Creaking Rear Suspension

Stomper

Reaction score
Ever since I changed the rear driver’s side spring I've had a creaking noise when I go over a bump (sounds like an old door hinge). I've done the 'spray with silicone' bit, which made no difference. I think the noise is coming from the strut rather than from any of the bushes but hard to be sure.
Could anyone tell me are there any known issues with the shocks once disturbed or could it be a bad spring causing the noise?
Thanks in advance Dave.
p.s. It's a shame that we can't attach audio files to our posts, as a lot of posts seem to be about knocks, rattles or squeaks. One for the moderators I guess though probably down to file size issues.:?:

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Ever since I changed the rear driver’s side spring I've had a creaking noise when I go over a bump (sounds like an old door hinge). I've done the 'spray with silicone' bit, which made no difference. I think the noise is coming from the strut rather than from any of the bushes but hard to be sure.
Could anyone tell me are there any known issues with the shocks once disturbed or could it be a bad spring causing the noise?
Thanks in advance Dave.
p.s. It's a shame that we can't attach audio files to our posts, as a lot of posts seem to be about knocks, rattles or squeaks. One for the moderators I guess though probably down to file size issues.:?:
I had this creaking when I replaced the rear anti roll bar drop link with the one that I made, sorted it buy nipping the bush fixing up a bit tighter, then a bit more, then a bit more, it's been ok for months now. I used different bush material than origional though, mine creaked also even when you rocked the motor from side to side using the roof bars cant vremember it doing this with the old set up though so I could be wrong

Kevin

5pares

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi
The main bush in the bottom of the hub which goes to the bottom arm is common for squeaking,also is the spring seated correctly and not hitting the arm?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Doing some reading last night on these noises after a strut has been replaced and MB say just loosen the top nuts and re tighten

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Suspension bushes should be tightened only when the axle is at the correct level (as if the car is down on it's wheels) otherwise the various bushes will not be in a 'relaxed' position when the car is standing on it's wheels - they will be under undue tension and twisted.

This will then be exacerbated when the car is moving and the bushes under tension will wear out quickly.

OP
Stomper

Stomper

Reaction score
First thanks for the quick replies (so I'm not the only one on here at stupid o'clock Kevin :)). I should have included in my original post that to eliminate the anti roll bar and bushes that I had removed the drop link and shook the car and noise was still there.
As far as I'm aware the spring is correctly seated and I lubricated its mating surfaces to top and bottom mounts.
Before tightening the wishbone bushes I jacked the suspension leg up to approx the level it should be sat with wheels on.
My next step will be to try Malcolm’s suggestion and slacken/tighten the top nuts (it would be the top ones - sods to get to!). Will try it as soon as I get time and a dry day and report back.

Regarding my comment about sound files - after a bit of time to think I now realise that innuendo factor of including sound files of squeaking bushes and springs might be too much for certain members who can barely contain themselves already :mrgreen:.
Cheers Dave.

jabbascot

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163
Did it work

First thanks for the quick replies (so I'm not the only one on here at stupid o'clock Kevin ). I should have included in my original post that to eliminate the anti roll bar and bushes that I had removed the drop link and shook the car and noise was still there.
As far as I'm aware the spring is correctly seated and I lubricated its mating surfaces to top and bottom mounts.
Before tightening the wishbone bushes I jacked the suspension leg up to approx the level it should be sat with wheels on.
My next step will be to try Malcolm’s suggestion and slacken/tighten the top nuts (it would be the top ones - sods to get to!). Will try it as soon as I get time and a dry day and report back.

Hi did it cure noise

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom