Cyclist/Scooterists with no lights.....(rant)

flying haggis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 plate CLS shooting brake,2.2D SWMBO has 14 plate B class diesel
some car drivers are as bad just driving with front marker lights on ..... oblivious to the fact there are none on at the back

whoever thought just having lights on the front of the car was a good idea?? even old volvos lit all four corners years ago

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
and have insurance, which is proven by wearing a hiviz vest with ins policy number on it, there fore no vest= no ins =pull by police

this subject came up before and got quite warm with cyclist objectors .but i stand by my basic principle in one form or another.

we vehicle drivers must understand and be examined on the rules of the road , why not everyone else
pay road tax and maintain our vehicles
be insured to cover any damages to third party
given the alterations to the road network to cater for cyclists why should the general motorists cover that

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
some car drivers are as bad just driving with front marker lights on ..... oblivious to the fact there are none on at the back
Not to mention fog lights when there's no fog (there's a clue in name - idiots...)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Not to mention fog lights when there's no fog (there's a clue in name - idiots...)

Plus the fact that that is actually illegal, but where are the people who should be policing it ? Nowhere to be seen. They won't stop them anyway, not considered serious enough. :rolleyes::(

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Plus the fact that that is actually illegal, but where are the people who should be policing it ? Nowhere to be seen. They won't stop them anyway, not considered serious enough. :rolleyes::(
They've all been replaced by cameras. And we all know how effective they are at policing anything not speed related.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Its the same for all transport users, you get the idiots as well as the sensible ones.

I see a lot of bikes down south with no reflectors, dark colours, dark clothing and you just have to keep your wits about you. I feel that this is the rider's own level of IQ knowing the risks and taking their chances of being involved in an incident. On the other hand, you have those with multiple lights, flourescent clothing, mirrors etc.

I have more issues with idiots driving cars/vans with no lights, or just side/flog lights, fog lights when there's no fog, dumb idiots cutting everyone up thinking their 1.6 - 3.0 diesels are the fastest thing on the road, deliberately pulling out from junctions when there' no room for them, shoving into ones safety gap etc. Don't get me started on fcvkwit motorcyclists tearing through traffic at break neck speeds giving the other motorist no chance of seeing them or moving for them.

I am of the opinion, just run cameras, if anything happens the video captures it and can prove who is at fault from drunken idiots falling into the road to retards on wheels.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
With all this foglight talk it's got me thinking..i often run foglights on country road/unlit villages - don't worry, it's not to look cool as they're actually in the same light unit as the headlight in the W124...but because here where there is no reflective paint/catseyes it's impossible to see pot holes/the edge of the road without them as the main lights start further ahead so on a windy/badly made road with holes and an udnefined edge the headlights don't let you see where the wheels are going so are useless. Obviously on a straight wide a road at 30mph+ i turn them off as then looking further ahead is what is needed!

But is it really illegal to use them when there is no fog? Because they really are the only way to see potholes/road edge for teh first 20-30m so are making progress better/safer. I think it helps they're 80s yellow bulbs and not white too. Also not sure how they could dazzle as they only highlight 20-30m in front and not 200m of headlights? I'd personally rather the government made manufacturers retro fit non-HID Zenons from cars from about 2000-2010 rather than worry about foglight misuse as these really do dazzle dangerously, particularly when you are approaching a crest from underneath and the vehicle the other way with perfectly adjusted lights hits you straight in the eye. The authorities even realised this as they brought in laws to lower their intensity on new vehicles after this, as I'm sure Craig can confirm.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welsh stuff is 'orrible as is the English stuff. Even though the head distiller at the Norfolk English Whisky Distillery is the guy from Laphroaig, I think his name is Iain Henderson so really it should have been good when in fact it is very rough. Irish are one's I like a lot !! :)
Agreed on the Welsh stuff, just awful sorry- Iain does indeed run the Norfolk one but although he’s a master distiller you need the raw material and importantly atmosphere to mature..

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Agreed on the Welsh stuff, just awful sorry- Iain does indeed run the Norfolk one but although he’s a master distiller you need the raw material and importantly atmosphere to mature..

My daughter bought me a bottle of St, Georges first Chapter. I think that was probably part of the problem, it was too young. Havn't tried any since, that first Chapter put me off. I would certainly have thought that Iain being who he was would have recognised that Norfolk didn't offer an environment that anywhere compared with Islay. :rolleyes::)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
They've all been replaced by cameras. And we all know how effective they are at policing anything not speed related.

if it aint a revenue stream.........

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cardhu is my fav whisky.

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
We have all your problems with cyclists here in Oz. If there is a car/cyclist accident , the car driver is always to blame regardless of what actually happens. A common one here is cyclists overtaking a line of stationary cars on the left and then getting wiped out when one of them turns left into a side street, even though the car's had his indicator on for the last 5 minutes. Even worse now, in residential areas, and with summer coming, is the kids riding skateboards on the roads (our footpaths around here are too rough for them???). Some of the kids are as young as 10 or 11 and have no idea what a car could do to them. Why don't the cops book 'em you ask? What cops? Next time I see a cop around here will be the first for the year! And this is an older, almost inner city area of Melbourne!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good taste!
Actually Glenlivet 12yo is a lovely daily dram at a bargain price ....

i dont drink a lot of it i buy a bottle at xmas and it lasts till it does not, then its calva which i like too. to me the cardhu is a nice relatively smooth whisky.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have all your problems with cyclists here in Oz. If there is a car/cyclist accident , the car driver is always to blame regardless of what actually happens. A common one here is cyclists overtaking a line of stationary cars on the left and then getting wiped out when one of them turns left into a side street, even though the car's had his indicator on for the last 5 minutes. Even worse now, in residential areas, and with summer coming, is the kids riding skateboards on the roads (our footpaths around here are too rough for them???). Some of the kids are as young as 10 or 11 and have no idea what a car could do to them. Why don't the cops book 'em you ask? What cops? Next time I see a cop around here will be the first for the year! And this is an older, almost inner city area of Melbourne!

plenty of em on the rosebud. i was walking along the front there a few yrs ago when plod got out of his car and harassed me for siping a beer on the move (walking )!!! apparently that can be a 1000aud fine.... 2 weeks later south of Sidney i was stopped and "bagged" at 8.30 in the morning ! negative. suspect its all revenue stream based ....

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Cyclists without lights are everywhere, it's a long time since I have seen a bicycle with adequate lights that's for sure !! :rolleyes::mad:

Many of them that do have lights are also illegal. They are not supposed to use flashing front or rear lights!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many of them that do have lights are also illegal. They are not supposed to use flashing front or rear lights!

But at least you can see the ones with flashing lights and they obviously want to be seen. I don't object to that at all :rolleyes::)

Top Bottom