Crooks are us - shoddy petrol

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Dewalt is just black and decker in a yellow package these days…:(
I have a 42 year old B&D (blue version) that has had a huge amount of use and is still going strong. OTOH I have a Bosch hammer drill (also purchased for 1 job :rolleyes:) where the capacitor exploded after a couple of years - luckily an easy repair.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I have a 42 year old B&D (blue version) that has had a huge amount of use and is still going strong. OTOH I have a Bosch hammer drill (also purchased for 1 job :rolleyes:) where the capacitor exploded after a couple of years - luckily an easy repair.
I’ve a 30+ yr old Bosch Pro SDS drill, thankfully it’s mains so still works perfectly

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Be interesting to see who is using the oldest power tool on a regular basis.

I have some of my fathers somewhere but I don't use them.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I still have my farther’s black and decker drill, I know it’s as old as I can remember so 35+ years, still going well when I need to do wire brushing for extended periods where a battery unit won’t last

Last edited:
OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
on a bike forum some bod posted this - if correct no wonder old vehicles would run funny on that fake drivel they sell

Before I am corrected on the AFR of E10 fuel, I appreciate that the stoichiometric of E10 is 14.3 to 1 , the op`s bike is a TC and recommended to run on E5 98 octane.

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
I have my fathers 1/2 inch Snap-on socket wrench and extension bar. He bought as ex WD and secondhand many years ago. The extension bar has lost it”s Chrome finish so is a very pleasant copper/bronze colour. About 20 years ago I went for a new ratchet internal mechanism at Snap-On base near Warrington. The manager wanted to buy both pieces off me for his glass display cabinet, said he would replace with brand new equivalents. I refused as at the time still strictly my dad’s but in my tool box. Never regretted that choice for one moment, still have them, but rarely used these days, as I use a 3/8 inch set my dad got me for my 16th birthday when I got my first motorbike, a Triumph Tiger Cub.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I have my fathers 1/2 inch Snap-on socket wrench and extension bar. He bought as ex WD and secondhand many years ago. The extension bar has lost it”s Chrome finish so is a very pleasant copper/bronze colour. About 20 years ago I went for a new ratchet internal mechanism at Snap-On base near Warrington. The manager wanted to buy both pieces off me for his glass display cabinet, said he would replace with brand new equivalents. I refused as at the time still strictly my dad’s but in my tool box. Never regretted that choice for one moment, still have them, but rarely used these days, as I use a 3/8 inch set my dad got me for my 16th birthday when I got my first motorbike, a Triumph Tiger Cub.
A lot of new Snap-on is made in China, you did well there ;)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
There's a shop near me that sells all kinds of cheap stuff, gardening, timber, stationery and lots of other things, but they have a quite extensive tool section. Many of these are Draper and other cheap brands, probably all made in the Far East. I needed a wrench for a household job, a stilson, and I got one there for £7.95. It did the job I needed it for, I never realised before that I needed one, but it's come in handy for several other jobs as well, useful thing to have around. I was expecting to have to pay much more, but it's solid and looks as if it will last forever. Friends have told me much the same thing about their experiences, some of them full time tradesmen, not retired amateurs like me, and as one told me, if something cheap is good enough for the job, why pay more?
Someone else that finds bargains in InExcess too.

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
Someone else that finds bargains in InExcess too.

Yes, that place can often be very useful sometimes can't it.

I noticed in a photo you posted of your car that you live in the same road as me, I'm about a mile further out of town just beyond Herbert Avenue.

Small world.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Yes, that place can often be very useful sometimes can't it.

I noticed in a photo you posted of your car that you live in the same road as me, I'm about a mile further out of town just beyond Herbert Avenue.

Small world.
Very small world Rob.:)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
@Botus
Last year I did a same day comparison of E5 Vs E10 on a trip to France
We started in the UK on a full tank. Drove to Folkestone crossed the channel and then drove to an hour north of Bordeaux. We refilled a near empty tank with E10 at Rouen. The car MPG was reset at that time.
Vehicle weight was constant. Weather conditions were consistent over the entire trip. Traffic conditions were comparable. We kept speed to 70mph on the French motorways (as we had in the UK).
Difference in fuel consumption start to Rouen then Rouen to destination was 0.1 mpg on the trip computer in favour of E10.

On the many trips to France we did where they were on E10 and we were on E5 we never noticed a difference.

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I have experience of
@Botus
We started in the UK on a full tank. Drove to Folkestone crossed the channel and then drove to an hour north of Bordeaux. We refilled a near empty tank with E10 at Rouen. The car MPG was reset at that time.
Vehicle weight was constant. Weather conditions were consistent over the entire trip. Traffic conditions were comparable. We kept speed to 70mph on the French motorways (as we had in the UK).
Difference in fuel consumption start to Rouen then Rouen to destination was 0.1 mpg on the trip computer in favour of E10.

On the many trips to France we did where they were on E10 and we were on E5 we never noticed a difference.
I have experience of E10 going back 6 years or so.

My Bike struggles to run on this stuff - its missing more than 10% of its go and can't idle - at the weekend it stalled 2 times at road junctions
the s500 seems to idle OK but its more lethargic than when running real petrol and both empty the fuel tank in next to no time now

its is pure maths that 10% ethanol causes a minimum 6% change in fuel consumption - there is 30% less energy for the same amount burnt with ethanol - so extrapolate that with10% of what's in the tank is now being useless rubbish and there you go - and that's before they develop any further magic - which is where Esso appear to be

the ONLY reason they put it in, is that its a budget octane booster - so they make it more cheaply - and magically it also disappears faster so a double whammy - sold on the back of some rubbish about the environment - when really its all about penalising slaves and wearing out their cars - meanwhile your company just introduced a scheme when the lucky one's can avoid 100% income tax leasing an electric vehicle and not paying any road tax - with this behaviour the world is just doomed

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have been running my lawnmower on premium unleaded from Costco and it definitely has improved it.

It now idles well, so maybe just a detergent doing its job?

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
I have been running my lawnmower on premium unleaded from Costco and it definitely has improved it.

It now idles well, so maybe just a detergent doing its job?

I think that with fuel as with so many things in life, you get what you pay for. On holiday in France a few years ago, I was worryingly low on fuel early one evening somewhere south of La Rochelle. As anyone familiar with France knows, it can be difficult to find fuel after about 6.00pm, and they aren't exactly over provisioned with filling stations at the best of times. I rarely use anything other than Total Excellium 98, but the first available place it had to be. A tiny two pump place came into view, and it was open. I'd never heard of the brand they were selling, but it claimed to be "95" and I had no choice, so I put in €20 worth, and my C250 Coupé hated it. Consumption on the trip fell by an immediate 5 mpg, and the car felt sluggish. I put up with it until the tank was nearly dry, and topped up with the usual Total, instant transformation back to normal. Far less dramatic, but a similar change adding half a tank of Shell V-Power to the remaining Shell ordinary already there a week or two ago. The car felt fine before but it's noticeably better now, and the mpg on the trip improved instantly. The pump label told me that V-Power is 5% added E10, but I've read that it's actually less than that, even maybe none at all, anyone know for sure?

Edit. On my first sentence, our collective problem is that as things stand, we're NOT getting what we pay for, not any more.

Last edited:
OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
since Sept 2021
std unleaded has to be 10% ethanol fifth in the UK and labelled as E10
super unleaded has to be labelled as E5, but has no need to contain any ethanol filth - its only Esso claiming to be free of ethanol in much of the UK

ethanol
destroys natural rubber
deforms / expands and ages plastics, causing cracks and leaks in certain older petrol tanks
is hydroscopic (absorbs water) leading to rust and corrosion - leading to holes in metal tanks and debris blocking fuel lines
grows bugs that excrete acetic acid causing pitting and erosion of fuel injectors, pumps and engine components (particularly so if used infrequently over winter)
starts to break down and age in 2 months vs equiv of 2 years for normal petrol
has a lower energy density leading to increased fuel consumption

and just as you describe it runs rubbish in older vehicles not set up with a engine management and fuel system expected to see that filth on a regular basis
so far exxon just sent automated std junk reply - we got your email, we do care etc.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yawn.....

In 8 years of using E10 on every trip to France I haven't had any issues.
I have my 129 near permanently based in France and in long term storage - no issues. Starts instantly on the key every time even when the fuel is over a year old and runs sweet as a nut.
I have my Smart Roadster in storage here and it's started every year. Still had the same fuel in it the past 4 years and it's only last year it started showing signs of being less than happy.

I will keep saying this. E10 has caused me zero problems in any of the 5 cars I've used it in.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
@Botus

Damn youuuuuuu with your facts and data! ;)

Top Bottom