Dad's Taxi has become redundant.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
My wee lad Stuart, all 6' 2" of him, lol, passed his driving test on Wednesday, hooray!

Dad's taxi has effectively become redundant, well unless he's out for a drinky poo of course.

So, today we were checking out the choices on his short list of cars.

A 1.25 Fiestas (82PS) and a Mitsubishi Colt (95 PS). We looked at the Colt first, an '09 plate in red, only 26 thousand miles on the clock but rather sadly in need of some TLC for the body work. Shame really as it was still a nice tight wee car mechanically speaking.

It's a pity Stuarts nick name is "big foot". :shock: :D He was not happy about the lack of space between the clutch pedal and the centre console for his left foot at all, it was the only thing that put him off the car. You know how it is, comfort in the driving seat is all. He knew I would help him get the bodywork sorted out in short order so, the TLC element of it didn't bother him in the slightest.
It's a shame he nixed it as, I'd have preferred looking after it, to looking after a Fiesta. Less work involved I'd think. :D Some touch up and a polish/blend and it would have looked fine.

Stuart learned to drive on a Fiesta so I was kind of expecting that he would want to go down that road and have one of his own. Fortunately, I found a '10 plate in blue at an Evans Halshaw so, we also had a look at that too, we couldn't take it for a test drive though as it was totally buried three rows back on the lot, I reckon it would have taken about two hours to get it dug out :shock: and Stuart was due to start work soon. The one hour drive to get home didn't help either, lol. :rolleyes:

We got the Fiesta started with the help of a battery starter pack as it had been lying on the lot for a couple of weeks, and gave the body work the once over, fortunately, it seemed in good order, no smoke from the exhaust and running nicely. The interior was none to shabby either, the only issue, such as it was, was the washer bottle cap was missing and they promised to replace that. So, the deal was done, on the proviso that everything was a ok on the test drive, which will take place next Sunday.

The milage on my Merc will now climb at a significantly less exponential rate. :D:D:D

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
We have just bought a Zetac Fiasco for Scott , he previously had a 107 which was a hand me down from his sister.

Great wee car with loads of room for us 6`2" ers , just watch the road tax as some are £0 , £20 , £30 , £120 depending on which way the emissions tax wind is blowing.

Insurance through Admiral for a 21 yo with three years NCB was £600 with his older sister on the policy, not too bad but double what the 107 was.

Only downside for him is that he now owes us £5k

Kenny

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
But now you'll get "Daaaad ..... can you just help do this on my car" :D

Emily now drives me & her Mum to/from places ;)

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Stuart is a Very lucky lad to have such a great Mentor as your good self Jimbo.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have just bought a Zetac Fiasco for Scott , he previously had a 107 which was a hand me down from his sister.

Great wee car with loads of room for us 6`2" ers , just watch the road tax as some are £0 , £20 , £30 , £120 depending on which way the emissions tax wind is blowing.

Insurance through Admiral for a 21 yo with three years NCB was £600 with his older sister on the policy, not too bad but double what the 107 was.

Only downside for him is that he now owes us £5k

Kenny

Our Stuart is getting the car and his first years insurance from us, Yup! £5k too.

We did the same for his older brother when he got into Uni, so, it was only fair he got the same.

There goes my special 60th birthday holiday :rolleyes:

Ach well, if you can't help your children.

Last edited:
OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But now you'll get "Daaaad ..... can you just help do this on my car" :D

Tbh, I'm looking forward to it, Father/Son bonding time. :D

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Loved it when dear daughter passed her test years ago. OK, it was often "can I borrow the Astra tonight please", but there were occasions where it was "Mum and I need you to drive us to the pub tonight then come and collect us when we're ready". Payback for all the times of what was called Broadfield Taxis for Dad to collect her!!:D:D:D:D

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Kenny

I managed to get Stu a quote of £796-36 comprehensive for a year, which I thought was brilliant considering he's got no NCB at all.

He is down as the main driver and his Mum and I are named drivers.

No black box and no curfew!

Thank goodness for those two as, being a chef, he's out to all hours at night with his work.

I suppose being 21 and us living in a good post code area has helped too.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
You mean you didn't buy it for him? .

Nope , bought him the Clio when he was 18 and the 107 from his sister when she moved to London last year. He has started full time employment so now he is on his own and having to pay his way, including "dig" money for the first time.

We did look at getting him dealer finance but as he has never had any "credit" he would be paying £45 pm just in interest so we couldnt watch him getting ripped off so he can just pay us back rather than the finance company.

Kenny

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nope , bought him the Clio when he was 18 and the 107 from his sister when she moved to London last year. He has started full time employment so now he is on his own and having to pay his way, including "dig" money for the first time.

We did look at getting him dealer finance but as he has never had any "credit" he would be paying £45 pm just in interest so we couldnt watch him getting ripped off so he can just pay us back rather than the finance company.

Kenny

Ah, understand now, he's already had his special moment.

Aye, you do what you can to help them and teach them the value of money.

Stuart's been paying dig money since he started working at the restaurant when he was 16, they grow up so fast, it only seems like yesterday.

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom