Could someone explain this??

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
I just bought my brother in laws old Gilera VX125 four stroke.
He sold it because it would hesitate when you tried to rev it, and sometimes it would just die, unless you feathered the throttle.

Anyway I got it home and checked the oil, absolutely beaten to death, black and thin and smelling of fuel, so I did an oil and filter change, I think it was the first change in years.
Now hears the thing, it is running lovely, with no hesitation and pulls my fat frame along at a fair lick of knots.
But how can an oil change cause such an improvement to the running of it??
I measured the oil I took out and it was the exact amount of what should be in there 1ltr....:confused::confused:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Anyway I got it home and checked the oil, absolutely beaten to death, black and thin and smelling of fuel, so I did an oil and filter change, I think it was the first change in years.
But how can an oil change cause such an improvement to the running of it??

I suspect the key ingredient in what you did was the filter change - I used to buy 1950s cars in the 1960s - 10 to 15 years old. Many had oil pressure gauges on the dash - reading zero!

Change plugs, points, filter and oil and suddenly it was a young car again with full oil pressure.

The other important factor, which is harder to measure, is the tlc. I am sure machines know when they are being loved and cherished, and reward you for it!

So its all your fault - no one else's! ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I suspect the key ingredient in what you did was the filter change - I used to buy 1950s cars in the 1960s - 10 to 15 years old. Many had oil pressure gauges on the dash - reading zero!

Change plugs, points, filter and oil and suddenly it was a young car again with full oil pressure.

The other important factor, which is harder to measure, is the tlc. I am sure machines know when they are being loved and cherished, and reward you for it!

So its all your fault - no one else's! ;)

I used to sell Jags in the 60's they were known to have a low oil pressure, but people did not like it, so just put a 5k resistor shunted over the 2 terminals and the gauge reads double, problem solved:shock::rolleyes:

OP
mercmadjim

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
I used to sell Jags in the 60's they were known to have a low oil pressure, but people did not like it, so just put a 5k resistor shunted over the 2 terminals and the gauge reads double, problem solved:shock::rolleyes:

Malcolm!! that sounds quite dodgy, I know it is not, but when you read it;)

Smudge

Reaction score

Did you work for Athur Daley?:lol:

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency
I think they are the same person, - I mean you never see the two of them in the same room :shock:

Top Bottom