Curious Fault S350

DaveG38

Reaction score
I'm hoping somebody can give me a clue about this one. The car is a S350. The fault showed as follows:

After a long 300 mile journey, I re-started the car only to be given four fault reports on the display - faults were ABS, BAS, ESP and PRE-SAFE. On the display itself, only the ABS warning lamp was lit up.

I left the car overnight and in the morning noticed that the rear end was lop-sided - the offside was at least 2 inches lower than the nearside rear. At the same time, the power steering was operating, but noticeably heavier than normal. When I started the car, I drove it for about half a mile, still with the warning light and display messages, then noticed a loud whirring from under the dash, as a result of which, all warnings disappeared. On parking it, it was clear that the suspension had righted itself and all warnings were gone.

A day later again after about 200 miles, the ABS warning light came on on the M6, and the same series of messages appeared in the display. I then found that the cruise control couldn't be operated and gave a warning message. Also, the power steering became heavy as before. On stopping at a service area, and turning off the engine, the car then started perfectly, with no sign of any warnings, no heavy steering, no failed cruise control and no lop-sided suspension.

It's stayed that way so far, but has anybody got an idea what is happening? My first thought was that the suspension levelling system had malfunctioned and this caused all the brake related systems to refuse to operate correctly. Driving for half a mile or so, caused the suspension to right itself and thus all brake systems reset themselves. This doesn't account for the M6 failure, since I was doing 70 mph at the time. Nor does it make sense to me that it might have affected the cruise control.:(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Its too late tonight to analyse this,,is it a 221 please, it all sounds electrical at a glance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This has to be water or a faulty SAM,, there is no way that you can tie the suspension to the ABS or is there. OK a speed signal is getting lost hence ABS, no ABS means no speed signal for the speed sensitive assisted steering, so easy to put them all together,,,now the cars height is also coupled to the speed signal.

No ABS also gives the ESP BAS lamps and no CC

The car has to go on STAR

OP
D

DaveG38

Reaction score
So, if I read this right, most of these faults are simply related to either a faulty or temporarily electrically upset SAM unit. It was absolutely chucking it with rain all the way up the M6 when this occurred, and although the car should be well able to cope with this, maybe a bit of spray or whatever got into a connection and upset things for a while. Subsequently the fault hasn't reappeared, so I'm not inclined to do anything about it, apart from monitoring things to see if it recurs.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom