.

Having just done my first long, hot journey and just stopped sweltering, I'm doubting it's climate control, and although it may be good for heating in winter, in summer I'm thinking it is just a "blower".

I've just set the 2 dials to "min", and the circulation dial to the vent setting. Is this as cool as I can get it - any ideas? It looks like this (although controls have been moved in this picture):

4685944774_f1c7676111.jpg

Thanks for any help.

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
I'm afraid thats as cool as you'll get. Your mate might be confusing the system with the fully automatic climate control, which cost more but is less reliable when it gets to the age of our cars. It has only one temperature dial and a set of pushbuttons.
I prefer ours, as the temp can be set individually for each side, and the fan speed can be chosen.
You have got the three sliders above the panel (for the vents) slid all the way to the left havent you? These control the air to the dash vents in the centre (centre slider) and the larger of the outside dash vents, (left and right sliders.)
Perhaps also switch off the vent in the rear of the car with its slider if you have no passengers.
And obviously switch your fan on :)

OP
S

Soulstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300 SE 1989
Cheers Ian, I feared that was the case. I've just been spoilt from aircon in my 'family car'. Never mind, I'll still prefer to baste in the comfort of my merc. Thanks.

TomJones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w123 280CE, s210 320cdi
Model with air con, see pic.
Make sure when you put controls to min, that they make a `click`. Otherwise you might sweat inside (they have indeed climate control, with or without air-con)

Attachments

• DSCF1495.jpg
    DSCF1495.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 55

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Crack open the sunroof in the tilt position. This will increase the airflow thro the centre and side dash vents if you set the rotary knob position to 9o 'clock on the right hand side. Both twin roller dials set to min.

OP
S

Soulstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300 SE 1989
That's interesting Tom, there definitely has not been a "click" when turning to min. Will have a fiddle around with the dials tomorrow.
Cheers.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Soulstar

Is there hot air coming into car when your dials are set to cold ?

If so, you may have the duovalves which may be faulty and these go bad in the hot mode.

Also perhaps get a thermometer to check the passenger compartment temp, as ther heater/cooler thermostat may have gone faulty.

There is a very precise temp control internally for this car between lower and upper temps, (even without the cold aircon versions)

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
Yes i wondered the same as kth286. Duovalves are an easy fix if they are indeed faulty and letting heat in the car. Liking the look of your posh red interior btw :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes another saying that if the duo valve is sticky then you will get no cool air as the stick or fail in the hot mode

OP
S

Soulstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300 SE 1989
Thank you all very much. I fiddled around and huffed and puffed into the dials - they now "click" which must be a good start. To be honest, I need another sweltering journey to test if this is much colder.

Hot air doesn't blow when set to cold, and the heater seems fine and will be appreciated n winter, so, I don't thnk the duovalves are the culprit. However, have bookmarked Doomed Parrot's "how to" post, just in case.

Ian L - yes, the red interior is very erm, womb-like. The source of much conversation / derision - I love it!

Thanks again.

Top Bottom