Cylinder Head Gasket Gone

robertmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 1996, 190E 1993, AC Cobra replica.
Hi folks - I would appreciate some advice!
I have a nice 1996 W124 E220 coupe. It started loosing a little water with no sign of a leak anywhere other than steam and water dripping from the exhaust, so I reckon the cylinder head gasket has gone. I intend to do the work myself. I have done cylinder head gaskets before but on older simpler cars so any advice on removal of the modern complicated bits (and pitfalls to avoid) would be welcome. I have heard somewhere that you should renew the head bolts but why is this and is it required on this model? Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Xtractorfan,, these things do work on small leaks,,if it does not then I can give you a few DIYs on changing it

Dave Brooker

Reaction score
I have a nice 1996 W124 E220 coupe. It started loosing a little water with no sign of a leak anywhere other than steam and water dripping from the exhaust, so I reckon the cylinder head gasket has gone. I intend to do the work myself. I have done cylinder head gaskets before but on older simpler cars so any advice on removal of the modern complicated bits (and pitfalls to avoid) would be welcome. I have heard somewhere that you should renew the head bolts but why is this and is it required on this model? Thanks.

Make sure you tension the chain correctly, otherwise you can snap a cam.

OP
R

robertmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 1996, 190E 1993, AC Cobra replica.
Thanks very much for your quick replies. I am going to try SteelSeal and will post how I get on with it. Thanks again, Robert

simon_wall69

Reaction score

I would double check it is the CHG, they rarely go. Other people have posted about this and have found it to be something else and much simpler - I can't remember what though, sorry.

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
There is a product on the market that seals these leaks, i have heard reports that it works extremely well.. I will chek it out and get a name for you.. certainly worth a try on a '96 motor..
This is the link
http://www.steelseal.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=1

Hi Xtractorfan,

Do you know if this is any good as a pre-emptive measure? I don't think my head gasket is going just yet, but if it is starting to go but too early to show symptoms? I intend to renew my anti-freeze and coolant, so is it worth adding this too?

Thanks

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
whilst im all for making life easier and cheaper, surely this is just a short term fix that will, like rad weld etc, just end up blocking your radiator?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Right lads firstly I dont think using it as a pre emtive strike to cure a problem that might occur I dont think so.. but check with the manufacturers.. secondly yes as turbopete and jet tech have said perfectly true .
The only reason i mentioned this is because i got some info on it last year and then heard a lot of good reports about it working.. so my thots are. not for me..but technology has moved on a lot since the good old days and things do now work.. now if I were in the position of removing a head from a 96 motor, or using a new wonder cure I think i would go for the miracle cure..and as it has been road tested and works then it may just do the job

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Right lads firstly I dont think using it as a pre emtive strike to cure a problem that might occur I dont think so.. but check with the manufacturers.. secondly yes as turbopete and jet tech have said perfectly true .
The only reason i mentioned this is because i got some info on it last year and then heard a lot of good reports about it working.. so my thots are. not for me..but technology has moved on a lot since the good old days and things do now work.. now if I were in the position of removing a head from a 96 motor, or using a new wonder cure I think i would go for the miracle cure..and as it has been road tested and works then it may just do the job

Have to agree that things have moved on, and they get very good reviews in the trade press

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
but my point was, isnt fixing a head gasket but ending up with radiator blockages a little counter productive?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
but my point was, isnt fixing a head gasket but ending up with radiator blockages a little counter productive?

Perhaps Pete the radiator was partially blocked before it went in, and this has aggravated the head gasket

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i meant blocking the radiator with the sealer. if it blocks holes etc then surely it can block the small pipes in a radiator and just make matters worse?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
better test for co in the coolant first with leak detector, most garages can do this these days. if the blue dye goes yellow then carbon monoxide is present in the coolant, and can only really come from the head gasket. we do a few on the 111 engine so it is not that unusual. when the head is off check for tracking on the head surface in the area of the leak, if groove/s present then a skim is needed. if you are doing this job, get a haynes manual and follow the procedures - you can't go wrong. head bolts can probably be reused on this engine, check the haynes for maximum bolt length but they are always fine.

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
I used a hydrocarbons tester for a couple of years before my retirement and found it a very unreliable piece of kit for diagnosing H/gaskets. I find a pressure tester in the hands of a skilled technician far more conclusive

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom