Cordless impact wrench

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
if you have a compressor why not get a windy gun
A lot of domestic compressors can't provide the necessary flow :(
In addition a lot of industrial applications are moving away from air due to the noise

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
A lot of domestic compressors can't provide the necessary flow :(
In addition a lot of industrial applications are moving away from air due to the noise
Exactly this. My compressor can't provide enough air for continuous use of a windy gun. It's ok for an air grinder or a couple of bolts on the windy gun but then you have to wait for pressure to build again.

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 komp elegance se a 2005
I originally bought a cheap mains one. This works well for stubborn bolts. Then I bought the Lidl Parkside 20v impact. You have to crack some bolts manually. But otherwise, I'm happy.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
no, do not have a compressor.
I will look at the Ryobi one and see what that's like, thanks guys. Pity no one has thoughts on Draper, as price wise its what i wanted to pay, but i suppose you get what you pay for.

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Auto express did a review of a number of them a few months ago and the Draper was one of those reviewed. It wasn’t top but did fare well 4/5.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Thanks
The Ryobi is not that much more, about £155 with 4 amh battery.
If i am looking at the correct one, three speed
Its either R181W3 or P261.
Might give it a go.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Thanks
The Ryobi is not that much more, about £155 with 4 amh battery.
If i am looking at the correct one, three speed
Its either R181W3 or P261.
Might give it a go.

Ideally I think you need a 5ah battery or the max torque cannot be reached.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Lostkiwi.
Yep, complete unit with a 4amp battery and charger about £155, there are lots of body only advertised, but once you add battery and charger, comes up the same or slightly more.
I will give some serious thought to this one, as looks like it will do what i require.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I see buying individual components of Chinese charger and 5ah cell (from UK stock) the price comes down to £130.
I haven't noticed a difference between using 4Ah and 5Ah, but I can't measure the torque.

I look forward to your feedback.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
May be a while, not very good at spending money, have to be in right mood !!!!!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Don't buy a Parkside 12v impact wrench, it says it will put out 400Nm breakout torque, does it hell! Only good for spinning the bolts out once you've broken whatever make-up torque the last people to put the wheels on used, then to spin the bolts back in before using a torque wrench to tighten to the correct torque!

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I agree with you. I bought a cheap 18 volt one off e bay, said 400 nm, but would not shift any wheel nuts, even the Mercedes ones which are 120 mm.
It does work on smaller stuff, so speeds a strip down.
Hence why looking to spend a bit more. Ryobi or DeWalt depending what I can afford.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have one of those already and it will not loosen wheel bolts, all cars are correctly tightened with a torque wrench, Mini's at 140 NM and merc at 120MN.
I looked at the Draper STORMFORCE as was good price, but someone said they are no good.
So looking at a make called HiKOKO (think that's how its spelt) which has good reviews but costs a bit
And De Walt, again good reviews but cost a bit.
Has any one used any of these ?, i am tempted by the Draper, as about £140, and some people say its good, others say its not (ho hum)
I am not a garage, just a home mechanic, but now have four cars to keep going (daughters have theirs now) and i seem to be removing wheels every week to do something.
Also bear in mind that the ML270 is 17 years old, and anything i seem to replace is very tight or rusted.
If i could just carry on with a breaker bar, i would, its not a strength thing, its pain for days after.

Comments please

Hikoki used to be Hitachi, no idea why they changed the name it was about 3 years ago.

https://www.hikoki-powertools.co.uk/

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hi OP,

I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis but glad you are still interested in wrenching and not letting it stop you :)

Here is a thread I started earlier on impact wrenches, which could be worth a quick scan to see if there is anything helpful.

I ended up going for the DCF894N which I have used a few times and quite like it.

Somebody else has recommended Milwaukee.. I believe they are incredible tools, but probably a little overkill for home use where you won't be hammering them every day but only occasionally. For that reason I settled on DeWalt as they are a bit cheaper but still very capable and reputable.

Also, as a side note given your diagnosis, I will mention powered ratchet I got, which you might find useful. In contradiction to what I have just said, I did buy this Milwaukee 3/8" ratchet as a complete luxury if I am honest. I couldn't see any other brands around that sold these so I begrudgingly paid Milwaukee the high price.

Best of luck with it all :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi OP,

I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis but glad you are still interested in wrenching and not letting it stop you :)

Here is a thread I started earlier on impact wrenches, which could be worth a quick scan to see if there is anything helpful.

I ended up going for the DCF894N which I have used a few times and quite like it.

Somebody else has recommended Milwaukee.. I believe they are incredible tools, but probably a little overkill for home use where you won't be hammering them every day but only occasionally. For that reason I settled on DeWalt as they are a bit cheaper but still very capable and reputable.

Also, as a side note given your diagnosis, I will mention powered ratchet I got, which you might find useful. In contradiction to what I have just said, I did buy this Milwaukee 3/8" ratchet as a complete luxury if I am honest. I couldn't see any other brands around that sold these so I begrudgingly paid Milwaukee the high price.

Best of luck with it all :)
Now I don't think that's a bad price for that ratchet.... The air version of that was one of our favourite tools when building engines back in the 80s.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Only thing with cordless tools is battery interchangeability, price and availability of replacements. Having in the past had to bin a number of cordless tools due to battery failure and non availability of replacement (and high cost of re-celling) my main cordless tools are now Metabo, 2 x 10.8v (combidrill and sabre saw) and 2 x 18V (combi drill and multi tool), the 10.8v combidrill is so good the 18v gets very little use these days! The other ones I have are Parkside (Lidl), a Dremmel type thing that is OK and a 1/2" impact wrench that is only useful for spinning wheel bolts out (after cracking with a knuckle bar or similar) and back in despite supposedly giving up to 400Nm on breakout but only 100Nm on make-up. Might have to treat myself to a Metabo one some day!

As for the air ratchet, used mine a lot in the days of car mechanicing, especially on son's MG Midget, but these days it's an ornament on the garage wall along with the air drill (small handy thing) and an air chisel that I could never get the hang of using.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
I originally bought a cheap mains one. This works well for stubborn bolts. Then I bought the Lidl Parkside 20v impact. You have to crack some bolts manually. But otherwise, I'm happy.

I bought the Electric (240v) Impact from Lidl quite a while ago now and it loosens bolts/nuts that I normally have to bring out the 2 foot extension for!
Amazingly I only paid £39.99 for it but now they sell on Ebay for around 60 quid!

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
All the videos of the Ryobi 18volt wrench show it removing wheel bolts with ease, that is all i require.
Does anyone here use one and can comment it does actually do what's on the tin !!

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Only thing with cordless tools is battery interchangeability, price and availability of replacements. Having in the past had to bin a number of cordless tools due to battery failure and non availability of replacement (and high cost of re-celling) my main cordless tools are now Metabo, 2 x 10.8v (combidrill and sabre saw) and 2 x 18V (combi drill and multi tool), the 10.8v combidrill is so good the 18v gets very little use these days! The other ones I have are Parkside (Lidl), a Dremmel type thing that is OK and a 1/2" impact wrench that is only useful for spinning wheel bolts out (after cracking with a knuckle bar or similar) and back in despite supposedly giving up to 400Nm on breakout but only 100Nm on make-up. Might have to treat myself to a Metabo one some day!

As for the air ratchet, used mine a lot in the days of car mechanicing, especially on son's MG Midget, but these days it's an ornament on the garage wall along with the air drill (small handy thing) and an air chisel that I could never get the hang of using.

Totally agree, I had forgotten to mention that. I already had a DeWalt Drill with 2x 4.0Ah batteries.. and was comfortable investing in DeWalt further.. having an array of chargers and batteries isn't anybodies idea of fun.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom