Cyclist/Scooterists with no lights.....(rant)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
But at least you can see the ones with flashing lights and they obviously want to be seen. I don't object to that at all :rolleyes::)

Agree, but it is just another area where cyclists break the law with impunity.

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
I have been blinded by a cyclist who had what was like a searchlight on his helmet, it was very bright and being on his helmet high off the ground.
Agree with the comments about young kids in dark clothing on bmx with no lights or reflectors, just noticed one last night because there were reflectors on the pedals everything else was black.
Plus bring back the old TV ads "wear something white at night"

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
As a cyclist and a motorist i feel the only solution is to completely seperate cars from cycles like in the Netherlands. The two do not mix well.

I am lucky in that im a mountain biker and can travel from where i live and hardly go on the roads using cycle paths and off road routes. If i do go on the road i am often quite afraid of the aggressive way some motorists treat cyclists.

If there was to be a tax on cyclists what would the VED be based on? Im sure the twats in the EU parliament could think something up to there financial advantage.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
There's an adult who I occasionally meet just a minute after I set off at around 6am, he always manages to cycle up the wrong side of the road, no lights, reflectors, no cycling clothing or helmets which themselves usually have some reflective stuff on and dark clothing. I only notice him as I'm driving below the 30mph limit, at around 20mph, just waking up, letting the car steadily get warm up and rolling along at idle speed. So I always spot him. If I drove like most people, nailing it along, you probably wouldn't spot him until you were pretty much on him leaving little time to react/avoid. He doesn't help himself as he never tries to hop onto the pavement or cross over to the correct side of the road for his direction of travel. He is an accident waiting to happen. Its also this sort that have little to no roadcraft.

Most of the kitted up cyclists, with lights, clothing etc are usually very good and more experienced.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There's an adult who I occasionally meet just a minute after I set off at around 6am, he always manages to cycle up the wrong side of the road, no lights, reflectors, no cycling clothing or helmets which themselves usually have some reflective stuff on and dark clothing. I only notice him as I'm driving below the 30mph limit, at around 20mph, just waking up, letting the car steadily get warm up and rolling along at idle speed. So I always spot him. If I drove like most people, nailing it along, you probably wouldn't spot him until you were pretty much on him leaving little time to react/avoid. He doesn't help himself as he never tries to hop onto the pavement or cross over to the correct side of the road for his direction of travel. He is an accident waiting to happen. Its also this sort that have little to no roadcraft.

Most of the kitted up cyclists, with lights, clothing etc are usually very good and more experienced.
He's not going to last long!

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
Many of them that do have lights are also illegal. They are not supposed to use flashing front or rear lights!

The Highway Code is continually updated...

Rule 60
At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
As a cyclist and a motorist i feel the only solution is to completely seperate cars from cycles like in the Netherlands. The two do not mix well.

I am lucky in that im a mountain biker and can travel from where i live and hardly go on the roads using cycle paths and off road routes. If i do go on the road i am often quite afraid of the aggressive way some motorists treat cyclists.

If there was to be a tax on cyclists what would the VED be based on? Im sure the twats in the EU parliament could think something up to there financial advantage.

If only we were built to do that, although I see so many unused cyclepaths I'm wondering if it will ever happen.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

one breed looking to stay alive the other not, or looking compo?

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles

Perhaps in cities then it works better with seperate lanes but out in rural spain cars lorries and cyclists mix together just fine. The 1.5m rule is enforced and obeyed by almost everyone (200€ fine if you pass closer than that) and it is advised on big flashing signs on motorways that cyclists are supposed to ride two a breast making overtaking easier. I must admit, I used to get a little bit annoyed having to treat them like a car and having to bother slowing down and waiting for a space rather than just passing within centimetres like is normal in the UK but then when you see buses, and fully loaded HGVs etc slowing down and waiting for a space to pass there's really no excuse not to do the same in a car. With common courtesy and common sense it's completely fine and there really is no need for all this VED, insurance, seperate lane type nonsense for cyclists just because there are a few idiots driving/riding around without lights.

PS. Not sure what the EU parliament has to do with VED I live in a country that is very pro EU and the VED is actually decided by the local city council, not even the government. The VED on my 1987 3.0d non catalyst is only 120 per year, well it would be but as it's over 25 years old it's actually "0" as you get 100% exemption. So I think it's the UK parliament you need to direct your anger at over that...

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I have done 13,000 miles on my bike in the last 4 years, I average over 3,200 miles a year, mostly fast long distance stuff. Like all cyclists I avoid certain roads and towns where there is heavy fast traffic. I always ride defensively. Most car drivers are fine, but there is always the odd knobhead, same goes for cyclists I suppose. We are all people after all.

My worst experience is HGVs on A roads, very scary stuff. You have to fight to stay in a straight line sometimes. Please give cyclists a wide berth as possible, they will thank you for it. Also please do not honk, we know you are there, it just annoys us.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Perhaps in cities then it works better with seperate lanes but out in rural spain cars lorries and cyclists mix together just fine. The 1.5m rule is enforced and obeyed by almost everyone (200€ fine if you pass closer than that) and it is advised on big flashing signs on motorways that cyclists are supposed to ride two a breast making overtaking easier. I must admit, I used to get a little bit annoyed having to treat them like a car and having to bother slowing down and waiting for a space rather than just passing within centimetres like is normal in the UK but then when you see buses, and fully loaded HGVs etc slowing down and waiting for a space to pass there's really no excuse not to do the same in a car. With common courtesy and common sense it's completely fine and there really is no need for all this VED, insurance, seperate lane type nonsense for cyclists just because there are a few idiots driving/riding around without lights.

PS. Not sure what the EU parliament has to do with VED I live in a country that is very pro EU and the VED is actually decided by the local city council, not even the government. The VED on my 1987 3.0d non catalyst is only 120 per year, well it would be but as it's over 25 years old it's actually "0" as you get 100% exemption. So I think it's the UK parliament you need to direct your anger at over that...
Well it's good to hear that Spain is a good place to cycle in. A lot of this may be down to the size and population density of your country in comparison with the uk
VED in the UK is based on Co2 bands (g/km) and the UK must follow the EU legislation set out in 2009 (EC 443/2009) and then in 2014 (EU 510/2011), the European Union Ambient Air Quality Directive (2008/50/EC) and Euro 6 standards (459/2012/EC).
Im quite surprised that Spain does'nt follow Eu legislation as a member state.
Sounds like it is the ideal country to use an old diesel Mercedes!
Is veg oil as a fuel legal in Spain?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
well thats it really ref spain ,the french are the absolute worst offenders ref following EU directives and legislation . i would be happy to remain in the EU on the same basis. maybe thats OUR mistake in leaving. do a spain /france and others stay take EU cash and simply ignore anything that seems to offend national interests.. find goods sold in france with uk instruction. very rare , how long have we been in the EU?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

We have our own tw*ts in our own parliament who can do that with no help from Europe (much like the other daft taxes and schemes they've come up with).

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Well it's good to hear that Spain is a good place to cycle in. A lot of this may be down to the size and population density of your country in comparison with the uk
VED in the UK is based on Co2 bands (g/km) and the UK must follow the EU legislation set out in 2009 (EC 443/2009) and then in 2014 (EU 510/2011), the European Union Ambient Air Quality Directive (2008/50/EC) and Euro 6 standards (459/2012/EC).
Im quite surprised that Spain does'nt follow Eu legislation as a member state.
Sounds like it is the ideal country to use an old diesel Mercedes!
Is veg oil as a fuel legal in Spain?

Yes spain has to follow eu6 for new cars but seriously any eu country can do what it likes with regard to road tax. Its good to cycle here and to use an old merc here as theres no rust but not a nice one as theyre all crashed into regularly when parking. Ive no idea if its illegal to use veg oil but i have adopted the spanish attitude ie just do it anyway. While you might have a limit in uk i really dont see how anyones going to find out there either so it is effectively legal there too. Theres not much point here anyway as diesel is 1.10 and veg oil 95c

One thing spain do ignore that works well is lorries are not limited to 90kmh as the eu says. Ive been known to follow a 44t one for miles at 105kmh gps confirmed when i want to get 55mpg. That said theres less traffic and also lorries here wait for cyclists and dont bully/barge their way in so its fine they dont bother with the limiters...not sure id want 3 lanes of lorries on cars bumpers at 105kmh on the m25!

Many of the differences are traffic density and road design related but the fact cars arent prized posessions/status here helps as people dont take it personally getting somewhere slower. There's also less accidents among the youth despite excessive drink driving as they dont all race around like idiots when they pass their test (as im ashamed to admit i did too). Its just not the culture here.

If someone cuts in atlast minute people will brake to let them in than get angry about it. It means theres less ofit in general. Its just a nicer more respectful way to drive.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the Uk it is legal to use a quite huge amount of veg oil to power a car but i know in Italy it is not allowed at all. Good to hear it's use is ok in Spain!
Yes eu6 is the latest set of emissions standards from our lords and masters but as the name implies it was preceeded by 5,4,3,2 &1 which have tax implications for UK drivers in London (and probably every other city in the near future).
Im afraid you are not correct that an eu member state can do what they like with regards to road tax as these eu directives apply to all member states. It may be the case currently that Spain as a whole does not currently follow them but you will have to at some time in the future which may somewhat blunt Spains current pro EU stance.
Sounds like drivers in Spain have a much better attitude than us Brits!

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
Many of them that do have lights are also illegal. They are not supposed to use flashing front or rear lights!

Highway Code rule 60 says that flashing lights can be used. Law RVLR Regs 13, 18 & 24 states that front lights must be white and rear ones red.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Im afraid you are not correct that an eu member state can do what they like with regards to road tax as these eu directives apply to all member states. It may be the case currently that Spain as a whole does not currently follow them but you will have to at some time in the future which may somewhat blunt Spains current pro EU stance.
Can you quote the directive?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
directive called ..do as we say not as we do. cancel brexit and follow this directive..

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
So frustrating indeed.. I agree there are also degenerate car drivers too and that probably motorcyclists are the worst.

Cycling is great as it helps reduce the cost of living for many who need that and also reduces congestions, emissions and promotes exercise.

I'm not sure I could get behind any kind of insurance or tax that would cost more than a nominal, say £50 per year. I would happily back and campaign for strong enforcement of the rules and fines to follow suit.

I remember a debate a few years ago in Ireland that it was difficult to fine a cyclist because they had no registration..well..the police don't seem to have a problems getting details out of people for other issues non driving related.

To fuel my frustration... last evening, a clown on an e-scooter crossed the road at an arbitrary point, wearing all black and no lights....as I was approaching said point. He ended up going my direction so I pulled up along side him and waived for attention.....after giving him a moment to remove his earplugs....I told him he needed to get some lights and that it was for his own safety. he sniggered (the only way I could describe it). I literally can't remember the rest as I was kind of in a rage at that point.

I feel like the police have a lot to answer for on this one.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom