Coupe door seal leak

Henkka

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 coupe 1988, 2.3l
Not sure if this is the correct subforum to post this. My W124 coupe door seal is leaking on both the passenger side and the drivers side. There is a small ”gap” between the seal attached to the rear window and the door when you close it. I’ve tried various silicone products to fix it but it just doesn’t provide a permanent solution. Is it possible to tighten the door or move it back a couple of millimeters so it doesn’t leak? I’m looking to buy new seals but not right now.

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
Is it possible to tighten the door or move it back a couple of millimeters so it doesn’t leak? I’m looking to buy new seals but not right now.
Is the window slipping under the seal at the top, when the door is closed? If not, that would cause the window to rest outside the seal, giving you a gap.

Maybe your door is not closing completely but is that likely on both sides?

What about a photo or two? It's difficult to envisage your problem without.

And if you are considering new seals throughout, I should get them soon as they may soon be unavailable.

And prepare yourself for significant expenditure, as I found out.

Good hunting.

RayH

OP
H

Henkka

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 coupe 1988, 2.3l
Is the window slipping under the seal at the top, when the door is closed? If not, that would cause the window to rest outside the seal, giving you a gap.

What about a photo or two? It's difficult to envisage your problem without.

And if you are considering new seals throughout, I should get them soon as they may soon be unavailable.

And prepare yourself for significant expenditure, as I found out.

Good hunting.

RayH
At work right now, I’ll try to remember to check the seal at the top when I get home. Here’s a picture of the drivers side from the inside, you can’t see it very clearly due to the lighting conditions but the gaps are visible.

Attachments

• 2215041F-B787-429E-B2A4-64AC4FF165E1.jpeg
    2215041F-B787-429E-B2A4-64AC4FF165E1.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 14

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Just a guess, i wonder if your seals have "flattened", meaning lost some of their contact.
If they are like normal door seals, hollow in the middle, i have in the past effected a decent repair by pushing an appropriate size tube up the seal, which takes out the "flattening" and makes the seal good again. Depends on size of seal, but have used plastic electrical 3 core cable, or windscreen washer tubing.

Of course, if seal "flattened" only proper way out is a new seal.

OP
H

Henkka

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 coupe 1988, 2.3l
Update: Gorilla tape. I figured it’s elastic enough and it *should* stick to the seal. Well, I was wrong. It didn’t stick at all (turns out the seals are obviously made to be slippery on purpose). Cleaned the seal, applied some spray glue and put the tape in there. It kind of sticks there now, not sure if it will fall off. Went for a test drive and the annoying wind noise had gotten atleast 20 times worse. It turned out I had my window open just a little bit. Stupid me was already going to disassemble the door and lift it up.. Now the sound is completely gone though. Hope it stays that way until I can get my hands on a new seal.

OP
H

Henkka

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 coupe 1988, 2.3l
Update 2: Drove the car this morning. The drivers side seal is holding up but something happened to the passengers side and the noise is worse than ever.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom