cornering lights ,can i deactivate

sshamgit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 e220cdi estate 58 reg facelift
e220cdi 56reg 160,000miles,,, i taxi in the city... i spend all night long in and out of streets,, there seams to be a delay with the off side cornering light going out ,the nearside goes dim after a couple of seconds the offside takes a couple of minuets which means im getting pulled by plod and being informed i have a light out and the law about fog lights.......can some one give me the information on how to deactivate them ...or why there is a delay on the offside .... thanks in antisipation ......

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
They can be deactivated using STAR only.

My fogs turn on and off equally so it would suggest a fault with yours?

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
53 ML 270CDI, 2017 GLA200d
Sorry - I know I'm being really dull - but what's a "cornering light" ?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Sorry - I know I'm being really dull - but what's a "cornering light" ?

Basically, a fog lamp that comes on when turning or indicating at slow speeds. It really does help see into a corner

Last edited:

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
53 ML 270CDI, 2017 GLA200d
So just one light comes on ?

No wonder the cops are jumpy - I thought there was a law in UK that said that lights to the front must be in pairs ?

My understanding was that a flashing yellow light would flash on one side to indicate intended direction but white lights must be in pairs. (unless the vehicle was first registered before 1066 when it was permitted to have one spot light in the centre)

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Yes, just one light.. It snaps on but fades out, so doesn't look as though it's be switched on manually.

MB must have the required EU type approval, so UK law cannot act.

I have not had any problems from other road users or police. I wouldn't be without it now :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yes, just one light.. It snaps on but fades out, so doesn't look as though it's be switched on manually.

MB must have the required EU type approval, so UK law cannot act.

I have not had any problems from other road users or police. I wouldn't be without it now :)
I've had a few people say one of mine is out, I then turn to the other side and show them that one works as well I find it very useful. I thought it could be turned off on the dashboard though, or perhaps I dreamt that :confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Many other makes of cars have this feature now, and the motoring press love the idea

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I got a telling off from an old gent when my fogs came on as I unlocked the car as I returned to it at a filling station a few wks ago - he wouldn't have it that they were OK, just kept saying that the law said they could only be used in less than 100 metres of visibility (which is wrong now - there's no specific distance).

It has occured to me that I wonder how messy it would to sort your defence out if some similarly unknowing Bobby decided to nick you for inappropriate use of foglamps?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I got a telling off from an old gent when my fogs came on as I unlocked the car as I returned to it at a filling station a few wks ago - he wouldn't have it that they were OK, just kept saying that the law said they could only be used in less than 100 metres of visibility (which is wrong now - there's no specific distance).

It has occured to me that I wonder how messy it would to sort your defence out if some similarly unknowing Bobby decided to nick you for inappropriate use of foglamps?

I guess it will take time for this to work through the system,, interesting that they are called cornering lights and not fog when used in this mode

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I would have thought in answer to the first point, if the car is not moving, no offence. The fogs go out as soon as you open the driver's door.

Second point, provide evidence that the function is type approved by showing the owner's handbook.

prm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml350 bluetec sport 13 plate
They can be deactivated using STAR only.

My fogs turn on and off equally so it would suggest a fault with yours?

These are a bit annoying, and it says in m manual that you can turn them off, but ican't find it in the menu ( 57 plate w211):confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These are a bit annoying, and it says in m manual that you can turn them off, but ican't find it in the menu ( 57 plate w211):confused:

It should be in the lighting convenience menu,,they can be turned off in STAR

prm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml350 bluetec sport 13 plate
Malcolm, it should be, but i can't find it anywhere in the menu, so it'll have to be star then, ta

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm, it should be, but i can't find it anywhere in the menu, so it'll have to be star then, ta

We have known the odd car that has come trough with bits missing from the cluster menu's, and missed out when the car was programmed at the factory. One again this can be seen on STAR in the cluster menu

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda

He's right ....if they were fog lights,
but they also serve as cornering light and in this case, "get you home" lights - which you can prove by the fact that the fog light switch is off.
I like the feature and it's quite amusing being chased across car parks by well meaning folk trying to tell me that I've left my lights on. I turn around and say Have I? and they look back and of course they've gone out. Only I'm getting bored of having to explain to confused people who were only being nice that they're not going mad and don't need to appologise!

blizard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 200k sport
A quick question...
Does all E class CLK have those feature. Mine which is MY 2008 does not have this feature.
Do I need to do something to activated? I tried through the main menu of the car but i did not found any function regarding cornering lighting.
:)) I would love to have it also to my car

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On STAR you can go to the lights and try and activate the cornering lamps, if you have them, then they will work, I tried it on my car but too old

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
I guess it will take time for this to work through the system,, interesting that they are called cornering lights and not fog when used in this mode

dont know how long it will take some plod to realise about cornering lights as some still seem to belive we should still have a manservant walking in front of the masters car with a red flag .the law cannot do anything about factory fitted items . look at when they started fitting those thin cart wheels they called space saver tyres . not allowed to fit differing size tyres on one axle law went through the window then . same as the jags with that spear of a chrome moggy on the front of the bonnet some have fitted you can collect at least a couple of pedestrians on one of those

blizard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 200k sport
Thank you Television for your quick answer. sorry for my ignorance but STAR you mean I have to book and go to Mercedes dealer ? yes?
By the way my car is MY08 so hopefully will have that function.:)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom