Cracking alloys!!!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
It must be 15 years since they redid the main road into out village. Holes everywhere ... patch on patch!
Lucky us this summer they did it !

But they used that crap system of leaving loads of stones for us road-tax paying morons to crush in.
Perfect way to shard blast your cills!
So For a month I had to go the alternative tortuous, long way out of the village.

And then what happened, we had the week of snow, and blow me the ****** road has literally disintegrated!
Piles of stone chippings in the middle and at the side of the road, and the surface has all broken up!

WTF a complete waste of money. Not to mention, as Alex found out cracks and buckles here we come.

I can’t even be bothered to ring up and complain.

Conversely drove over to Majorca a couple of years ago and the roads were perfect ... apparrently they get shed loads from the EU as they need good roads for their industry ... er tourism!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Whenever we go to France we can tell we're back within the first couple of miles of getting off the ferry just from the condition of the roads.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Whenever we go to France we can tell we're back within the first couple of miles of getting off the ferry just from the condition of the roads.
It’s a feature not a bug. Now one can navigate with ones eyes closed by Braille roads.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

Last time we came back from France, all was silent in the car up to the point of reaching Blighty ..... then the booze rattled over every pothole :D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It’s a feature not a bug. Now one can navigate with ones eyes closed by Braille roads.
It would just be nice if the bumps and hollows weren't quite so big....

We went up to a friends near Market Rasen last weekend and on the A46 just north of Leicester a pothole had suddenly opened up that was about 2 1/2 feet across, smack in the middle of the left hand lane. Road was being closed down to one lane and just up the road were two cars pulled over on the side of the road with obviously damage to the front suspension/tyres and wheels.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

We went up to a friends near Market Rasen last weekend and on the A46 just north of Leicester a pothole had suddenly opened up that was about 2 1/2 feet across, smack in the middle of the left hand lane. Road was being closed down to one lane and just up the road were two cars pulled over on the side of the road with obviously damage to the front suspension/tyres and wheels.

They’re full stops and capital letters A!!!

Yeah. I was taking K to get gym class last week, hit a new pothole on the A6 (that quality road!) that was so hard I had to immediately stop and check the wheel for damage. Astonishingly none. Yet anyway.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)

I found that one on the way home on Friday luckily no other cars around so i eas able to swerve around it, rang and left a message that evening for highways agency but I guess they didn't do anything right away. Still closed today btw

Argus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 Brilliant Blue/Grey, M274
When I was a kid, I'm 60yo now, we used to go to or through France for our annual holiday. The road surfaces were often terrible, they simply erected a sign saying "Chaussee Deformer". We assumed it was cheaper to put up the sign than repair the road.
Oh, how times have changed. It's completely the other way round now. Over the last six months I have driven to Belgium (through France) 6 or 8 times and it is a pleasure to drive on such smooth surfaces in both countries. And then it's back to a literal bump in Blighty.
Over the last 3 or 4 years I've lost count of the number of burst tyres or cracked/buckled alloys I've had (admittedly I do approx 55k miles per year). Still, so long as the Council squirt a bit of yellow paint around a pothole it absolves them of any liability. So that's okay then :/

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i personally would not weld alloys on a HP car especialy cast wheels ,other than to get me out of trouble until a replacement is sourced,and then ,not on the front. i dont doubt the welding skills, unfortunatly our roads have reached the stage where alloys are often subject to stresses that they were often not designed for. as others have mentioned a way to mitigate this is to have more rubber sidewall, which may detract from the overall car look.its just the world we live in today. even the most careful of us gets caught out by potholes on the odd unfamiliar road. had a G alloy welded once, not in uk tho, and a yr later it dissintgrated on a fairly fast road, fortunatly straight! , it made a bit of a mess of the underside of the car rear wheel arch and cost me a fair bit to put right.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom