Cup Holder stuck uk ... so wood cover wont close

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
This unit was working perfectly.
I took it out to clean it.
Maybe I compressed it, and accidentally pushed the hook tab up or down.
240F0D78-486A-4BF1-8A65-284D29D232B5.jpeg

It starts to compress under spring tension, but only travels 2 or 3 mm. Then goes solid.
It appears stuck in the up position.

81D0D34B-8D42-4209-BCF6-B8AD49ACF310.jpeg
I am not sure how it works. But suspect the wooden cover presses down on the lever, which allows it to compress. And then the lever locks into a new slot of that cogged wheel, near the lever.

Maybe when it was compress I accidentally pushed the lever either way that effectively skipped its normal position.
Obviously the thing to do might be compress it and then move the lever so its back where it was. But hell its now stopping compressing it!
I had hoped one could do the same thing in the up position but no way, any more pressure and the lever wills snap!
BCF2006F-B2F8-4ABC-A9C9-4C04F7C93339.jpeg

Is my logic right or is it something else?
Any ideas?

I dont drink and drive, so never use it
But bet its a fortune to replace. And the next owner may want it.
Anyone ever had this issue, and preferably solved it
I am stumped!

The unclipping action works perfectly ... but it needs to compress to shut the wooden lever.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Not brilliant news
Dismantled it.
Looks like a few cogs on the compression mechanism are sheared, that in turn stop the leaver lowering the cupholder to let the wooden trim cover it.
7515CE91-69D8-4B55-9A56-894CD52F6E0A.jpeg

So I removed this black part, and the 2 springs, so it compresses.
So I now do have a cupholder, only it doesnt raise 15mm when you open the wooden trim cover.

As I hardly ever drink in the car, I can live with a slightly shallower cup holder.
One of the pleasures of retirement, if you want a drink; you have time to find a nice bistro or pub and “be civilised”.
Gone are the manic days of driving 200 miles to see a client gulping a crap coffee and stuffing a sandwich down your face.
Sooooo don't miss the pace ... one iota! :):):)

And at £61 plus VAT, if the next owner wants it as ex. the factory he can buy it. LOL

I don't bodge repairs, but I actually think I would rather have the cubby hole space for useful stuff.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
You've kinda proposed a problem, assessed it, and then arrived at your own solution really.
Top marks, that man!

A nicer problem to have!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
You've kinda proposed a problem, assessed it, and then arrived at your own solution really.
Top marks, that man!

A nicer problem to have!

True, as I never use it and its an add on extra ... I’d put this in the “issue” box.
Problems are like finding you need a new ABC front strut .. :):) glad that ABC stuff is sorted :):)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom