alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Hi all

I have had my C63 for 5 months now.

One wheel had a crack, that was welded. The repair failed after 3 weeks of me picking the car up. I complained to the dealer who paid to have it re-repaired (at my choice of place).

The re-repair failed after 2 months so I made noise to the dealer and they replaced the alloy.

That replacement alloy now has a crack in it!!!

Im sick of pumping up my tyres every week and with 500 bhp there are obvious safety concerns.

Any thoughts on what to replace them with?? Our roads are obviously not up to the stiff suspension/19inch AMG alloy combination.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Jon Bell is yer man fer de wheelz... the ones I put on the 211 I’m quite fond of I must say. Zito something’s.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Borbet has just released a new range as has OZ (but they can be soft). Zito are excellent quality, there are loads of options out there.

A mate owns a wheel shop and will be able to help

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Borbet has just released a new range as has OZ (but they can be soft). Zito are excellent quality, there are loads of options out there.

A mate owns a wheel shop and will be able to help

Thanks both. Reluctant to change the whole set of wheels (dealing with tyres, TPMS etc)... but I cannot see another option.

Be able to help to repair the wheel or help supply new ones? :)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Thin tyres and thin alloys are only any good stood still, crash bang crack, crash bang crack then its new tyre time.
Some one I know had a Kahn Range Rover that went through many many alloys,
welds need a skilled hand and stress relief but then are still a compromise and need a magnetic particle type inspection at least.
Personally I would want something else.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks both. Reluctant to change the whole set of wheels (dealing with tyres, TPMS etc)... but I cannot see another option.

IIRC the TPMS is not in the valve but works on the rolling circumference of the wheel, tyres would just swap over

Be able to help to repair the wheel or help supply new ones? :)

You could repair but they should have a 2 year warranty and if they crack that easily they are "not fit for purpose".

You could go down to the 18" wheel and tyre combination to have some more "give"

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Think the TPMS is in the valve on the 63’s- is in mine anyway.
Not a deal breaker, there are a few UK aftermarket ones to replace at reasonable cost

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IIRC the TPMS is not in the valve but works on the rolling circumference of the wheel, tyres would just swap over

You could repair but they should have a 2 year warranty and if they crack that easily they are "not fit for purpose".

You could go down to the 18" wheel and tyre combination to have some more "give"

Two types - active and passive - mine has active with sensors.

True, unfortunately I sourced the (new) wheel from a private individual so no recourse on that one! I have thought about dropping down a size, which I may ultimately have to do.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can thoroughly recommend Northampton Welding for repairs. He does a fine job and can repair stuff you would think was past redemption.

Many thanks, have given them a call, they instil confidence. May try that. They cannot provide a warranty though :(

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Two types - active and passive - mine has active with sensors.

Mine is passive so no sensors in the wheels, you can buy the sensors and just bolt them into new wheels

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine is passive so no sensors in the wheels, you can buy the sensors and just bolt them into new wheels

True, its just another cost to add on.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Many thanks, have given them a call, they instil confidence. May try that. They cannot provide a warranty though :(
If you go there don't be put off by the look of the place - its a proper old school place. Scruffy, stuff lying all around but its a no BS pride in their what they do place. The guy who owns it is very approachable and good at what he does.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you go there don't be put off by the look of the place - its a proper old school place. Scruffy, stuff lying all around but its a no BS pride in their what they do place. The guy who owns it is very approachable and good at what he does.

For sure, they are often the best kind of places!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Drop down to 18s, go full on deep dished for the added zing and flair. You know you want to.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
The parlous state of our roads, potholed, cracked, poorly repaired, the poor design of speed humps all massively impact the lifespan of alloys.

Drop a size and increase the sidewall ratio? - it will give you a bit more 'bump' protection.

If you notice that you (everyone) wallop a pothole, stop and take a photo of the hole - try to put something next to it to give perspective of size. Check your tyres for lumps - inc inside wall.
You can look up if potholes have been previously reported online, if it has, and you later hit it damaging tyre/wheel, then you can claim costs.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Drop down to 18s, go full on deep dished for the added zing and flair. You know you want to.

I wouldn't mind something in the matt anthracite variety but plonking down £1500+ on alloys after having just spend £3500 + on gearbox work and a coilpack for the S smarts a bit!

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The parlous state of our roads, potholed, cracked, poorly repaired, the poor design of speed humps all massively impact the lifespan of alloys.

Drop a size and increase the sidewall ratio? - it will give you a bit more 'bump' protection.

If you notice that you (everyone) wallop a pothole, stop and take a photo of the hole - try to put something next to it to give perspective of size. Check your tyres for lumps - inc inside wall.
You can look up if potholes have been previously reported online, if it has, and you later hit it damaging tyre/wheel, then you can claim costs.

I do already with this, its mainly the manhole covers etc, and the general horrible state of the roads to be fair! Same issue as above with swapping the set of wheels, may do it at a later date.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
If you do change the wheels, it may be worthwhile looking at aftermarket forged alloys, inherently stronger than cast alloys (which is what the vast majority of OEM alloys are, as it's a cheaper process).
Aftermarket new can still often cheaper than OEM second hand too.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't mind something in the matt anthracite variety but plonking down £1500+ on alloys after having just spend £3500 + on gearbox work and a coilpack for the S smarts a bit!
These were £200 and change per corner.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom