Corrosion

cidermush

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vw beetle
Hi all, I'm thinking of buying a 109cdi 2.3.
The seller has informed me about the advisories on the last mot which was in feb. As follows: Subframe slightly corroded, vehicle structure slight corrosion, rear chassis staring to corrode. It's sounds bad, but is that exactly it, it's sounds worse than it actually is or is this going to be the Bain of my life and the thing that keeps me skint? Thanks in advance for your answers

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Can you weld?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Dig an inspection pit, buy a mig welder a cupboard full of tools, or leave your checkbook at the garage, or walk away.

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
The seller has informed me about the advisories on the last mot which was in feb. As follows: Subframe slightly corroded, vehicle structure slight corrosion, rear chassis staring to corrode. It's sounds bad, but is that exactly it, it's sounds worse than it actually is or is this going to be the Bain of my life and the thing that keeps me skint? Thanks in advance for your answers

It's a Vito, it will be rusty.

Buy a Vivaro, they're better vans.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde

Go on - give us all a laugh - what year is it?

(P.S. I have highlighted the correct answer above for you).

OP
C

cidermush

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vw beetle
It's a 53 but the chap said the bodywork has no rust at all. I'm taking a look on Saturday

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Wax oil can work wonders if not too far gone and it will keep any rust at bay.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I would always stay away from any vehicle with corrosion, all other parts can be replaced.

OP
C

cidermush

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vw beetle
Ok thanks guys, I might stay clear of this one then. Does anyone know a decent website to look for vito's?

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
slight corrosion

seems a strange advisory "slight corrosion" if its a proper advisory the corrosion should be at a stage that in the near future it could compromise the roadworthiness of the vehicle.

nearly every vehicle on the road of MOT age will have "slight corrosion" somewhere

Subframe etc easily protected to reduce further corrosion I wouldnt use waxoyl though it looks brilliant once done but come winter itll all harden and drop off

Id be more worried about floor bodywork corrosion, if you see rust stains coming through the underseal, especially on seams and around rubber plug holes (if they use it on vans) thats a bad sign as corrosion is taking place between the tin and the underseal which accelerates very quickly and can only be remedied by removing the underseal and treating

Id say the vans worth a look and if good underneath youre ok I tend to reason that if the external bodyworks ok then theres as good chance the underneath ll be ok too conversely if the body is scabby then the quality of the tinwork wont be any different on the floor

johncroydon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c180 amg sports plus 2013
The underside of mine had slight corrosion to the rear subframe and suspension, due i think to the previous owner living on the coast!
I didn't receive an advisory on the last MOT but decided it looked awful first glance for anybody inspecting or working underneath.
So i grabbed a pot of rust converter which turned it all black again. Will monitor it to see if holds it at bay before waxoyling over the top. A few on hear swear by waxoyl and it's quite a cheap fix if only surface corrosion.
john

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I rate Waxoyle very highly and have yet to see it "Drop off" in winter time..
Obviously if its sprayed onto road muck or manure then it wont adhere to the metalwork..
I have always used Waxoyle and I shall continue to so.

P.S Good Morning John..

Last edited:

johncroydon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c180 amg sports plus 2013
I rate Waxoyle very highly and have yet to see it "Drop off" in winter time..
Obviously if its sprayed onto road muck or manure then it wont adhere to the metalwork..
I have always used Waxoyle and I shall continue to so.

P.S Good Morning John..

lol, good morning simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am a waxoil fan as well :D:D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom