Daimler takes 5% stake in Aston Martin

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From new 2002 SLK32///AMG, 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Cabriolet sold:-( Porsche RS60 3.4 :-)
Within the Aston fraternity, the cars are referred to as "Gaydon bubble cars" (they are made in Gaydon). Aston need no lessons from anyone in poor pre-paint preparation. They are (in)famous for bubbles around the door handles & in front of the hinges - the doors are aluminium. They also exhibit paint bubbles on the front wings -the wings are composite material. Aston sets new standards in complete indifference to customers when outside the 3 year warranty.

The engines and gearboxes are underwhelming in every respect.

Very pretty, but vacuous. I would never have one again.

You have shattered an illusion for me, if what you say is correct. :(
I would so love an Aston. Are they really that disappointing to live with? :shock:

Last edited:

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From new 2002 SLK32///AMG, 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Cabriolet sold:-( Porsche RS60 3.4 :-)
In all the years I have been driving, 99.999% of the cars I have seen broken down on motorways have not been an MB.

Clearly you weren't behind me when my alternator gave up the will to live. :rolleyes: However, most of Dorset was, on the A31 on their way to work that day. :Oops:

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 AMG Edition, Panasonic washing machine :)
In all the years I have been driving, 99.999% of the cars I have seen broken down on motorways have not been an MB.

Miffy,
are these UK figures? i knew some one working for ADAC in Germany and he said that around 60% or towed cars were MBs which I refused to believe. He was driving a toyota. How many Astons got to 400k miles??

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
When my then 6 month old C-class broke down (knackered rear SAM) it was taken away in a covered pick up lorry.
When I queried this with the driver he explained Mercedes weren't very keen on everyone seeing a 6 month old car on the back of a recovery lorry.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
I often think that when one company takes a nominal shareholding in a company they are going to supply with parts- e.g. engines its more to do with enabling shared intellectual property/ emission regulations than anything else. Makes the "legalities" easier. Aston Martin heavily depended on the Ford developed V12 = two mondeo V6 engines. It probably needs MB/AMG to supply big environmentally friendly engines as the development costs would be prohibitive for a smaller company away from momma Ford. MORE A MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE THAN ONE MADE IN HEAVEN METHINKS. :Oops:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
You have shattered an illusion for me, if what you say is correct. :(
I would so love an Aston. Are they really that disappointing to live with? :shock:

Just saw this Matt - the answer is yes and no. They are beautiful. That's the good part. Everything else was a disappointment (or at least, was to me)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have had my fair share of special coach built cars from the 60's and 70's, they all leaked in water and smelt horrible, we used to pick up all the leather off cuts and stuff it under the seats to make them smell better :D

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom