Custom din conversion CLK230 W208.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK230 Kompressor 2002 2295cc
Hi to all fellow Merc owners.

In the next week or 2 I shall be doing a single to double din conversion on my CLK230 W208.
I have been reading many threads on this topic and am far more familiar with the process.
Having said that, I am currently a little unclear as to 2 things:
Firstly, if I a m fitting a Asuse android head unit into the big hole that will be left, what adapter will I be needing to connect the unit to the steering buttons?
Secondly, will the new head unit have any effect on the current factory fitted speakers and subwoofers? I am unclear as to whether Matilda has a factory fitted amp, but she does seem to have a good punchy bass, almost like it has a sub and amp.
I have heard that doing all the work and switching on after install, the speakers may not work because of a factory fitted amp no longer running.
If I do have an amp, can I still connect it up and run it, or will it be lost and new speakers, wires and so on need to be fitted to get the sound out .

Would really love some clarity on this issue. At the moment I'm using a cheap naff FM transmitter to listen to my music and use hands free phone. Horrible sound. Sounds like 1950s radio waves.

Adam

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There's a new generation of aftermarket head units, built specifically for a particular model of a car, which means they fit perfectly, come with all the required adapters (CANbus) and correct connectors, and generally make the whole process as simple as it can be.

There are basically two types of these - one that looks very much like a COMAND unit, with very similar buttons layout, etc, and a bit more modern-looking one, with larger screen, etc.

Their build quality aside (and this is a serious issue, and a bit of a gamble), this would be my preferred route: no frames / adapters / fascias required (really do not like those - never look good), and no guessing as to what plugs into where.

I fitted one of these into my C169 last August, and it's been perfectly fine so far.
Pretty sure you can find a good selection for your CLK.

As to whether your car has an amp, and whether it's on MOST (fibre optic network) - this can be easily check by your VIN.

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
More of the US spec CLKs had amps, less so on the UK spec ones, unless specified.
Pop your VIN into vin decoder and look at the spec.

I just fitted a Sony Bluetooth CD single DIN into mine for £69.
Has CD, USB, and Bluetooth for music and phone calls.
Yep I've lost the steering controls, but it's a cheap solution.

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I fitted an Xtrons unit to my Audi S4 B6, they make vehicle specific head units, not sure exactly which one of these would fit your car if any but have a look. Yes I accept they're no Becker or other top end brand quality but they're not bad either and you get an awful lot of spec for the money. The photo shows the unit I had in my S4 which was a very good likeness to the original Audi RNSe sat nav unit.
Have a look and see what you think - https://xtrons.co.uk/mercedes-benz/mercedes-clk-class-android-car-stereo.html
Xtrons HU.JPG

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the heads up guys. Really appreciate the input.
I've got myself some adapter that will incorporate the steering controls. But, if I'm honest, I quite like the way the display works in the clocks, and the way the sound comes out of the speakers via radio stations and CD. I suppose I want it all though. Hahaha. I'm now waiting for the delivery of the harness bought from Car Communications Ltd. I hope it pays off. £47 and it's supposed to fit all ISO aftermarket. Comes with cage and everything needed to take out and insert the new. Just need to remove that little shelf between the radio and the tray under it.
So, it'll be interesting to see how this plan works out. So long as it looks like it's meant to be there and works as well as it did in my X-TRAIL, me and matilda will be happy Road users. Yes, sad enough to name my baby Matilda.
Will post an update and photo when the jobs done.
I love my baby. More than my BMW E30 325I sport. And I named her too. Chrissy.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Right. OK. Interestingly I seem to have some slight niggly issues and not sure about the install on my baby.
Having looked at the head I was going to swap, some interesting thoughts came my mind.
The head unit is not actually Asus. It is in fact a China assembled A-sure. It was great for the Xtrail, but I'm kinda thinking that I may need upgrading the speakers. I'm thinking of trying to keep her with original items for the car and to put something not as far west as you can get, I'm now thinking of a comand 2.0. it will work well with stock cones (No need to upgrade, they sound great), should play well with all steering controls and originalish harness (because the aftermarket one I have needs chopping as it is no way going to fit audio 10 Units) and the A-sure does not have remote steering control option.
How do I, put,-chop-and-glue-bits-on to a perfectly great body. But feel I want to upgrade the entertainment of her body. Sings lovely.
How does the comand sound to keep her in Mercs genuine settings? But I'm not sure if there's a tray or additional items needed. I know about the GPS ariel, aux input cable. Just not too sure on Audio 10 to comand harness connections. I thoughts would be great.
Long one that one.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am also sure that for only a few quid, I could opt for the Bluetooth aux input rather the jack plug option of aux-in.
I'm also thinking the display in the clocks should work with the comand unit?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Google on my phone should be fine for changing music or the steering controls.
She should be original with a sexy charisma.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom