Corrosion advisory on Mot on car I am hoping to buy!

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I don't know, it came via Mercedes in Exeter to a local dealer. Am guessing it was too old for them to retail? Just looking at the mot and service history, the last service was 2016 and MOT, then about 100 miles before the previous mot in Jan 2019 and I asked for a new mot and service upon sale. Obviously someone had very deep pockets when they ordered it to have all those extras. Even has front and rear parking sensors, is that Parktronic? There's a switch for it, all a bit too technical for me!

It is in such lovely condition all round, I had pictures sent to me pre valet and it was immaculate then! The service schedule was spot on and all by Mercedes. The seats aren't worn, nor the carpets. Both keys and all books etc. Boot is like brand new with nothing disturbed, even a set of brand new locking wheel nuts still sealed in the bag. Wind deflector bag, warning triangle. Spare wheel has never been unbolted.

Bit like the Mary Celeste. Everything works other than the nearside electric mirror so that is going to be fixed, it folds in but doesn't adjust, so I can't pick it up till that's been done. Heated seats and air scarf is lovely, even the steering wheel is electrically adjustable and tilts when you get out of the car. Great for short ladies like me who have to be close to the steering wheel. The seats took a bit of adjusting to get right but assuming they have memory.
The spare wheel nuts are for the spare wheel when fitted, the bolts are shorter. If you use the fitted ones you will damage the brake disc.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The spare wheel nuts are for the spare wheel when fitted, the bolts are shorter. If you use the fitted ones you will damage the brake disc.
You should have 2 sets... one in a black plastic case with 4 bolts and 1 security key and another in a blow moulded plastic case with 5 short bolts for the space-saver spare.

First thing I’d do (and did on mine) is remove the locking wheel bolts and replace them with the original non locking ones from the black case.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
You should have 2 sets... one in a black plastic case with 4 bolts and 1 security key and another in a blow moulded plastic case with 5 short bolts for the space-saver spare.

First thing I’d do (and did on mine) is remove the locking wheel bolts and replace them with the original non locking ones from the black case.
Does this apply to all models? I have a space saver without any additional bolts. Either at the time of the service or the kwikFit tyre change my box with the locking wheel nut was not put back in the car.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Does this apply to all models? I have a space saver without any additional bolts. Either at the time of the service or the kwikFit tyre change my box with the locking wheel nut was not put back in the car.
No unfortunately it doesn't... :(

I don't know when Mercedes changed the space-saver wheels but later ones are able to use the normal wheel bolts (I think they got grief for confusing owners and owners damaging hubs and brakes by using the wrong bolts)

The space savers which will take the longer bolts have "dished" or spaced out wheel bolt holes that mean they can work with the longer bolts.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

Oh s**t, Mine was missing when I had the wheels re-furbed and the car had to go to Robinsons in Norwich to have the locking wheel nuts matched to a new key. The key was I believe £28. You need to chase that key up

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh s**t, Mine was missing when I had the wheels re-furbed and the car had to go to Robinsons in Norwich to have the locking wheel nuts matched to a new key. The key was I believe £28. You need to chase that key up
I've got the key, but I don't have any other bolts to go with the space saver wheel.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No unfortunately it doesn't... :(

I don't know when Mercedes changed the space-saver wheels but later ones are able to use the normal wheel bolts (I think they got grief for confusing owners and owners damaging hubs and brakes by using the wrong bolts)

The space savers which will take the longer bolts have "dished" or spaced out wheel bolt holes that mean they can work with the longer bolts.
Does that mean if I get a flat just ignore and drive to the closet tyre and exhaust centre?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does that mean if I get a flat just ignore and drive to the closet tyre and exhaust centre?
It probably means your space-saver will work with the normal wheel bolts.

Having said that I'd test fit it with 2 bolts lightly wound in whilst it is up on the jack and slowly turn the wheel if it moves freely and without catching anything then you're most likely good to go.

Your manual should (assuming you've the correctly updated one for your car) advise if special bolts are required for the space-saver.

IIRC my W210 had shorter bolts but my W211 (late 2006) didn't and used the normal bolts for the space-saver

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If desperate and you get a rear flat put the space saver on the front and a front tyre on the rear.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It probably means your space-saver will work with the normal wheel bolts.

Having said that I'd test fit it with 2 bolts lightly wound in whilst it is up on the jack and slowly turn the wheel if it moves freely and without catching anything then you're most likely good to go.

Your manual should (assuming you've the correctly updated one for your car) advise if special bolts are required for the space-saver.

IIRC my W210 had shorter bolts but my W211 (late 2006) didn't and used the normal bolts for the space-saver
The user manual just says "make sure you use the correct size bolts for the wheel" I don't ever remember having two sets of bolts, just the black box that contained the 4 spare bolts that were replaced by the locking wheel nuts.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The user manual just says "make sure you use the correct size bolts for the wheel" I don't ever remember having two sets of bolts, just the black box that contained the 4 spare bolts that were replaced by the locking wheel nuts.
I have the below in my 09 SLK which is much later than my W211 but the space-saver spare is folded tyre one so it's tiny.

These bolts are a lot shorter than the ones for my summer (genuine Mercedes) alloy wheels

I also have a full set of shorter wheel bolts for my aftermarket winter alloys :D

B1.jpg
B2.jpg

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
My W212 2011 E350 has a full size steel wheel, so standard bolts
My wife's W171 2010 200K has a space saver wheel with shorter bolts.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have the below in my 09 SLK which is much later than my W211 but the space-saver spare is folded tyre one so it's tiny.

These bolts are a lot shorter than the ones for my summer (genuine Mercedes) alloy wheels

I also have a full set of shorter wheel bolts for my aftermarket winter alloys :D

View attachment 50708
View attachment 50709
ok thanks, I've never seen this in mine, maybe my nuts fit both everyday and slim tyre?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ok thanks, I've never seen this in mine, maybe my nuts fit both everyday and slim tyre?
It's made to clip to the space-saver so you can't ignore you need to use these bolts

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here's a pic of the wheel, probably not much use in posting this.

IMG_20190614_152909.jpg

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That car needs a wash, how dare you post filthy images on here, have you no pride in the car???? :confused::mad::rolleyes::geek:;)
Ha ha, Yes I know, she's never been so dirty. If it was dry tonight I would have washed it, before it gets dirty tomorrow driving to Enfield.

OP
NickyZ

NickyZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
280slk
Confused now:(

Will have a good look when I pick it up next week and see what's in the boot:rolleyes:

Top Bottom