Crap Sat Nav or Pilot Error?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yesterday I had to visit 2 offices which I hadn't had the pleasure of going to previously, I have Comand and am used to the lack of 7 digit post code. I use the first 5 digits of the post code and the street name to get me there or as per Alex above check the location out with auto-route or google maps before I leave and have a print out in the car in case my Comand goes missing...

Now back to yesterday I was given the incorrect postcodes and addresses for both locations before I set off so my print outs and info in Comand was incorrect. I had a colleague meeting me at the offices who was using Tom Tom who also had the incorrect information. Once We had the correct addresses we both entered them into our systems, he using full 7 digit postcode on the Tom Tom and I using the street and partial post code. I arrived first at both locations and both times went straight to the door.

I know I use my Comand a lot so I'm used to the entry method and always check the map before I press the "navigate to" button. My colleague was faster at setting off as I was checking that the location was correct but I arrived first because I had the actual location. I don't know what route my colleagues Tom Tom used but I know we went different ways as I turned one way and he went the other when we both set off from the starting locations.

My somewhat rambling post is that the navigation device is only as good as the information programmed into it and also depends upon the mapping and routing software.

As well as Comand I have 5 Garmin's 2 Navman's, 1 Tom Tom and the kenwood in the Caravelle (which is also Garmin). I like the large screen on the Comand and the Caravelle and the in speedo directions on the Comand. I also don't like trailing wires and items stuck to the windscreen. I also have a pet hate of sat nav owners not using night mode on their units whilst driving in the dark. I would like full 7 digit post code search but it isn't a big issue, and definitely not big enough for me to use one of my other sat navs in addition to the Comand.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
My somewhat rambling post is that the navigation device is only as good as the information programmed into it and also depends upon the mapping and routing software.

Totally agree. We have a Road Angel and whilst still enjoying the novelty of it when we first bought it we used it to navigate our way into town :roll:

At one point it directed us to turn right at a no right turn point and then navigated us through the car park of Wickes, out the other side, around a retail park, ending up pretty much back where we started :razz:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I loaded a map of the USA onto my TomTom for only £25 and took it on holiday to Florida with me. I even loaded a POI file that warned of the police speed traps on the main freeways as well as all the attractions, restaurants, fuel stations, etc etc,. Built in Sat Navs will never have the same versatility.

Regarding post codes, the US zip codes cover an extremely wide area and can take you miles from your destination, you cannot rely on the zip code alone.

Russ

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
As well as Comand I have 5 Garmin's 2 Navman's, 1 Tom Tom and the kenwood in the Caravelle (which is also Garmin). I like the large screen on the Comand and the Caravelle and the in speedo directions on the Comand. I also don't like trailing wires and items stuck to the windscreen. I also have a pet hate of sat nav owners not using night mode on their units whilst driving in the dark. I would like full 7 digit post code search but it isn't a big issue, and definitely not big enough for me to use one of my other sat navs in addition to the Comand.

Picture the scene - It is 08.00hrs and Blobcat is about to start his day by going somewhere not too far though but new to him. He use the 'triangulation' method to determine his best route by entering all the co-ordinate into the 5 Garmins another set of co-ordinations into the 2 Navmans followed by the single Tom Tom - now he has so much information to choose from he sets his super duper MB Command and just to be sure he is going to be able to find the place of his choice he double double double checks on his Kenwood which mixes everything up and he is now ready to set off - wait a minute its now dark so he consults his 3 Brietling, 2 Smiths Everight and his age old Mickey Mouse time pieces only to calculate it is now 16.55.31 hrs and too late to go anywhere, bugger might as well go back in doors and do some moderating - another day in the life of a moderator is all but over....;):D:D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Picture the scene - It is 08.00hrs and Blobcat is about to start his day by going somewhere not too far though but new to him. He use the 'triangulation' method to determine his best route by entering all the co-ordinate into the 5 Garmins another set of co-ordinations into the 2 Navmans followed by the single Tom Tom - now he has so much information to choose from he sets his super duper MB Command and just to be sure he is going to be able to find the place of his choice he double double double checks on his Kenwood which mixes everything up and he is now ready to set off - wait a minute its now dark so he consults his 3 Brietling, 2 Smiths Everight and his age old Mickey Mouse time pieces only to calculate it is now 16.55.31 hrs and too late to go anywhere, bugger might as well go back in doors and do some moderating - another day in the life of a moderator is all but over....;):D:D
Only 2 errors, start time was 07:00 and the watch is an Omega. ;)

Did just over 300 miles on Tuesday and a little more yesterday. Both days 44.5mpg on the trip computer :p

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Talking to a friend with a 58 reg 530d with built in satnav, he doesn't have 7 digit post code search either. Similar system to Comand although he prefers Comand to the idrivel interface on the BM

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
For me the best system I have ever used was the Brand new VW system with a built in Hard drive..
I got on retro fitted to my VW Golf .. I bought it off eBay for £850.. VW sell them for around £2,000.
I have had several TomToms which I really do rate..
But I agree that IF the built in unit is decent and efficient then its way better than sticking things to the screen..
I particularly liked the way it turned down the audio level whilst it spoke.. Absolutely everything was configurable on it..
I know I have allready said this but if there was a way of fitting it to the MB I would do it tomorrow !!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have had several TomToms which I really do rate..
But I agree that IF the built in unit is decent and efficient then its way better than sticking things to the screen

Even with a TomTom there are better ways than sticking it to the screen, a Brodit Pro Clip & mount, then hard wired is the way I do it.

Russ

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
COMAND not as bad as is being made out here. Of course, the little hand held stuff like TOM TOM is better, but to say that COMAND is useless is quite wrong.

With the Postcode (and streetname) I can get to anywhere I've needed to go with startling accuracy. And this is in my elderly Y reg E class with the 'old' COMAND system.

Also, it's more than just NAV, my W211 COMAND includes Bluetooth Phone, DVD player (works when moving) and TV. Can't watch telly on your Tom Tom now can ya !!:):)

Plus it looks nice in the car, and yes, I like gimmicks. :rolleyes:

m99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 220,AMG pack,command,Lux Pack,Tel wired blue tooth,full leather heated seats,paddle change,and lot
I agree,i had the latest 510 vw touch screen in my golf,a super system,daughter as the car now and really likes it along with the DSG gear box,its her first auto and i dont think she will go back to a manual again.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Last edited:

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A competent driver doesn't need warnings about speed cameras. His excellent observational skills taking care of that.

Just after I typed that, I was frantically groping my wooden table top, as I'm bound to have cursed myself to suffering my first double flash.... D'oh !!

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
:p I wouldn't advise it! :eek:

True romance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk280 (2008 face lift)
Oh, I thought I read somewhere that the latest MB sat nav accepted 7 digits of postcode. Maybe it's TomTom that accepts 7 digits.

If the latest MB sat nav only accepts 5 digits, then I don't understand why they bothered. It still won't find an address from just a postcode.

Useless!

Razoo

I'm sure on my 2.5 command you can input full UK post code. will check on the way home tonight.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I'm sure on my 2.5 command you can input full UK post code. will check on the way home tonight.

No sir 4 figures on the old disc and 5 on the 210 version

True romance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk280 (2008 face lift)
Ok just checked and yes you can put full uk post code in. 2008 2.5 command.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom